GDT: #49: Jets at FLYERS, Monday, Jan. 28, 2019, 7:00 pm ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Right, and that's a major flaw with the rosters Hextall constructed.
But it's not a NECESSITY from all 3 guys on the 4th line. Pimp has a history of being good defensively and a high IQ. As an example, Couts as a rookie had none of those 3 things and was a great 4th line C. I do think that the LINE needs a mix of those though. I don't want all 3 guys to be the same type of guy. And if Pimp was the 4th line C, then the other guys should have the speed and rugged play so that the line meshes well. Laughton has ok speed and will hit. NAK seems to play a heavier game based on his suspensions...lol. Bailey has that speed too and is big if he plays over NAK. And comments about Bailey was his IQ was low. Well Pimp can help cover for that.

Personally, I DO want a 4th line that has speed, hits but can also play defense and also score some goals. But we are also nearing the point when players with 3rd line upside, could be starting on the 4th line to force their way up. Laughton will be looking over his shoulder soon as will Lindblom once all the AHL guys get more seasoning and also guys like Farabee, Allison, Laczynski, etc... graduate.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Lindblom won't be looking over his should, he's top 6 potential and easily top 9.

Laughton is playing LW on the 3rd line but could be pushed down if G goes back to LW
NAK/Bailey at the RW bring speed and some physical presence.
Vorobyev/Bunnaman can compete in camp for 4C while Rubtsov goes back to LHV and makes up for lost time.

Lehigh could be scary ( / means one makes the NHL squad, one makes the AHL squad)

Twarynski - Rubtsov - Bailey/NAK
Ratcliffe - Vorobyev/Bunnaman - Laczynski/Allison
Strome - Varone - Kase
Sushko - MV - Laberge

Hogberg - Wylie (20 in November, so he's AHL eligible)
Klaynuk (22 in April, so will probably go pro) - Willcox
??? - ???

Lyon, Sandstrom, Stolarz

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
But it's not a NECESSITY from all 3 guys on the 4th line. Pimp has a history of being good defensively and a high IQ. As an example, Couts as a rookie had none of those 3 things and was a great 4th line C. I do think that the LINE needs a mix of those though. I don't want all 3 guys to be the same type of guy. And if Pimp was the 4th line C, then the other guys should have the speed and rugged play so that the line meshes well. Laughton has ok speed and will hit. NAK seems to play a heavier game based on his suspensions...lol. Bailey has that speed too and is big if he plays over NAK. And comments about Bailey was his IQ was low. Well Pimp can help cover for that.

Personally, I DO want a 4th line that has speed, hits but can also play defense and also score some goals. But we are also nearing the point when players with 3rd line upside, could be starting on the 4th line to force their way up. Laughton will be looking over his shoulder soon as will Lindblom once all the AHL guys get more seasoning and also guys like Farabee, Allison, Laczynski, etc... graduate.
*Shrugs* We simply have a difference of opinion. I don’t see Vorobyev as a good 4th line fit at this point in time. He isn’t strong, he isn’t fast, he’s poor on faceoffs, & he was very weak on possession & defensively in his 7 game NHL stint. He’s the kind of guy who offensively slows the game down, but he’s not ready to play that way in the nhl yet, & it’s not a good fit for a 4th line energy line. I want a 4th line that is fast, causes turnovers, & can keep the puck in the offensive zone for a shift, wearing out the opponent while the other lines get a rest.

Reactions: hatcher

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Lindblom won't be looking over his should, he's top 6 potential and easily top 9.

Laughton is playing LW on the 3rd line but could be pushed down if G goes back to LW
NAK/Bailey at the RW bring speed and some physical presence.
Vorobyev/Bunnaman can compete in camp for 4C while Rubtsov goes back to LHV and makes up for lost time.

Lehigh could be scary ( / means one makes the NHL squad, one makes the AHL squad)

Twarynski - Rubtsov - Bailey/NAK
Ratcliffe - Vorobyev/Bunnaman - Laczynski/Allison
Strome - Varone - Kase
Sushko - MV - Laberge

Hogberg - Wylie (20 in November, so he's AHL eligible)
Klaynuk (22 in April, so will probably go pro) - Willcox
??? - ???

Lyon, Sandstrom, Stolarz
So you are saying Hakstol was an idiot for playing Lindblom on the 4th line?

Good to know.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
*Shrugs* We simply have a difference of opinion. I don’t see Vorobyev as a good 4th line fit at this point in time. He isn’t strong, he isn’t fast, he’s poor on faceoffs, & he was very weak on possession & defensively in his 7 game NHL stint. He’s the kind of guy who offensively slows the game down, but he’s not ready to play that way in the nhl yet, & it’s not a good fit for a 4th line energy line. I want a 4th line that is fast, causes turnovers, & can keep the puck in the offensive zone for a shift, wearing out the opponent while the other lines get a rest.
Maybe I guess I don't think 7 games dictates a players ability a year later. But sure, let's agree to disagree.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Maybe I guess I don't think 7 games dictates a players ability a year later. But sure, let's agree to disagree.
It was 3 months ago, not a year. Maybe he’s changed a lot in 3 months. but I wouldn’t expect it. His 7 games gave a glimpse of where his game is in terms of what he offers at the NHL level this season, & I don’t think it’s a great fit for the 4th line at the moment for the reasons I previously cited. Sue me.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
So you are saying Hakstol was an idiot for playing Lindblom on the 4th line?

Good to know.

Gordon didn't play him at first either, he seemed to hit a wall earlier this year.
Real problem was Patrick's injuries and subsequent struggles threw off the lines.
Playing with Couts seems to cure a lot of forwards' ills.

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
This team is too good to be this low in the standings. I hope we can figure out a way to make a run post ASG break

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
14 points down with 34 games left and five teams ahead of us, our chances are slim and none.
We'd have to play at a 123 point pace the rest of the way and basically start Hart every game and ruin him!
51 points in 34 games to get to 95 (and Pitt would have to get only get 36 points and Buffalo 40 to catch them).

What we want is to trade veterans at the TDL and have the kids finish strong so they can build confidence for next year.

Reactions: 04hockey

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
14 points down with 34 games left and five teams ahead of us, our chances are slim and none.
We'd have to play at a 123 point pace the rest of the way and basically start Hart every game and ruin him!
51 points in 34 games to get to 95 (and Pitt would have to get only get 36 points and Buffalo 40 to catch them).

What we want is to trade veterans at the TDL and have the kids finish strong so they can build confidence for next year.
We are 14 points out with 34 games left

But wouldn't that be the kind of zany thing the Flyers have been doing in recent years? 10-game losing streak and still make the playoffs? Done. 10-game win streak and miss the playoffs? Check. 7 goaltenders before halfway in the season? Easy-peasy.

I just wouldn't be surprised with anything.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
But wouldn't that be the kind of zany thing the Flyers have been doing in recent years? 10-game losing streak and still make the playoffs? Done. 10-game win streak and miss the playoffs? Check. 7 goaltenders before halfway in the season? Easy-peasy.

I just wouldn't be surprised with anything.

I think theyll pull within 5 or less points but come up short.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
I'd rather they move out veterans, get a top ten, maybe top five pick, accumulate assets, then make a big splash in June.
I want the kids to play well, but I don't want to keep the veterans, end up five points out and pick #12.

I'd be pretty surprised if they even finished that high. They still aren't playing that particularly well, and will likely sag once Simmonds is traded and Hart goes through a bit of a rough spell which happens to pretty much all rookies at some point in the season. They'll be a bit better and probably pick up somewhere between 35-40 points in their last 34 games which leaves finishing in the 79-84 point range. At the low end of that range they are probably finishing 24-26 in the league and picking in the 6-8 range. At the high end, they'd likely be picking in the 9-11 range. So lets split the difference and figure they'll end up, unless they get lucky, picking somewhere between 7-10. They should still be able to get a pretty good prospect with that pick, or perhaps even move the pick in a deal for a young, established NHL player.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
You never know with this team but they will have a hard time still I think. They won two of the games being down 0-2 and got hammered in the first before winning against mtl. Hart makes losing difficult which is a great sign. Let’s all settle on having an all star Finn.

Reactions: BiggE

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
You never know with this team but they will have a hard time still I think. They won two of the games being down 0-2 and got hammered in the first before winning against mtl. Hart makes losing difficult which is a great sign. Let’s all settle on having an all star Finn.
Pretty much how I see it. This team still has some serious holes. They are still very young on D and are still forced to dress marginal players like AMac and Folin. Moving G to center, along with Patrick's better play of late has solidified them at center, but it's left them thin on LW and, as soon as Simmonds is moved, they will be pretty thin on the RW too. The other glaring weakness is whomever plays goal on nights that Hart doesn't start.

Fight4yourRight

“Chuck’s my guy”
Dec 18, 2017
The result of the last two games has not really been an indication of them playing all that well. That's mostly been Hart and high % timely scoring that won't really hold up consistently over the long term. I still see the same old unstructured firedrill system. I'll never root for them to lose, but I'd much rather they sell at the TDL, finish bottom 5, allow the young guys to audition for next season, and pursue their needs in the summer.

Last edited:
Reactions: BiggE

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Pretty much how I see it. This team still has some serious holes. They are still very young on D and are still forced to dress marginal players like AMac and Folin. Moving G to center, along with Patrick's better play of late has solidified them at center, but it's left them thin on LW and, as soon as Simmonds is moved, they will be pretty thin on the RW too. The other glaring weakness is whomever plays goal on nights that Hart doesn't start.

Yea plus Provy and Ghost to a degree continue to struggle. The coach’s system is not great and allows for 0 possession. And they continue to play slow. I wouldn’t be surprised if they lost their next 5-6. Not easy games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad