Post-Game Talk: #44: Stars at FLYERS, Thursday, Jan. 10, 2019, 7:00 pm ET

Ilkka Sinisalo

Amazing American
Nov 1, 2010
Perth, W.A.

It's also quite handy because the Flyers still didn't have a real goalie under contract for next season, so they were going to be entering 2019-20 not knowing if Hart needs more time in the minors and what caliber goalie(s) they needed to sign. But getting half a season of NHL games into Hart means, and him playing well, means that they know they just need to sign a competent backup who doesn't expect to play more than 20 or 30 games a year.

For one season, it's a lot better to stink than to be in the no-man's land. Get games into Hart, get minutes into Sanheim, see what you've got with some of the other kids, and sell off any veteran assets that have value (if there are any).

Hart's development may mean that Gritty is not the most positive story of the 2018-19 Flyers.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Hart’s best game yet. He was excellent. Certainly adjusting to the NHL. This is why it was a good idea to give him an NHL test drive.

But how the hell does he get away with the Garth Snow equipment? Looks like the Michelin Man; seems like he’s wearing twice the body protection of any other goalie.

Reactions: freakydallas13

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Harts problem is that when he's in net the team just isn't scoring much.

Overall, he's played well. As well as anyone could expect of a guy in his situation.

It's hard to not get over-excited, but even short-term goaltending is looking more promising than expected. We may be needing a trusty backup instead of a bridge starter.

Other than Hart, the team played decent for most of the game. A ton of chances, not much luck. Pretty happy with the game overall, although standards are low after what we've watched over the last month or so.

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
The best part about this win, is the contrarians can no longer pretend Hak would've been better. Because while it is sad that Gordon has an 8 game losing streak, Hakstol still holds the title at 10 games. LULZ.

These are the streaks (wins), losses. Arbitrarily picked 5 as the cut-off for inclusion, there are 4 game streaks sprinkled throughout.

2015: 6
2016: (10), 5
2017: 10, (6), 5
2018: 8

Good win by the Flyers, it was enjoyable to watch. Tense at the end, really wanted Hart to get the SO. He looks better than bad in net, and post game media availability, guy might have it upstairs too. So composed at all times. I hope he turns 21 out of the season, I'd be surprised to see what he looks like sloppy.

Wife was bad mouthing JVR as being mostly invisible, then he goes and gets an assist. If that's all it took... Happy to see TK rewarded for his continual hustle. JVR, atta boy. That was goalie interferance by Jake, luckily it wasn't a penalty. Could've argued for it to count, but he shouldn't have touched him in the first place, c'est la vie. Stars goalie? Wowzers, the two 2v1, and a 2v0, great saves/presence.

I'm still a fan, but I'm ready to turn the page on this iteration of the 2018-19 Flyers. Here's to them making multiple changes to the roster and preparing for 2019-20. Tonite was an exciting game to watch however, good entertainment value.

Edit: Goalie skates are also shorter than regular skates, i.e. Benn v Hart

Last edited:

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
The best part about this win, is the contrarians can no longer pretend Hak would've been better.

And the weirdest part about it they are not even in this thread so far. As if they had select situations where to go/not to go...

Last edited:
Reactions: Striiker

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Hart looked like he's learning NHL speed, he wasn't frantic, but more decisive, knowing "he who hesitates is lost."
The good thing about this season is he can play with no pressure, much like Hellebuyck when the Jets tanked in 2015-16.
But it's becoming apparent we have our starting goalie of the future, just say no to Bob.

Giroux and Couts left 4 goals out there, some was some great goalie play, some was shooting high and wide by Giroux.
Patrick and Lindblom are a great pair, why they were split up is beyond me, keep them together, find them a young speedy RW who can shoot.

PP looked better, I think they're finally realizing the league has changed, the league is faster and PK is more aggressive, Flyers have been a deliberate team with playmakers holding the puck, waiting for someone to get open - that no longer works as teams aggressively challenge the man with the puck, have to move the puck around quickly and catch teams out of position.

Flyers need more quickness and speed, games like this, Calgary, TB, etc. make that obvious. Not 12 players, but 2 or 3 that can upgrade the top 9.
Provorov and Sanheim aren't a good fit, however Ghost really benefits from playing with Gudas, the way Sanheim did.
Folin is a limited player, but he's the kind of depth that playoff teams covet.

Reactions: onlylordsvsmorebp

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Patrick and Lindblom are a great pair, why they were split up is beyond me

giphy.gif

PP looked better, I think they're finally realizing the league has changed, the league is faster and PK is more aggressive.

thinkingsdsds.gif

Also, I never thought I'd say this, but I'm glad to see you posting again, I was starting to get worried that you had shuffled off this mortal coil.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
And he only got 9:24 in 5on5 ice time from Gordon. Hak would have had him at 15+.

Dallas Stars @ Philadelphia Flyers, 2019-01-10

Gordon and Wilson have done a decidedly better job at managing the defense. Now they just need to call up Myers and sit Hagg or Folin. I actually think Folin is a better player but I don't think he can play the left side so a Folin - Myers pair might not be feasable.

Reactions: Magua and Foggy14

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad