3 Stars of the Game

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
It’s not so much the points it’s that his fancy stats have been brutal, although I don’t know how much that can be attributed to playing with Howden.
I think a large part of that is due to his inability to keep up with the pace of play. He’s always a step behind.

I feel like next year we will see a completely different Kakko.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
With every game Kreider plays, I’ve got to be thinking Davidson and Gorton are looking at each other and saying “What do we do about Kreider?”

It’s not a no brainer.
Do we know if weve made any contract offers to kreider?

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
I think the decision with Kreider is easy.

Tell him that we want to talk to him on July 1st, but there is no way we can turn down the return that we would get for him at the deadline. It sounds like he is willing to take a discount to be here, so this could turn into a huge win-win for us.
I’ve been wondering more and more about this possibility, as well.

I do remain terrified of a market value deal for him, though, and I’m not sure he goes through such a rigmarole to then also give the team a hometown discount.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
I’ve been wondering more and more about this possibility.

I do remain terrified of a market value deal for him, though, and I’m not sure he goes through such a rigmarole to then also give the team a hometown discount.

There is certainly the potential that it adds something like 0.5 million/year to the contract.

To me it comes down to if potentially paying a little more, and a potential change of heart from Kreider over the coming months, is worth a 20-30 overall pick and a young guy who should crack an NHL roster sooner rather than later. It could be a kid like Miller or Lundkvist, and another like Rykov or Hajek.

It's a no-brainer for me. Especially with all the talk about Kreider wanting to stay in New York.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
With every game Kreider plays, I’ve got to be thinking Davidson and Gorton are looking at each other and saying “What do we do about Kreider?”

It’s not a no brainer.

it’s not. Kreider is not going to break down, and his speed will keep him in the game longer. Gonna trade him for what would be a very late 1st rounder since mostly contenders will be interested doesn’t seem that appealing to me. It will be hard to replace him. No make that very hard to replace him.

But then risk of signing him emerges with his age and whatnot and the Rangers situation. I feel it’s a different situation than last year and the year before, they need to start competing in the next year or two and Kreider will still be in his prime. That to me it’s not a no brainer to just trade him like we did with players in the past.

charliemurphy

Feb 16, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
I think the decision with Kreider is easy.

Tell him that we want to talk to him on July 1st, but there is no way we can turn down the return that we would get for him at the deadline. It sounds like he is willing to take a discount to be here, so this could turn into a huge win-win for us.

Can someone post any links about Kreider taking a discount?
If that's truly the situation then it's all the more reason to trade him. Trade him to a contender and give him the opportunity to win the cup. Come back over the summer, work out a 5/6 year contract at a team discount and put the C on his sweater. What that discount is and how it impacts things down the road is a different matter.
Maybe someone can post an article on how often players return to the team that traded them but if I had to guess... I don't know, lol Kreider could be a creature of habit and not want to leave and is smart enough to see whats happening here and might want to be a part of it. Fun to speculate but I don't know why he wouldn't be traded by the deadline. He's exactly what contending teams are looking for and if that team has the picks and prospects to make a deal that's worth it to the Rangers long term then you have to pull the trigger.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
If that's truly the situation then it's all the more reason to trade him. Trade him to a contender and give him the opportunity to win the cup. Come back over the summer, work out a 5/6 year contract at a team discount and put the C on his sweater. What that discount is and how it impacts things down the road is a different matter.
Maybe someone can post an article on how often players return to the team that traded them but if I had to guess... I don't know, lol Kreider could be a creature of habit and not want to leave and is smart enough to see whats happening here and might want to be a part of it. Fun to speculate but I don't know why he wouldn't be traded by the deadline. He's exactly what contending teams are looking for and if that team has the picks and prospects to make a deal that's worth it to the Rangers long term then you have to pull the trigger.

I haven't read it anywhere. I'm just going by what has been said about the situation from various sources about him really not wanting to leave New York. I *do* think that it's the case, but there's nothing hard to back that up.

Either way, I think it would be fool-hardy to not trade him at the deadline. And just as fool-hardy to not let him know that we want him to look into making him a long-term Rangers on July 1st.

MrPodz

Aug 16, 2019
Can we talk about kreider return? At the beginning of the season, his value was depreciated to that of a 2nd round pick and b prospect. Then he got hot and since then, is scoring, making insane plays and everything. Past night was an example of kreider popping off, albeit against a weak team. Hes the 3rd fastest skater, after freaking mcdavid and another superstar in barzal. Hes huge, he uses his body and hes overall the best on the market. I know a late 1st and prospect are what people think is the return, for a rental at least, but i feel we can get a better return considering this situation. In this year, his value is considerably higher than hayes, who as a side note, is playing like bootycheeks in philly. 7 mil huh?

itsPLkielbasa

Aug 30, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
I don't want Kreider to leave.

Me neither. I met him at a signing about 2 years back and he is so laid back. Got him to sign my USA Kreider Jersey which I still need to frame.

By far one of the most under appreciated Rangers. His inconsistency doesn't speak for all the times he's there to back up his teammates. He is captain material to me, not sure as to what others think but it's going to suck losing him. We have no one near what he brings to the team... speed, size and grit.

Here's to the idea of him getting traded, winning a cup and then coming back here in the off season.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley

This all sounds good but there is no guarantee that he will come back next year. This just doesn't happen very often and I can't remember 1 time when it happened with the Rangers. If he is traded I would consider him gone for good.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
I don't want Kreider to leave.
Keep him. CK will always be an effective leader and net-front presence. At worst — if he loses his speed — he’ll be our Tomas Holmstrom. Trading him for Jost (who is almost a sure bust) and a late first is silly.

Reactions: mrhockey193195

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Me neither. I met him at a signing about 2 years back and he is so laid back. Got him to sign my USA Kreider Jersey which I still need to frame.

By far one of the most under appreciated Rangers. His inconsistency doesn't speak for all the times he's there to back up his teammates. He is captain material to me, not sure as to what others think but it's going to suck losing him. We have no one near what he brings to the team... speed, size and grit.

Here's to the idea of him getting traded, winning a cup and then coming back here in the off season.
That’s what I’m hoping. The guy has been clutch for us and is a great teammate. He seems to gel with just about everyone. If it’s not on the ice, like with Z and B, certainly off the ice (cue the CK-AP bounce). He would also be a great training buddy for Kakko and Chytil.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad