Post-Game Talk: #45| New York Islanders @ Philadelphia Flyers | April 18th | 6:30 PM | F/OTW 1-0

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
With that trade, anything but a Cup is a failure.

Making it to the Cup final and losing is still a failure, just a much easier pill to swallow than a first round exit.
I’m with you. So imagine missing the playoffs altogether after that move. Yet you know there would be a good percentage of people on this board who would find a way to tell us we are wrong it was a failure

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I actually have no idea how that would pan out, it is just obvious Barry wouldn't have done it. Hall would be where MDC is and my guess we will still be seeing Komarov or perhaps Dal Colle on that top line....

Trotz is fixated on having some size there or a "dirty work" player and Hall is worse than Palmieri in that regard- and Kyle hasn't even been considered, even though a 1/3 of his career has been as a LW....right shot or not.

He is also fixated on having another face-off option besides Barzy because he is so woeful at it. Neither of them do it- at least Lee was better than Matt was.

Beau is fast but he never gets a look there either. It just isn't in Barry's DNA....period

Good points.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Correct...

I'm not sure where we are going with this but Lee has always been a scoring wing. I don't see that term being synonymous with sniper and never have, some do.
Where I'm going is that there are always people who look for reasons for Mat Barzal coming up short. It's always the tired old trope of Barzal not having 2 skilled wings that keep him from showing his true potential. So last year everybody scapegoated Anders Lee as being the wrong fit on that line when in reality it was Lee simply having a bad year. Players have bad years. It happens.

Again, Mat Barzal is usually the reason Mat Barzal comes up short in the Islanders system. It's happening again right now. I swear to god Barzy is strong enough on his skates to drive to the net and take defenders with him. He's built a lot like Bryan Trottier...just solid! I've never seen a guy with six packs for quads. He's incredible. Yet he keeps going back to trying to be elusive on the perimeter rather than playing a north-south game and using his shot which is a high quality tool in his arsenal.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
The problem is this wasn’t the Shane prince or Tyler Kennedy moves of the past. When you move a first round pick for guys like Zajac and Palmieri that is intended to go deep into the playoffs. Regardless of what fans say in here about how hard it is and that there no guarantees and all the other excuse making, If the isles do not make it to at least the Third round (I would argue the finals ) then given the moves made this season is an abject failure.
Except that trade does not address the loss of Lee.

If Isles get back to conference finals, then more than fine for the value. Pretty good chance one or both resign in the offseason so also a test drive for next season too.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
That for sure. But they're also making low % passes and missing passes. Looks like my weekly pickup game sometimes... and that's not good. I think they are mentally pressing and that's the cause of some of it. Same with the really poor / risky offensive blue line play lately. Just taking way too much time thinking / futzing with the puck. Like they're pressing for the ideal play instead of just reacting innately.
We're being pressed by desperate teams and not reacting well to it. The Bruins and Flyers both have big forwards. The Bruins forwards have the double whammy for us of size and skill. So it's incumbent on us to react quicker and handle the puck better. That's on the individual player not to bend under pressure.

Reactions: JKP

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
Except that trade does not address the loss of Lee.

If Isles get back to conference finals, then more than fine for the value. Pretty good chance one or both resign in the offseason so also a test drive for next season too.
With what cap money? Everybody in here talks about dumping players for nothing but yet we are going to resign both these guys?

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Where I'm going is that there are always people who look for reasons for Mat Barzal coming up short. It's always the tired old trope of Barzal not having 2 skilled wings that keep him from showing his true potential. So last year everybody scapegoated Anders Lee as being the wrong fit on that line when in reality it was Lee simply having a bad year. Players have bad years. It happens.

Again, Mat Barzal is usually the reason Mat Barzal comes up short in the Islanders system. It's happening again right now. I swear to god Barzy is strong enough on his skates to drive to the net and take defenders with him. He's built a lot like Bryan Trottier...just solid! I've never seen a guy with six packs for quads. He's incredible. Yet he keeps going back to trying to be elusive on the perimeter rather than playing a north-south game and using his shot which is a high quality tool in his arsenal.

Well, Lee having a bad year certainly didn't help Barzal.

Barzal is a possession player anyway and I agree that he would produce more with say, Forsberg or Benn. But yeah, Lee was not hampering Barzal as much as folks claimed.

Barzy has yet to break through that glass ceiling where is the kind of player that can take over games consistently. He does it a fair amount but he's not there yet.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
With what cap money? Everybody in here talks about dumping players for nothing but yet we are going to resign both these guys?
No idea on the what or the how, that's the GMs job - they have the plan and insight into what and how they want to do that. A fan goofing on cap friendly is nice, but its only a slice of the real picture. This offseason is not going to be kind to UFAs. Seattle will bring some capital to the market, but not enough for a lot of these UFAs to make similar cash.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad