GDT: #46 Blue Jackets@Shark | 4/21 | 8 p.m. EDT

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Euro is now a racist term? Gotcha.

It's the old stereotype that Euro's are soft that he was objecting to. They might be on average less physical, who knows. But the thoughts: Player is a Euro, Euro's are soft, therefore player will be soft, is a far weaker form of reasoning than just using your understanding of that unique player.

Jaxs

Jul 4, 2008
It's the old stereotype that Euro's are soft that he was objecting to. They might be on average less physical, who knows. But the thoughts: Player is a Euro, Euro's are soft, therefore player will be soft, is a far weaker form of reasoning than just using your understanding of that unique player.

Thanks. I know all of that, I just hate how the term is thrown around so loosely when it couldn't be further from the truth, and I don't mean in just hockey circles.

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
9 games, 3 goals, 4 assists, +6 rating ... but the stat that really stands out for me is the 27 shots on goal. He's the lone gun on a team full of blue collar players ... the other team has keyed on him since he got here, and he's still manage to average 3 shots per game. He's known throughout his career to be a streaky scorer, but the fact that he's generating that many chances at the net is a feat in it's own right. I think we'll see him back on his game tonight, after a couple of days of rest ... the whole team was looking drained at times last game.

I was talking about this road trip for Gaborik, 0 goals 1 second assist 4 min double minor 12 shots, mainly of the non-threatening variety. I don't think he's been dangerous at all in the 4 most important games to date. I sure hope you're right and he breaks out tonight!

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Guy knows how to score. His hockey IQ stands out as far as where to go/what to do to get in position to score. I thin they're still figuring out who works best with him. But he is going to have to be fully engaged in these final three games. I've seen intermittent stretches of "jam," and I know it's not his game, but it's desperation time (as if it wasn't already).

I think Calvert is a huge loss. He's been a demon on the forecheck and always seems to be around the puck in scoring situations. Comeau into his spot will be interesting.

Joey's line is key.

I think he really has struggled with the loss of Anisimov, those 2 were really clicking. Calvert has been a HUGE loss, agreed. I'm interested to see what Comeau does on that line, he's got good wheels and is similar to Matty.

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
hey, racist, this stereotype couldn't be further from the truth and you win games by scoring goals, not by "being gritty."

Gaborik can put up more points in 2 weeks than Dorsett does in a season, and we have plenty of guys filling out the "physical" role for this team without Dorsett.

Hahaha, sorry European American...Gaborik has 1 secondary assist on this road trip so I'm waiting for his offensive explosion tonight...

IHeartZherdev*

I was talking about this road trip for Gaborik, 0 goals 1 second assist 4 min double minor 12 shots, mainly of the non-threatening variety. I don't think he's been dangerous at all in the 4 most important games to date. I sure hope you're right and he breaks out tonight!

of course, these wouldn't be the most important games, had Gaborik not played a key role in those wins after the trade deadline...

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Minnesota is currently playing CalGARY ... who surprisingly has been better since the Iginla/Bouwmeester trades. It's entirely possible that - being only two points behind them - we could still catch and pass the Wild. So, I say go Flames!

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Wow. Are you ******* kidding me? Euro is now a racist term? Thank goodness for the PC police.:yo: Am I a "wetback" for disagreeing? :shakehead

Well, this Gringo could give a s*** less! Political correctness is one of the worst things to ever happen to this country.

IHeartZherdev*

Funny considering Zherdev fits the stereotype. Some of you cats need to step down from the soap box. :(

I don't see how pointing out that "Euros tend to disappear in the physical games" is untrue is soapboxing.

Anisimov plays physically, never backs down from a board battle, and absolutely doesn't "disappear" when things get physical. He is also from Europe.

Anyway, go Jackets, and of course, go Flames!:pickle:

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
The statement wasn't racist, it was ethnocentric. Russian/Euro isn't a race.

Either way, I agree that it's an unfair generalization/stereotype.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad