#48 KINGS beat BLUES 4-1, with the Moral victory too.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
That was a fun game to watch, Kings came out and dominated the first 10, then St. Louis got their game going, as much as they forechecked, it never felt like they were dangerous until the last few minutes and Quick shut the door.

As much as the PP isn't scoring, they are still getting chances, it looked much better that game than vs Vancouver, Williams had an absolute laser of a shot hit the elbow, Doughty had a few clean looks.

One thing I noticed, and Lewis actually scored because of it, but when the wingers are coming down the wall with the puck, Stoll did this last night, they shoot at the goalie instead of shooting low far side, having the goalie have to make a save, and 9 out of 10 times kick that puck towards the players crashing the net, it happens a few times a game and it drives me crazy that they don't do that...instead they try to pick a corner 25 feet away on a **** angle...

TonySCV

Golden
Mar 2, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
Almost always bodes well when the Kings as the road team dominate for the first 10 minutes of a game. Takes the air right out of the building. Scoring first helps too ;).

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
That was an intense game. Few things I noticed, St. Louis is a tough friggin team, Quick is an elite level goalie (I needed to be reminded after seeing Jones and Scrivens in his absence that it just wasn't the team in front), up until the hit Muzzin was having one of his best games of the year, nice to see secondary scorers winning a game, and out PP still sucks.
Some of that is obvious and was well known before but was cemented home for me.

Whiskeypete

Jul 14, 2010
Chicago
One thing I noticed, and Lewis actually scored because of it, but when the wingers are coming down the wall with the puck, Stoll did this last night, they shoot at the goalie instead of shooting low far side, having the goalie have to make a save, and 9 out of 10 times kick that puck towards the players crashing the net, it happens a few times a game and it drives me crazy that they don't do that...instead they try to pick a corner 25 feet away on a **** angle...

right now they are shooting for and playing for the face offs, instead of rebounds. they have been dominate on draws to the point of it being ridiculous in some games. i haven't reviewed the overall numbers in weeks, but LA has been consistently beating and in some cases dominating on the draw.

about a week ago they showed a stat on Stoll iirc and he was like 8 of 10 through 2 periods of play. Kopitar has really stepped up his game here finally this season. Carter has been good and Richards so-so imo.

when you know you have this it's a better chance of winning a face off and getting a clear shot. opposed to shooting low and hoping for a rebound that you know it's more likely there will be D coverage, or the puck just gets deflected out of harm's way.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Good game guys. Congrats on the win. Frustrating that everything we do well as a team seems to go out the window the moment Quick and the Kings step on the ice.

Good luck the rest of the way.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Good game guys. Congrats on the win. Frustrating that everything we do well as a team seems to go out the window the moment Quick and the Kings step on the ice.

Good luck the rest of the way.

Hope we meet in the playoffs. Both teams will be happy if that happens.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
right now they are shooting for and playing for the face offs, instead of rebounds. they have been dominate on draws to the point of it being ridiculous in some games. i haven't reviewed the overall numbers in weeks, but LA has been consistently beating and in some cases dominating on the draw.

about a week ago they showed a stat on Stoll iirc and he was like 8 of 10 through 2 periods of play. Kopitar has really stepped up his game here finally this season. Carter has been good and Richards so-so imo.

when you know you have this it's a better chance of winning a face off and getting a clear shot. opposed to shooting low and hoping for a rebound that you know it's more likely there will be D coverage, or the puck just gets deflected out of harm's way.

Generally, I agree, the scenario I am talking about is when they come in, and the 2nd guy is on the other side driving the net, either on the outside or through the middle, and they still take the shot at the chest instead of low far,

It happens maybe 2-4 times a game, if that, if they do that, it increases their chance to score by a lot.

Captain Mittens*

I think the NHLPA should force Kevin to legally change his name to Shatnerkirk.

Give the people what they want

Quattro

Aug 5, 2005
Call me crazy, but I think this is absolute rock bottom. The offense can't get worse. I still think Dean needs to pull a trade that sends shockwaves through our offense, but I also believe the offense will level out and they'll score more goals.

That power play is absolute trash though. Painful to watch. It *almost* cost them two points tonight. The Kings should have blown out the Canucks, but they could only muster one pathetic goal.

Beating one of the best teams in the league 4-1 in their barn in an intense and emotional game is rock bottom?

I can't wait for the good times! :yo:

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
I looked at this game as a good test and measure for LA. Kings have a good team that is built for playoff hockey. They are the best defensive team in the league. Imagine how good they would be with a legit power play.

Though teams out there and nothing will come easy. If we can find a little more scoring we will be dangerous. Still one of the best teams in the league imho.

Whiskeypete

Jul 14, 2010
Chicago
Generally, I agree, the scenario I am talking about is when they come in, and the 2nd guy is on the other side driving the net, either on the outside or through the middle, and they still take the shot at the chest instead of low far,

It happens maybe 2-4 times a game, if that, if they do that, it increases their chance to score by a lot.

this is exactly what i am talking about. i've noticed this for multiple games now, especially with the Stoll and #4 lines. they are shooting to cause a face off, instead of making the low shot and the F2 driving for the rebound.

they are playing a percentage to get the face off, then Sutter throws out the Kopitar or Richards line hoping for a clean face off and shot. it has worked a few times.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Apparently Petro plays Norris caliber hockey against other top teams in the West, because he is constantly praised by NBC commentators, but I don't see it when he plays the Kings.

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
Apparently Petro plays Norris caliber hockey against other top teams in the West, because he is constantly praised by NBC commentators, but I don't see it when he plays the Kings.

I agree...he is a good steady eddy against the kings but no world beater by any stretch.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
The blues are putting up such great scoring numbers because they are shooing at a pace that is 3% over the league average.
And where we can play better without a doubt we have not gotten any bounces for awhile till tonight.
And that hurts. Even tonight we had Williams hit the post on the PP. And that would have hopefully raise the confidence on the PP for the team.

Yeah, I said this elsewhere and in the GDT--things are going to equalize here soon. We were shooting FOUR % over that last little stretch until tonight. 4. 4. I know it's about shot quality and such but it's not like we were getting NO chances, we just weren't finishing, and when Williams plugged that crossbar on the PP, it was so emblematic of that stretch of bad shooting, bad special teams, and bad luck. You can't rely on breaks, and last night we got at least one, but there are precious few exceptions to the rule that these things equal out over time. Keep getting chances, and we'll start getting some luck.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands

this is exactly what i am talking about. i've noticed this for multiple games now, especially with the Stoll and #4 lines. they are shooting to cause a face off, instead of making the low shot and the F2 driving for the rebound.
There was actually plenty of room to make the pass to King.

I've noticed this for a long time now, Stoll is always taking the shot, always, and not even wide.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad