Post-Game Talk: #44: Stars at FLYERS, Thursday, Jan. 10, 2019, 7:00 pm ET

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Hextall was 100% in charge of the roster. You can’t blame Hakstol for the fact that he didn’t have access to Hart.

Not to mention, Hart’s start in the AHL showed he needed adjustment time.

If you want to say that the 1 win last night, stopping an 8 game winless drought “proves” the team is better under Gordon than Hakstol, because Hak had a 10 game winless streak, fine. But it still overlooks that Gordon has access to better goaltending & that the team’s record is worse under Gordon.
Frankly, I don’t think the coaching difference between the two matters significantly one way or the other. It’s a secondary issue to severe personnel flaws.
Teams is flat and boring and you cant lose them all. Changes are coming and not soon enough. Team is a joke really and looked really poor last night except a couple of fluky plays.

Johnk0728

Dec 28, 2016
I was at game last night w/y wife. We literally left during 2nd period. That display of hockey last night was pathetic by both teams. No intensity, no hitting, nothing...... The NHL product has turned into soccer on ice. Just put Umbro shorts on them. My wife loves hockey live and has been going for almost 20 years with me and she even wanted to leave. We have a 4 seats/ partial season ticket package and tried all day to give them away and no one wanted them..... shame.

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
He does look shorter but I think that's in part because a lot of NHL goalies are monster in size. His game is playing angles and positioning and even if he's on the south side of 6'2 it won't matter if he's as talented as he seems to be.

I love it, actually, because these bigger goalies seem to be breaking down more quickly than smaller ones. I am pretty sure the numbers won't bear it out - e.g. Johnny Quick isn't too large and he falls apart - but math has always been my enemy, so numbers can **** off. I just think it's much harder on a taller frame to play that position.

Reactions: onlylordsvsmorebp

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I was at game last night w/y wife. We literally left during 2nd period. That display of hockey last night was pathetic by both teams. No intensity, no hitting, nothing...... The NHL product has turned into soccer on ice. Just put Umbro shorts on them. My wife loves hockey live and has been going for almost 20 years with me and she even wanted to leave. We have a 4 seats/ partial season ticket package and tried all day to give them away and no one wanted them..... shame.

I mean, they scored 2 goals in the 2nd and won the game. Weird choice lol.

prototypical4thliner

Jan 12, 2017
I love it, actually, because these bigger goalies seem to be breaking down more quickly than smaller ones. I am pretty sure the numbers won't bear it out - e.g. Johnny Quick isn't too large and he falls apart - but math has always been my enemy, so numbers can **** off. I just think it's much harder on a taller frame to play that position.
That’s like anatomy... and physics... so science! The flyers need to science the shit out of their roster going forward.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
Hagg- first shift of the game is a half ass wrist-folded back foot snap shot from the point. No one in front. Shocking, I know. He's good for 3 per game. Loved it when Folin worked his tail off in the defensive trapezoid to get the puck away from a Star, shoveled it off to Hagg to relieve the pressure for the breakout, and he muffed it. More Stars pressure.

Varone- bad game. Missed 3 important, short passes in the first. One was a centering pass to I think Raffl, who was wide open. The other 2 were NZ/high dzone resulting in turnovers.

Patrick- signs of life. Yay. That single handed rush in the first was a nice one, reminiscent of his impact on games in the second half of last year. Maybe he's finally shaking off the injury rust?

Giroux- all these odd man rushes. Normally I ask him to just shoot, but he made the right passes tonight. Khudobin made some great saves. G is money on both sides of the puck, nothing new here.

Hart- what a f***ing animal. That save on Klingberg in the middle of a second was just too good.

Gudas- monster on the PK. Made a great play on Benn down low, where Benn had body position but Gudas just didn't give up and fought the puck away. Maybe saved a goal.

The Flyers sucked in the first. Shocking, I know. You could say they were opportunistic, but you could also say they were en route to delivering another horrendous effort had it not been for the butt end of Hart's stick x2 and a Pitlick miss on a yawning cage. Could have been 3-0 in the first without a shot for 12 minutes. Refreshingly, Hart kept them in it, which put them in a position to win this game.

That being said, right now the team is bad. There's a lot of bad juju floating around this organization. Bad starts, bad coaching, bad player management, bad roster decisions. It's a bad environment to win, and that's a shame because this team has a ton of talent, and a lot of it young.

Still, they survived and that's something to hang their hat on. Hart was tremendous as was the PK which has been getting better- even causing some odd man rushes on a semi-consistent basis, though this game it was pretty wild. Just as a general statement, this is what happens when your 2 best defensemen going into the season and one of your best forwards is having an off year. You watch a bad team. I do believe Provy, Ghost, and Jake bounce back and this team- behind an improved PK and goaltending light years better than years' past- will be in much better shape next season and beyond.

"Feels good to get back in the win column"

oKo4TkW.gif

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Hagg- first shift of the game is a half ass wrist-folded back foot snap shot from the point. No one in front. Shocking, I know. He's good for 3 per game. Loved it when Folin worked his tail off in the defensive trapezoid to get the puck away from a Star, shoveled it off to Hagg to relieve the pressure for the breakout, and he muffed it. More Stars pressure.

Varone- bad game. Missed 3 important, short passes in the first. One was a centering pass to I think Raffl, who was wide open. The other 2 were NZ/high dzone resulting in turnovers.

Patrick- signs of life. Yay. That single handed rush in the first was a nice one, reminiscent of his impact on games in the second half of last year. Maybe he's finally shaking off the injury rust?

Giroux- all these odd man rushes. Normally I ask him to just shoot, but he made the right passes tonight. Khudobin made some great saves. G is money on both sides of the puck, nothing new here.

Hart- what a ****ing animal. That save on Klingberg in the middle of a second was just too good.

Gudas- monster on the PK. Made a great play on Benn down low, where Benn had body position but Gudas just didn't give up and fought the puck away. Maybe saved a goal.

The Flyers sucked in the first. Shocking, I know. You could say they were opportunistic, but you could also say they were en route to delivering another horrendous effort had it not been for the butt end of Hart's stick x2 and a Pitlick miss on a yawning cage. Could have been 3-0 in the first without a shot for 12 minutes. Refreshingly, Hart kept them in it, which put them in a position to win this game.

That being said, right now the team is bad. There's a lot of bad juju floating around this organization. Bad starts, bad coaching, bad player management, bad roster decisions. It's a bad environment to win, and that's a shame because this team has a ton of talent, and a lot of it young.

Still, they survived and that's something to hang their hat on. Hart was tremendous as was the PK which has been getting better- even causing some odd man rushes on a semi-consistent basis, though this game it was pretty wild. Just as a general statement, this is what happens when your 2 best defensemen going into the season and one of your best forwards is having an off year. You watch a bad team. I do believe Provy, Ghost, and Jake bounce back and this team- behind an improved PK and goaltending light years better than years' past- will be in much better shape next season and beyond.

"Feels good to get back in the win column"

oKo4TkW.gif

Bruh, no one even cared about this game last night.

XcqA.gif

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

I think it's style more than anything, like to see the numbers on "athletic" goalies, those great saves require explosive moves that can tear things.
Hart is very efficient and doesn't make a lot of those "flash" moves, rather, he anticipates well and gets into position.
He started almost 70 games each of the last three seasons at age 17-19, so it seems his economical style keeps him fresh.

Reactions: onlylordsvsmorebp

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
You can't judge a coach till a team is loaded with talent like the Islanders.

Yes, we saw Berube turn around a team that Lavi couldn't win with and take them to the playoffs.
How'd that work out in the long run?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad