Post-Game Talk: #47 | FLYERS (A) vs. Rangers (H) | Friday, Apr. 23, 2021 | Loss 4-1

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Too complicated. Do you go by total Gold points (worst team gets to play the most games out of contention), % of potential points, adjust for being in a weaker conference (stay in contention longer), etc.

And you actually want weaker teams to sell off veterans at the TDL, amass draft picks and play prospects, the later is the only real excitement for fans and this helps a team to hit the ground running in training camp.

Yeah, an important part of rebuilding can be selling a few guys. This removes incentive to sell. Would we still be weighed down by Simmonds? Would we be far more likely to lean on veterans instead? Will this make it harder to trust and rely on prospects in favor of lower upside "safe" options? Knowing the way Hockey GMs work, all of that is possible.

I don't think it lessens excitement for anyone though. I do worry that increased incentive to rely on "safe" trash will only make rebuilding harder. Perhaps removal of full contract guarantees would let it work better, as you are way less attached to those guys.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
@JojoTheWhale I wonder if the Gold Draft system would result in bad teams tanking hard at the beginning of year to be eliminated from playoff contention as fast as possible for a maximum chance at getting points and a high draft pick.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
@JojoTheWhale I wonder if the Gold Draft system would result in bad teams tanking hard at the beginning of year to be eliminated from playoff contention as fast as possible for a maximum chance at getting points and a high draft pick.
There is not much worry about that, really. Even teams that are bottom feeders wouldn't be officially eliminated until roughly 3/4 of the season has been played, so the players aren't going to be on board with a 60 game tanking effort just to "flip the switch" for the last quarter of the season.

I agree with @deadhead here that one of the biggest obstacles to this format's success is that teams may not sell players at the deadline, preferring to keep players for the inevitable push for points to get the number one pick. Those teams need to clear those players out for the rebuild, theoretically...

It's a fascinating concept, but really can't accurately project reality in theory. The human element of how to handle a structure like this is almost impossible to predict, so you need to test it to see how viable it is... but the NHL would never adopt it without having a good idea of how it would play out, so the idea is kind of dead in the water. A modern day Catch 22, if you will.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
There is not much worry about that, really. Even teams that are bottom feeders wouldn't be officially eliminated until roughly 3/4 of the season has been played, so the players aren't going to be on board with a 60 game tanking effort just to "flip the switch" for the last quarter of the season.

I agree with @deadhead here that the biggest obstacle to this format's success is that teams may not sell players at the deadline, preferring to keep players for the inevitable push for points to get the number one pick. Those teams need to clear those players out for the rebuild, theoretically...

It's a fascinating concept, but really can't accurately project reality in theory. The human element of how to handle a structure like this is almost impossible to predict, so you need to test it to see how viable it is... but the NHL would never adopt it without having a good idea of how it would play out, so the idea is kind of dead in the water. A modern day Catch 22, if you will.
It wasn’t really a worry, I just wonder if any team would have the balls to try it. :laugh:

As far as preventing teams from selling players, I don’t see that as a negative. We don’t need a big trade deadline scramble.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
It wasn’t really a worry, I just wonder if any team would have the balls to try it. :laugh:

As far as preventing teams from selling players, I don’t see that as a negative. We don’t need a big trade deadline scramble.
As a league, you want to see teams deal at the deadline, though. It adds to the interest and doesn't make teams essentially reliant on the roster they open the season with (there are barely any trades leading up the deadline after a season starts).

You should be able to add depth or fill a hole for a Cup run, but this would be cut out at the knees because teams out of the running have a reduced incentive to trade good players and recoup draft picks.

I really do wish there was a way to see it in practice because I am not opposed to the idea. I just think it would have a huge negative impact for teams planning for a Cup run.

When the Flyers are ready to challenge again, I want them to be able to address roster deficiencies at the trade deadline.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
As a league, you want to see teams deal at the deadline, though. It adds to the interest and doesn't make teams essentially reliant on the roster they open the season with (there are barely any trades leading up the deadline after a season starts).

You should be able to add depth or fill a hole for a Cup run, but this would be cut out at the knees because teams out of the running have a reduced incentive to trade good players and recoup draft picks.

I really do wish there was a way to see it in practice because I am not opposed to the idea. I just think it would have a huge negative impact for teams planning for a Cup run.

When the Flyers are ready to challenge again, I want them to be able to address roster deficiencies at the trade deadline.
I think I agree with what it said in the article, the lessened interest at the deadline would be offset by greater interest the rest of the season.

Plus, I think deadline additions are insanely overrated. I don’t see anything wrong with forcing GMs to think ahead and rely on the roster they built and the players they have in the system.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
I think I agree with what it said in the article, the lessened interest at the deadline would be offset by greater interest the rest of the season.

Plus, I think deadline additions are insanely overrated. I don’t see anything wrong with forcing GMs to think ahead and rely on the roster they built and the players they have in the system.
For injuries and poor player performance alone, the ability to enhance your roster throughout the season shouldn't be marginalized.

There are obviously a wide spectrum of opinions on this idea, but it's all moot because I highly doubt the board of governors would ever even remotely consider it. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad