Prospect Info: #44OA - Hurricanes Select C Jamieson Rees - Signed 12/30/20

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Perfect data for when over the summer we’re arguing about how many pts he’s going to score for us as one of our top two centers.

I don't know much about Rees, but would McGinn be a good comparable?

McGinn was 5'11, 175lbs at draft time, Rees is 5'10", 171 lbs. McGinn was viewed as a guy with an edge to his game, that showed some improved offensive flair post draft. Rees is also viewed as a guy with an edge to his game. McGinn had 12G in 33 games prior to draft. Rees had 10G in 37 games prior to draft. McGinn improved the year after his draft but scored a ton the 2nd year post draft.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015

McGinn was 5'11, 175lbs at draft time, Rees is 5'10", 171 lbs. McGinn was viewed as a guy with an edge to his game, that showed some improved offensive flair post draft. Rees is also viewed as a guy with an edge to his game. McGinn had 12G in 33 games prior to draft. Rees had 10G in 37 games prior to draft. McGinn improved the year after his draft but scored a ton the 2nd year post draft.
Thanks for killing all our excitement and optimism about Rees by comparing him to Brock ****ing McGinn! :thumbu::sarcasm::sarcasm:

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site

Well he seems to be a more mobile skater with a bit more dangle with him, higher skill but I can see it. Brock was supposed to be the most talented McGinn, but obviously the offense stalled. I think if we start with that as the expectation level we’ll be in a good place. :D

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Somewhere between Marchand and McGinn

Well, it's important to note that both of these are possible, as is Phil DiGuiseppe. But Rees has more of everthing than McGinn. More skill, more speed, more of an edge, better shot, better vision, less discipline, etc., so I think McGinn is a bit of a floor -- well, maybe Foegele is a floor -- for Rees.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Like Roddy said it's going to be difficult for any young guy to show what they've got in just 8 practices in order to make the team but I view Rees as one of our few junior prospects who could potentially make the team/taxi squad along with Jarvis. I think they'll keep one or two of these highly skilled CHL players who aren't eligible for the AHL as long as the CHL remains on hiatus.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Like Roddy said it's going to be difficult for any young guy to show what they've got in just 8 practices in order to make the team but I view Rees as one of our few junior prospects who could potentially make the team/taxi squad along with Jarvis. I think they'll keep one or two of these highly skilled CHL players who aren't eligible for the AHL as long as the CHL remains on hiatus.
Agreed, probably do a 22 man roster and keep 7D on the main roster, 13 forwards, and the 2 goalies, then do 1 D, 4 Fs (2 vets and then Jarvis and Rees until their CHL seasons start), and Ned on the Taxi Squad. Possible that we do a full 23 man roster and have 8 D there, but I'd say 7 is more likely.

Buenos Necas

lets go canes
Jul 18, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Glad to get him signed.

I'll be curious to see how the taxi squad gets put together. It makes sense to use a couple spots on Jarvis, Suzuki, or Rees while the OHL/WHL are still out of commission, get them some experience practicing with the big boys and such.

Ned is an interesting case being on a 1-way, he could just be put on the 23-man from the beginning with the 3 goalie requirement. Being waiver-eligible he might be a goalie injury away from being on the 23 for the full year anyway, so that's an option to open up another taxi spot. But unless someone gets moved before the season started the 13F/7D are probably better uses of little remaining cap space.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
Will teams have to officially waive players to put them on the taxi squad?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad