Post-Game Talk: #46 | Avalanche at Flyers | January 20, 2024 | Flyers lose 7-4

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
Great effort. Both keepers shit the bed. You can't give* the best team in the league 3 goals.

Last edited:

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I really want to know what the majority of this fanbase sees in Tippett.

A common theme with this organization: it's a matter of perspective. It's the offensive version of, "We do like Cates! We just don't think....." Or the Good Version Provorov days. You hear talk: if Tippett increases his shooting % by 4-5%, if he gets a plus playmaker (as if Frost/TK are chopped liver), assuming if this or that. He's an amazing rush chance generator, with a lethal shot, who is more volume than efficiency. He's a superb athlete with middling hockey sense. I don't really think he has another tier, and if he's a 25-30 goal/50-55 point guy who primarily manufactures his own offense, that's still valuable!

I said the other week that there's a contract number where I'd keep Tippett. The majority of this fanbase values flash/shooting -- to answer your post -- but Tippett is certainly fun and unique in the organizational talent pool. I hated watching Tippett in the OHL, and I've come way around to enjoying him. He's entertaining in a wild way. I did understand his strengths/flaws; I just under/overestimated how they'd play up.

But for the last 2 years, the layman/team divide between evaluating Tippett and Frost will never not confuse me. Frost, despite 11 scratches and continual screwing around, is pacing for 47 point/82 games, with superb on-ice impacts at center, especially defensively. Tippett is pacing for 53 points. Last year was the same story, except Frost has improved all-around.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad