Post-Game Talk: #46 | Avalanche at Flyers | January 20, 2024 | Flyers lose 7-4

FanForLife

Oct 27, 2018
Winnipeg
I really want to know what the majority of this fanbase sees in Tippett.
Pure skill and shot will get him 30, +/- 5 for next 6 years. Fast. But don't see a lot of creativity or hockey sense, which is too bad, he'd be scary good. But can say that about a lot of players. As much as the coaches are willing to let him be himself, the better offensively. Put him with skill and he could get to 40 easy, maybe flirt with 50 a couple times. But doubtful.

thedjpd

Sponsor
Dec 12, 2002
San Jose, CA
Perfect game to display it.

It’s so much harder to win the way they are building a team.

Asinine plan, I can’t bring myself to believe otherwise.

Wait, I thought the consensus on the board was that getting dominated in almost all stats and fancy stats but eeking out wins anyway because of superstar play was unsustainable?

When our goalie steals a game, this board complains non-stop about how the metrics don’t bear a sustainable level of play and it’s not the right way. Is the goalie not part of the team?

But today, a game where a superstar took over and won them a game but the team lost all measures of an effective game, THAT is the model we should strive for?

If you go peruse the Avalanche GDT, they are thanking their stars that Hart laid an egg. Even if some of those saves aren’t gimmies, he lost the battle with a much inferior and overworked goalie who simply made more key stops. They know they got dominated and didn’t deserve to win. And that’s ok.

The flyers were sloppier with the puck this game than the last, but all in all their process was still damn good. And you can still lose when your process is good, which is what happened today.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
Wait, I thought the consensus on the board was that getting dominated in almost all stats and fancy stats but eeking out wins anyway because of superstar play was unsustainable?

When our goalie steals a game, this board complains non-stop about how the metrics don’t bear a sustainable level of play and it’s not the right way. Is the goalie not part of the team?

But today, a game where a superstar took over and won them a game but the team lost all measures of an effective game, THAT is the model we should strive for?

If you go peruse the Avalanche GDT, they are thanking their stars that Hart laid an egg. Even if some of those saves aren’t gimmies, he lost the battle with a much inferior and overworked goalie who simply made more key stops. They know they got dominated and didn’t deserve to win. And that’s ok.

The flyers were sloppier with the puck this game than the last, but all in all their process was still damn good. And you can still lose when your process is good, which is what happened today.

It doesn’t have to be one or the other. You can have star players, and play well overall also.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Not to often goaltending costs us.

Trade Hart to the Leafs tonight and take them
Over the coals.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
I really want to know what the majority of this fanbase sees in Tippett.
There was a play today where Tippett got to a loose puck in the offensive zone on the left wall around the goalline and passed the puck back to the slot. Problem was there wasn’t a Flyer within ~30 ft. of that spot and it resulted in a zone exit.

It was a pretty innocuous play, but it really showed a lack of understanding of his surroundings. but how in the hell do you pass the puck to where no one is? Lol.

That’s not to take away from him as a player - he brings very real positives to the team!

Last edited:

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Hopefully Tippett won't be out long term. Even short term he'd be a huge loss. He's been on fire lately and has become a key player for us who still keeps improving.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
There was a play today where Tippett got to a loose puck in the offensive zone on the left wall around the goalline and passed the puck back to the slot. Problem was there wasn’t a Flyer within ~30 ft. of that spot and it resulted in a zone exit.

It was a pretty, innocuous play, but it really showed a lack of understanding of his surroundings. but how in the hell do you pass the puck to where no one is? Lol.

That’s not to take away from him as a player - he brings very real positives to the team!
He does it almost every game. It's infuriating. :laugh:

Reactions: VladDrag

mr4tno

Oct 13, 2017

It was a pretty innocuous play, but it really showed a lack of understanding of his surroundings. but how in the hell do you pass the puck to where no one is? Lol.

In all fairness the fact that no Flyer was in the slot is the issue here.....

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP

He's also the most grotesque pile of tomato paste I can ever remember.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
In all fairness the fact that no Flyer was in the slot is the issue here.....
The issue is that Tippett blindly threw the puck without looking to no one in particular. He wasnt even pressured.

I know what you are saying, and it would be awesome if someone was there…but they were not. He made an awful read and he does that fairly consistently. Still a positive player, but limited.

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
The issue is that Tippett blindly threw the puck without looking to no one in particular. He wasnt even pressured.

I know what you are saying, and it would be awesome if someone was there…but they were not. He made an awful read and he does that fairly consistently. Still a positive player, but limited.
sounds like he wouldn't be difficult to replace

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
sounds like he wouldn't be difficult to replace
Honestly not going that far, either. His rush attack is amazing. Big body, crazy fast, and decently skilled. He is hard to handle and can do damage in that regard. His entry game would be hard to replace….just not the smartest player with puck on the stick.

Reactions: Magua

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
He's also the most grotesque pile of tomato paste I can ever remember.

il_fullxfull.5252006579_6nle.jpg

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
A common theme with this organization: it's a matter of perspective. It's the offensive version of, "We do like Cates! We just don't think....." Or the Good Version Provorov days. You hear talk: if Tippett increases his shooting % by 4-5%, if he gets a plus playmaker (as if Frost/TK are chopped liver), assuming if this or that. He's an amazing rush chance generator, with a lethal shot, who is more volume than efficiency. He's a superb athlete with middling hockey sense. I don't really think he has another tier, and if he's a 25-30 goal/50-55 point guy who primarily manufactures his own offense, that's still valuable!

I said the other week that there's a contract number where I'd keep Tippett. The majority of this fanbase values flash/shooting -- to answer your post -- but Tippett is certainly fun and unique in the organizational talent pool. I hated watching Tippett in the OHL, and I've come way around to enjoying him. He's entertaining in a wild way. I did understand his strengths/flaws; I just under/overestimated how they'd play up.

But for the last 2 years, the layman/team divide between evaluating Tippett and Frost will never not confuse me. Frost, despite 11 scratches and continual screwing around, is pacing for 47 point/82 games, with superb on-ice impacts at center, especially defensively. Tippett is pacing for 53 points. Last year was the same story, except Frost has improved all-around.

Pure skill and shot will get him 30, +/- 5 for next 6 years. Fast. But don't see a lot of creativity or hockey sense, which is too bad, he'd be scary good. But can say that about a lot of players. As much as the coaches are willing to let him be himself, the better offensively. Put him with skill and he could get to 40 easy, maybe flirt with 50 a couple times. But doubtful.

He seems fine. But I'm convinced that most fans now think that the Flyers won the Giroux trade because Tippett has some highlight reel goals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad