• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Kakko’s never experienced the NHL. It’s a grind. 82 games. Travel. Limited practice. Kid has to fill out. He’ll be better at 19. Better at 20. Even better at 21.

When I saw posters labeling him as a sure fire 60pt rookie when we drafted him, I straight up cringed. Dumbasses. Very few athletes dominate the best leagues In the world at that age.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
I’m just not old enough or knowledgeable about prospects to say how much of this is normal growing pains and how much is actual cause for worry.
It’s hard to say. I grew up watching mostly the Panthers and Senators of 1999-2010. I especially followed the development of Hossa, Havlat, Chara Redden, Spezza, Luongo, Horton, Bouwmeester, Weiss and Frolik. I also saw some spectacular busts like Rostislav Olesz. Still, while some players develop faster than others (not everyone is OV or Selanne), rookie years nevertheless provide insight into player instincts and work ethic. Olli Jokinen was probably the most peculiar case I saw during that time. He was originally a high first-round selection that seemingly capped at 3C. One summer, however, he just worked on his shooting and fitness, and became a nearly PPG player, all with the great Viktor Kozlov and Valeri Bure on his line.

As for Kakko ... I don’t like the trend this year. But he thinks the game well, and he has a powerful stride, so I would like to see him work on his fitness. If he does that, and really works on his shot, he could well be a PPG player within the next 7 years. He reminds me of Hossa in some ways — though he definitely has a long way to go — but he could also end up another Niklas Hagman. Andersson reminded me of Olesz: mediocre skater with unremarkable output but good defensive abilities. Chytil reminds me a bit of Havlat (sans injury problems — thankfully).

Reactions: egelband

MrPodz

Aug 16, 2019
Kakko will be fine. Watch him as he ages, we just dont know how to react to a 2nd overall pick on account of it never happening to us. Imo chytil, kakko in 2-3 years with panarin, mika, thats gonna be nasty. As for today, is shestyorkin on track to win a vezina eventually? His rebound control is so good, and confidence too, hes gonna be a hank, just carrying us to the playoffs. Of all the teams we hve had; we never had one that can score so much.... and are only going to get better. Doesnt change my point tho, we need a 2lw to replace kreider. Someone to keep pace with mika. As for buch, idk why everyone hates him. His underlying numbers are great and he has a low shooting percentage that will fix itself. Honestly, i know it it prob wont happen, but if the team gets hot around now, up until the tdl, playoffs r a possibility. It seems that shesterkin is getting easier starts. I feel like dq wants georgiev for toronto, and shest for dallas

SnowFort

Mar 5, 2017
Regarding Kakko - my assessment has been put on hold until next season. He and management probably know what he needs to work on and what training will fit him best for next season. However, you can’t do that bulk training in the middle of the ongoing season.

So next season I expect to see a drastic improvement.

wolfgaze

Interesting Cat
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2006
Earth
oKtD5v0_d.jpg

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
I keep reminding myself that they are all individuals and have different development curves. Hopefully Kakko keeps improving and shows he belongs on that #2OA list.
Svechnikov had 37 points in his rookie season. Similar usage, although Svech did get some time in the top 6 later in the season. If KK can pick it up just a bit fro her on out, he can get very close to that number.
While Svech is a more physical player, I think KK has more hockey sense. I also think KK is the type of kid to be pissed off that he didn't step in and dominate. He will work hard this summer and be back on a mission.

NYRangers0723

Apr 30, 2019
With every game Kreider plays, I’ve got to be thinking Davidson and Gorton are looking at each other and saying “What do we do about Kreider?”

It’s not a no brainer.
Good Post I agree. They know Krieder is extremely difficult to replace

Reactions: belford22

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Kakko will be fine. Watch him as he ages, we just dont know how to react to a 2nd overall pick on account of it never happening to us. Imo chytil, kakko in 2-3 years with panarin, mika, thats gonna be nasty. As for today, is shestyorkin on track to win a vezina eventually? His rebound control is so good, and confidence too, hes gonna be a hank, just carrying us to the playoffs. Of all the teams we hve had; we never had one that can score so much.... and are only going to get better. Doesnt change my point tho, we need a 2lw to replace kreider. Someone to keep pace with mika. As for buch, idk why everyone hates him. His underlying numbers are great and he has a low shooting percentage that will fix itself. Honestly, i know it it prob wont happen, but if the team gets hot around now, up until the tdl, playoffs r a possibility. It seems that shesterkin is getting easier starts. I feel like dq wants georgiev for toronto, and shest for dallas

This is a case where status (as a 2OA) influenced the decision making that probably should not. IMHO it wouldn’t hurt his development if he spent a few months with Hartford (with Kravtsov) to start his NA transition.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Fun fact at the 48 game mark for Panarin

70 points in 48 games would have tied him with Jagr and Lindros for the Art Ross in the shortened 94-95 season.

He would have won the Art Ross by 10 points in the lockout shortened 12-13 season.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Svechnikov had 37 points in his rookie season. Similar usage, although Svech did get some time in the top 6 later in the season. If KK can pick it up just a bit fro her on out, he can get very close to that number.
While Svech is a more physical player, I think KK has more hockey sense. I also think KK is the type of kid to be pissed off that he didn't step in and dominate. He will work hard this summer and be back on a mission.
It’s not so much the points it’s that his fancy stats have been brutal, although I don’t know how much that can be attributed to playing with Howden.

FOD

Jul 26, 2011
I’m just not old enough or knowledgeable about prospects to say how much of this is normal growing pains and how much is actual cause for worry.

He’ll be fine. If he’s a “bust” then so is Hughes because they have almost identical stats.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC

over the summer I said many times that if he had between 30 and 40 pts I’d be thrilled. People just think he was going to step in at 18 from Europe and dominate we’re just being crazy. I think the last few weeks he’s been doing a lot of the little things really well. The pts will come. He’s been very solid lately. I think this second half will look a lot different than his first but really it’s next year where I think he takes that big leap.

NYRangers0723

Apr 30, 2019
over the summer I said many times that if he had between 30 and 40 pts I’d be thrilled. People just think he was going to step in at 18 from Europe and dominate we’re just being crazy. I think the last few weeks he’s been doing a lot of the little things really well. The pts will come. He’s been very solid lately. I think this second half will look a lot different than his first but really it’s next year where I think he takes that big leap.
Exactly. Obviously patience doesn’t exist here lol but realists knew that the odds of an 18 year old dominating immediately was slim to none. Plus he has barely had any time in the top 6 which would have obviously helped his stats. Kakko is gonna be a really good player but we just need to have a sliver of patience. This is his first time going through the 82 game grind of the toughest hockey league in the world. Don’t worry a year from now people who are doubting him will feel silly

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Detroit is the worst ****ing team I've seen in a while.

which is crazy considering their history. When they changed conferences I though “ugh, them”.

side note, am still stunned the NHL separated that Wings/Hawks rivalry by conference

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Can't wait till Kakko transforms himself over the offseason and has everyone the main boards eating a buffet of crow

Well, I think part of this has to do with the small contingent of our fans that were constantly chest thumping on the main boards after we won the 2nd overall pick.

Was in a poker tournament so I didn’t see the game but sounds like we played well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad