Post-Game Talk: #47 | FLYERS (A) vs. Rangers (H) | Friday, Apr. 23, 2021 | Loss 4-1

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Sorry my post was meant to be more tongue in cheek than it came out. I was meaning that the players who havent been in AV's system for long are the ones who look good currently. I dont think the players are the problem, but I definitely think the coaching staff is.

Carry on.
My bad. It’s hard to keep track of who has actually lost their mind and who is just kidding around these days. :laugh:

A few posts after yours someone said Giroux being captain is a problem so I just have no idea what going on anymore. Plus there’s Twitter...

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
If the "captain" archetype was so important that it could make or break a team we'd be seeing leadership veterans getting paid heavily.
And even on top of that, it not even like Giroux isn’t playing well or setting a great example with his attitude and work ethic. He’s been great this year and is still playing hard even though the playoffs aren’t possible.

So if we’re going to blame him, it’s literally 100% based on team achievements, which is obviously a completely invalid way to judge an individual.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Giroux's heart cannot be questioned. He's certainly a leader by example.
But he has faded as the season has progressed, especially after the move to center, which is why he's back at wing.
You have to ration minutes for 33 year old legs, Giroux physically is not a horse.
If you want to get the best of him the next few years, limit him to 15-16 minutes a night.

Shrike

Dec 5, 2019
Having that exact captain would do nothing to fix the coaching or management, and no amount of fear can make this system work. Would just make the whole thing more toxic.

Captains are wildly overrated. It would be great if the Flyers could forego having one so we can stop blaming the C for things he doesn't control.
Agreed. I just want it known that just getting rid of the coach and gm isn’t enough

Shrike

Dec 5, 2019
Bobby abreau was a superstar in right field but the Phillies didn’t start to really win until they traded him for nothing

Reactions: 04hockey

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Bobby abreau was a superstar in right field but the Phillies didn’t start to really win until they traded him for nothing

I think that had less to do with trading Abreu, who was unfairly maligned, than the emergence of Hamels as the ace, building some decent pitching depth, and getting an unreal season out of Lidge.

They scored fewer runs in the WS season than in 2006.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

How did trading Abreu cause that?

Stripping Lindros of the C and then airing footage of it being sewed onto Desjardins' jersey to further twist the knife didn't change anything about the Flyers. Trading Richards didn't either.

The Phillies were on the path to winning whether they had him or not.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
Stripping Lindros of the C and then airing footage of it being sewed onto Desjardins' jersey to further twist the knife didn't change anything about the Flyers. Trading Richards didn't either.

Yikes. I knew the tension between Clarke and Lindros was rough but man that's childish from an organization. I realized quickly that most "professionals" aren't really professionals, they are simply people being paid to do a job.

Shrike

Dec 5, 2019

Empty stats vs the little things that win games

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire

that was just Clarke being a major dick. Not that Lindros didn’t deserve any of it. It was 2 guys with big egos and Clarke making sure he didn’t lose

Jeremy2020

Dec 27, 2005
Austin, TX
Should we be concerned all these new young players look like they are playing well? It really begs the question of A: is the core really the problem or B:will these young players eventually be coached out of caring...

tune in to next week's episode of Flyers! uh at least we arent the Sabres?

I think if you go by since the Sabres fired their coach, they'd be in the playoffs. They got a lot better after dropping a turd of a coach. Flyers management isn't going to learn that lesson until it's too late next year though.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I think if you go by since the Sabres fired their coach, they'd be in the playoffs. They got a lot better after dropping a turd of a coach. Flyers management isn't going to learn that lesson until it's too late next year though.

Meh. More likely it's the new coach/out of the playoffs boost.
Usually doesn't carry over to the next season.

skagittarius

Jan 18, 2016
PNW
Was that Ghosts worst defensive effort in a game ever?

The second rangers goal where he's stopping a cross crease pass to no one is some of the worst defending I've ever seen. He literally watched the ranger go one on one with Lyon.

Stunning isn't it? Maybe there is something to the post-covid fog thing because the D as a unit have been making egregious decisions like that all season. I've never seen anything like it. Beer league stuff.

Reactions: BritainStix

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Stunning isn't it? Maybe there is something to the post-covid fog thing because the D as a unit have been making egregious decisions like that all season. I've never seen anything like it. Beer league stuff.

Yeah, there's a big disconnect between the metrics, great CF, average xGF, poor actual scoring.
It's like they're playing hard, making the forecheck work, keeping possession but unable to connect on passes or shoot accurately.

Ironmanrulez

#nEvErrEbUiLd #nEvErpLaYyOuTh #nEverpLaYsKiLL
Jul 1, 2010
Cologne, Germany
My bad. It’s hard to keep track of who has actually lost their mind and who is just kidding around these days. :laugh:

A few posts after yours someone said Giroux being captain is a problem so I just have no idea what going on anymore. Plus there’s Twitter...
Same as it ever was and will be. hAtErS gOnNa hATe

Reactions: Striiker

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
How do you feel about Gold drafting, deady?

For those that aren't familiar with the concept: Gold Drafting

Too complicated. Do you go by total Gold points (worst team gets to play the most games out of contention), % of potential points, adjust for being in a weaker conference (stay in contention longer), etc.

And you actually want weaker teams to sell off veterans at the TDL, amass draft picks and play prospects, the later is the only real excitement for fans and this helps a team to hit the ground running in training camp.

Reactions: CanadianFlyer88

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Too complicated. Do you go by total Gold points (worst team gets to play the most games out of contention), % of potential points, adjust for being in a weaker conference (stay in contention longer), etc.

And you actually want weaker teams to sell off veterans at the TDL, amass draft picks and play prospects, the later is the only real excitement for fans and this helps a team to hit the ground running in training camp.

It would have to be raw points or it doesn't address anything it sets out to solve. Getting eliminated first is supposed an advantage.

As to rentals, I would think it then becomes strategy as to which vets are worth selling and which aren't. Personally I like rewarding good organizational planning.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->