Post-Game Talk: #45| New York Islanders @ Philadelphia Flyers | April 18th | 6:30 PM | F/OTW 1-0

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
This is more than a few games though at this point. We have scored 2 goals or less in 7 of the last 8 games. And 1 or less in 4 of the last 5. You cannot win playing that kind of hockey.

We're like 8-3 this Month or something close though? We're not a high scoring team in general so when we slump....yeah, it'll look bad. Enjoy that permanent Doomer stress.

Reactions: MJF and buud

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I actually have no idea how that would pan out, it is just obvious Barry wouldn't have done it. Hall would be where MDC is and my guess we will still be seeing Komarov or perhaps Dal Colle on that top line....

Trotz is fixated on having some size there or a "dirty work" player and Hall is worse than Palmieri in that regard- and Kyle hasn't even been considered, even though a 1/3 of his career has been as a LW....right shot or not.

He is also fixated on having another face-off option besides Barzy because he is so woeful at it. Neither of them do it- at least Lee was better than Matt was.

Beau is fast but he never gets a look there either. It just isn't in Barry's DNA....period
Palmieri has been okay IMO, but he needs to protect the puck better. I notice small things like throwing pucks into the middle of the ice to break out at inopportune times, that may have been ok in NJ, but on the Isles who try to limit neutral zone turnovers, it's a no no. I think this can be corrected by coaches, and I am sure they have already given subtle reminders.

Reactions: JKP and MJF

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY
This is more than a few games though at this point. We have scored 2 goals or less in 7 of the last 8 games. And 1 or less in 4 of the last 5. You cannot win playing that kind of hockey.

Theyve looked like hot garbage the last 2 weeks. But all teams go through ruts. I think theyll be fine. Somehow split these next 6 and all good

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Well, you ONLY go get Hall in order to put him with Barzal.

If that's not your plan, then no need to get him.

Which they didn't.

But a sufficient option for Barzal's LW was neither already here nor a slower, righty shot.

So the biggest hole wasn't dealt with.

No-one on the market was going to replace Lee from a style standpoint and to be honest, we've often bitched and moaned at these boards that Lee and Barzal aren't necessarily perfect for each other anyways.

This would have been an excellent opportunity to bring in someone for that left side who skates at least as well as Eberle while being a bit skilled as well.

Maybe that IS what Barzal needs on that side.

With Bailey out of the lineup, and Barry moving Barzal to LW, and Beau away from Nelson - why not try Nelson and Barzal together with Eberle? And the rest of the lines look like this -

MDC - Zajac - Palmieri - the 2 former Devils can play with one another wit MDC and once Bailey comes back the line looks pretty balanced.
Beau - Pageau - Wahlstrom - this line was great a month ago - maybe this gets Wahlstrom and Pageau going.

The current formula of Barzal with Leo and Zajac isn't obviously generating enough.

I would also love to see Beau reunited with Barzal and Eberle or maybe the future comes early and Beau and Wahlstrom with Barzal. I think it is preferable to have Barzal not taking key draws, but he has been better this year than most. On key defensive draws, you can have Pageau out. I know that Beau was dominant Faceoff player in Juniors (albeit in juniors).

IMO, I would give the Nelson, Barzal, and Eberle experiment a chance and maybe it clicks. Once Bailey comes back the other 2 lines look pretty balanced - they had that creative moment in the third period with Maty's drop pass.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Trotz is fixated on having some size there or a "dirty work" player and Hall is worse than Palmieri in that regard- and Kyle hasn't even been considered, even though a 1/3 of his career has been as a LW....right shot or not.
Maybe that's because Trotz knows that's what Barzal needs for the Islanders to be successful.

You want to see Barzal with 2 skill guys on either side? Watch the All Star Game.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Every coach has their safe players that act as security blankets, you throw them out there, you trust they will be good defensively. Trotz has his. Pageau, Martin, Cizikas, Clutterbuck, Komarov, Bailey I think falls into this category, and Lee before he was hurt. As much as I would like to see Barzal and Eberle have a scoring winger like Lee, there are just not many out there that can bring to the table what he can. The thought of having 3 high flying offensive players on that same line, would be exciting at both ends of the ice. Barring a complete overhaul with the top 3 lines. Options are limited. Plugging in Komarov or Zajac would seem the most simple. Moving Nelson to the left wing would be a overhaul. Can Nelson be trusted to play the D side on the wing? This season, his D has fallen off where he was really good his first 2 seasons under Trotz. I would be apt to try this. Move Zajac to #3C, move Pageau up to #2C. When I watch the Isles play since the deals, I get the feeling the lines are not set. Still get that feeling. This is a team that is a project in progess.

Reactions: GrandmaSlices51631

GOLFWANG

Jul 20, 2007
If you have Leo on first line I get having a defense minded and guy that digs for the pucks in the corner but you are also handicapping your best player to Eberle who can't hit the net most times or is just lazy. So when Eberle has those type of games, then Barzal will be useless. Second line is lazy most games or can't hit the net. Third line will get its goals here and there.

So that is why we can't score right now also bad puck bounces but goal scorers still find a way.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Maybe they're just resting up for the playoffs. They had a long grind in the playoffs last season and hope for another one this season. If you think I'm kidding, I'm not.

attilatheislander

It's Mr. Chicken Little to you!
Oct 10, 2014
California
This is an odd year. We're winning games like yesterday's, yet these recent victories feel like losses. Maybe, this is a sign of progress from being in tank mode every January like we were ten years ago.

2ndGenIslander

Feb 2, 2012
Nassau
with the amount we're scoring and with Sorokin appearing to be the best goalie in the league at the moment, i'd ride him again tomorrow night

IslesRock4

Ever Forward
Jul 21, 2007
Long Island
Every coach has their safe players that act as security blankets, you throw them out there, you trust they will be good defensively. Trotz has his. Pageau, Martin, Cizikas, Clutterbuck, Komarov, Bailey I think falls into this category, and Lee before he was hurt. As much as I would like to see Barzal and Eberle have a scoring winger like Lee, there are just not many out there that can bring to the table what he can. The thought of having 3 high flying offensive players on that same line, would be exciting at both ends of the ice. Barring a complete overhaul with the top 3 lines. Options are limited. Plugging in Komarov or Zajac would seem the most simple. Moving Nelson to the left wing would be a overhaul. Can Nelson be trusted to play the D side on the wing? This season, his D has fallen off where he was really good his first 2 seasons under Trotz. I would be apt to try this. Move Zajac to #3C, move Pageau up to #2C. When I watch the Isles play since the deals, I get the feeling the lines are not set. Still get that feeling. This is a team that is a project in progess.

It’s definitely time to turn on the line blender. I’m one of the proponents of trying Nelson at LW, but after watching Barzal and Zajac together I still feel that Barzal is better suited as the only center on his line. I think the Barzal/Lee faceoff tradeoff worked well because Lee could take faceoffs on his strong side but then play his proper position as LW. It seems to me that Barzal and Zajac are a bit lost at times, both naturally moving to center and running over eachother with neither used to playing wing.

I don’t love 2021 Josh Bailey and he hasn’t taken many faceoffs this year, but I wonder if he would be worth a shot next to Barzal as a “safe” presence when he is healthy. Can try to use him on draws on his strong side and then let them both play their proper positions. Also why I feel like Leo works better than Zajac with Barzal, but hopefully Bailey could provide more than either offensively.

Also time to put Eberle with Nelson for a couple games. That usually gets him going and Barzal and Eberle get too comfortable with eachother after a while. Maybe still bring Pageau up to L2 with Nelson and Eberle as wings? Try out Palmieri next to Barzal and Bailey?

Plenty of different possible ideas and hopefully Trotz tries something because what we have now certainly isn’t it.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
It’s pretty easy to be right on that one since plenty of teams do it annually, yet there’s only one SC winner.
So it’s easily seen yet ignored?

outside of the Lightning how many teams in the past ten or so years won the cup, who also traded their first rounder or highly regarded specs at the deadline (especially for rentals)

it’s one thing to try and add some depth pieces and maybe a niche player, it’s another to go big game hunting at the deadline. Rarely does it ever prove to be worth the squeeze.

Short sample size, I’ll admit, but Palms has a lone point in six games since joining the team.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
When did Lee become a “scoring wing”? Last uear I read here he was an anchor who was holding Barzal back.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
When did Lee become a “scoring wing”? Last uear I read here he was an anchor who was holding Barzal back.

Well, Lee was back to form this year. He'd easily be leading the team in goals had he not went down. He may not be your stereotypical scoring wing, but he plays wing and he scores.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Remember the he is only a product of Tavares posts on the MB? I am glad most knowledgable hockey fans now know he is a terrific player and leader in his own right now. I never thought the 7M per year tag he was signed for was too much, maybe only 1 year too long for my liking. 7x 6years would have been perfect, but no telling what that extra year bought in loyalty rippled through the team. He was a UFA and could have gotten more elsewhere. I have to admit I didn't think Barzal would miss him as much as it is showing. He's a big void in the line up and I am sure in the dressing room too.

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
Palmieri has been okay IMO, but he needs to protect the puck better. I notice small things like throwing pucks into the middle of the ice to break out at inopportune times, that may have been ok in NJ, but on the Isles who try to limit neutral zone turnovers, it's a no no. I think this can be corrected by coaches, and I am sure they have already given subtle reminders.
Those NZ turnovers are brutal lately. The whole team. Been weird to see...

Reactions: MJF

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Well, Lee was back to form this year. He'd easily be leading the team in goals had he not went down. He may not be your stereotypical scoring wing, but he plays wing and he scores.
So Lee had a bad year last year, got trashed here for it, and played better this year?

Reactions: Throttle

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Teams with size are skating right at us when we have the puck and we oblige them with poor puck management, flubs, and turnovers.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
When Pageau and Greene were first traded, the team needed time to adjust. Ultimately, it did, and the Isles were better. I am hoping Palmieri adjusts. I have seen less of this from Zajac, he plays a safer game. Palmieri is a vet, he will adjust. Maybe a case of trying to hard. Some times eating the puck is the best move. Isles do not often make the lower percentage play. Seen too much of this of late.

Reactions: Throttle and JKP

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
Teams with size are skating right at us when we have the puck and we oblige them with poor puck management, flubs, and turnovers.
That for sure. But they're also making low % passes and missing passes. Looks like my weekly pickup game sometimes... and that's not good. I think they are mentally pressing and that's the cause of some of it. Same with the really poor / risky offensive blue line play lately. Just taking way too much time thinking / futzing with the puck. Like they're pressing for the ideal play instead of just reacting innately.

Reactions: MJF

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
The problem is this wasn’t the Shane prince or Tyler Kennedy moves of the past. When you move a first round pick for guys like Zajac and Palmieri that is intended to go deep into the playoffs. Regardless of what fans say in here about how hard it is and that there no guarantees and all the other excuse making, If the isles do not make it to at least the Third round (I would argue the finals ) then given the moves made this season is an abject failure.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
The problem is this wasn’t the Shane prince or Tyler Kennedy moves of the past. When you move a first round pick for guys like Zajac and Palmieri that is intended to go deep into the playoffs. Regardless of what fans say in here about how hard it is and that there no guarantees and all the other excuse making, If the isles do not make it to at least the Third round (I would argue the finals ) then given the moves made this season is an abject failure.

With that trade, anything but a Cup is a failure.

Making it to the Cup final and losing is still a failure, just a much easier pill to swallow than a first round exit.

Reactions: Satan'sIsland81

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad