GDT: #45| St. Louis Blues @ New York Islanders | January 15th | 7:00 PM | F/OTW 2-1

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Flip could be tied to what happens at 2C and with Nelson. For example, if the Isles extend Nelson for reasonable $$ to be the 2C, they might want to upgrade 3C. Or, if they spend big money on a 2C, then maybe Flip sticks around. Or, or, or. :)

My concern is Flip,after a strong season, will want more term then the isles want to give.

Metnut

Jan 19, 2013
Blues are playing good hockey. Might be too late for them, but they are trying to turn their season around and we've seen first hand how tough they are to play when "on." Let's bring out A game tonight.

Reactions: MJF

SI

Feb 16, 2013
My concern is Flip,after a strong season, will want more term then the isles want to give.

He will be 35 next season not sure he can expect more term than a season - give him a NMC in lieu of a 1 year deal

crasherino

May 9, 2013
He will be 35 next season not sure he can expect more term than a season - give him a NMC in lieu of a 1 year deal

Especially if he likes it here. I guess if some other team will give him 2 years (or more), he could pick up and leave but if the Islanders want to take it year to year with him (and then perhaps even be the next Seidenberg), that could be enough.....if he likes it here. Perhaps he's gelled with the significant Finnish community on the Island :dunno:

gadiamon72

Jun 13, 2013
Especially if he likes it here. I guess if some other team will give him 2 years (or more), he could pick up and leave but if the Islanders want to take it year to year with him (and then perhaps even be the next Seidenberg), that could be enough.....if he likes it here. Perhaps he's gelled with the significant Finnish community on the Island :dunno:

My take is to let him walk if we can find a way to sign Nelson and make him the third line center. With Duchene becoming a UFA, we should make a major push for him. Even if it means trading a lower draft pick for his rights before the signing period. Brock is having a good year, but I don't consider him an high end second line center.

kmo429

Jul 22, 2011
Blues are playing good hockey. Might be too late for them, but they are trying to turn their season around and we've seen first hand how tough they are to play when "on." Let's bring out A game tonight.

They 3 points back of WC 2 with a game in hand a 6 points out of both WC 1 and 3rd in their division with 2 game in hand. Far from too late for them. The Western WC race is wide open. Hopefully we can jump on them early at home with them playing back to backs. Don't think we'll have the same luck as last time against the Blues if we fall behind early.

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Not that I see any signs of it waning, but one of BT's most important tasks right now is too keep this team playing with a chip on it's shoulder. It would be easy for them to fall into trap of thinking that they are better than they are, which is not to say that they should lack confidence in themselves. They've earned some of that. But there is fine line between healthy confidence - which this team should be gaining - and overconfidence, which a team like the Isles cannot afford. Hell, no team can afford it, just more so for us I think.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
My take is to let him walk if we can find a way to sign Nelson and make him the third line center. With Duchene becoming a UFA, we should make a major push for him. Even if it means trading a lower draft pick for his rights before the signing period. Brock is having a good year, but I don't consider him an high end second line center.
The idea about getting a star center like Duchene is good. The problem I have with him is a nagging doubt that he is a good team guy. Does it bother anyone else that wherever he’s been the team mosses the playoffs, and since he left the Avs they’ve been a much better team? Coincidence?

Reactions: Surfrat and dood

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I think it's fair to say we've gotten more out him than expected but as good as he has been for us (though his game has tailed off somewhat of late), Flip is not in any way integral to the future of this team so whether he signs on or not for another year, or whatever; meh.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
Ladd started skating on his own today. :eek:

He can't hurt the team that way.

Actually I think Ladd will help the team, if he ever gets healthy. I would like to see what he does within the Trotz structure. He has always had the ability to be a solid two way player when he puts in the effort. And Trotz won't stand for less than 100% effort.

Last edited:
Reactions: PROMputt and dood

DalGoal4Cups

Meet me at Belmont
Dec 4, 2011
Keep an eye out for a handful of UFC fighters in attendance tonight. UFC Fight Night 143 Henry Cejudo Vs TJ Dillashaw is this upcoming Saturday in the Barclays center. UFCs first ESPN broadcast.

gadiamon72

Jun 13, 2013
The idea about getting a star center like Duchene is good. The problem I have with him is a nagging doubt that he is a good team guy. Does it bother anyone else that wherever he’s been the team mosses the playoffs, and since he left the Avs they’ve been a much better team? Coincidence?

Not sure that he was the reason. This Islander team has one of the best locker rooms in hockey. Maybe a team like this would be good for him.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Not sure that he was the reason. This Islander team has one of the best locker rooms in hockey. Maybe a team like this would be good for him.
Or maybe he would be bad for a locker room like ours.

I'm not sure he was the reason either. But the post-Duchene results in Colorado speak for themselves, and this year he was one of the Sens in the Uber that unfortunately got posted on social media ragging on the team. The only vet along with 3 kids. Could be nothing but a series of random events but I'm not sure I'd want to invest a good chunk of money in him. I'd look to spend it elsewhere.

Reactions: Surfrat

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
Going out on a limb and saying the Blue team wins. :sarcasm:

I'll see myself out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad