Post-Game Talk: #44: Stars at FLYERS, Thursday, Jan. 10, 2019, 7:00 pm ET

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
The best part about this win, is the contrarians can no longer pretend Hak would've been better. Because while it is sad that Gordon has an 8 game losing streak, Hakstol still holds the title at 10 games. LULZ.
And if Gordon didnt’t have Hart?

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
And if Gordon didnt’t have Hart?
That is a beautiful example of a contrarian proposing a hypothetical that need not be an exercise. Gordon does have Hart, and McKenna, and Neuvy, and Stolie(?), eventually Elliot.

For the heck of it, Hakstol and Hextall could've had Hart on the big club too. Woulda/Coulda/Shoulda- but didn't.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Hart wasn't ready at the beginning of the season, he was struggling at LHV.
What's surprising is how quickly he's adjusted to the NHL game, but even his first few starts at this level were shaky.

"Hextall died for our sins."

Watching this team, Hakstol got the most any coach could have last year with that lousy goaltending, contrary to popular opinion, this is not a highly talented team, even the first line is slow relative to a lot of first lines. Doesn't mean Hakstol was the long term answer, rather, like Berube, a conservative approach was the only way this team was making the playoffs. Problem is while you can get to the playoffs when everything goes right playing that style of hockey, you're not built for long-term success if you have to play games to squeeze out points rather than beat opponents into submission.

The good thing is this season is going to force Fletcher to finish the rebuild, rather than try to patch with veterans.
Hopefully he'll have the green light to move out veterans and add youth and speed.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
That is a beautiful example of a contrarian proposing a hypothetical that need not be an exercise. Gordon does have Hart, and McKenna, and Neuvy, and Stolie(?), eventually Elliot.

For the heck of it, Hakstol and Hextall could've had Hart on the big club too. Woulda/Coulda/Shoulda- but didn't.
Ridiculous attempt to dismiss the value & impact of Hart in net. Hakstol had no say in whether or not he had Hart.

Ruck Over

Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
I feel like he is more invisible than Hagg which means i'm not noticing as many mistakes..like backing in too deep on the rush or just being slow as hell to get to a loose puck in the corner. There's a reason Hagg has so many hits, he is always beat to the puck.
I don't disagree with you, but let's also remember that Folin was propped up by Sam C. for having 7 block shots. 7 take-aways would've been a more commendable stat.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I don't disagree with you, but let's also remember that Folin was propped up by Sam C. for having 7 block shots. 7 take-aways would've been a more commendable stat.

The Hagg - Folin pair were thrashed last night. That's an awful pairing on paper and on ice.

Reactions: Foggy14

Ruck Over

Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
Ridiculous attempt to dismiss the value & impact of Hart in net. Hakstol had no say in whether or not he had Hart.
Hart wasn't ready at the beginning of the season, he was struggling at LHV.
What's surprising is how quickly he's adjusted to the NHL game, but even his first few starts at this level were shaky.

"Hextall died for our sins."

Watching this team, Hakstol got the most any coach could have last year with that lousy goaltending, contrary to popular opinion, this is not a highly talented team, even the first line is slow relative to a lot of first lines. Doesn't mean Hakstol was the long term answer, rather, like Berube, a conservative approach was the only way this team was making the playoffs. Problem is while you can get to the playoffs when everything goes right playing that style of hockey, you're not built for long-term success if you have to play games to squeeze out points rather than beat opponents into submission.

The good thing is this season is going to force Fletcher to finish the rebuild, rather than try to patch with veterans.
Hopefully he'll have the green light to move out veterans and add youth and speed.

Are the both of you overlooking that Hart looked the best goalie of the bunch in the pre-season? Is Was Hakstol so impotent that at the beginning of the season during camp, he couldn't have whispered in Hextall's ear, "Keep the kid up, let me have him for a game or two?"

Keep bending into knots.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
The best praise for Folin is that he's typically invisible, which is a good thing for a bottom pair defensemen.

Meanwhile, Hagg makes noticeable mistakes all the time and MacDonald is MacDonald.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Are the both of you overlooking that Hart looked the best goalie of the bunch in the pre-season? Is Was Hakstol so impotent that at the beginning of the season during camp, he couldn't have whispered in Hextall's ear, "Keep the kid up, let me have him for a game or two?"

Keep bending into knots.
You’re overlooking that Hakstol wasn’t the GM.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

Keep bending into knots.

And Hextall would have looked at him with his death glare and said: "you're not messing with my franchise goalie."

Hart was handled right, he got called up with no pressure, as an injury replacement, so if he falters, he can go back down without a sense of failure, knowing he wasn't expected to save the day. His development was always more important than this season, he could be our goalie for 10-15 years if things work out.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Why are you assuming Hart would have played as well under Hak as he is now under his coach from the Phantoms?

Ruck Over

Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
And Hextall would have looked at him with his death glare and said: "you're not messing with my franchise goalie."

Hart was handled right, he got called up with no pressure, as an injury replacement, so if he falters, he can go back down without a sense of failure, knowing he wasn't expected to save the day. His development was always more important than this season, he could be our goalie for 10-15 years if things work out.
You’re overlooking that Hakstol wasn’t the GM.

The two of them worked together, Hextall having hired Hakstol and refused to fire him, Hextall stated multiple times he wouldn't meddle with Hakstol's coaching choices. Yet the two didn't have a close enough relationship where the coach could make player request of the GM? Weird, and the knots tighten.

As far as development goes, I jokingly stated Hart should start in the ECHL because of the cluster Hextall managed with 4 goalies, all set to enter UFA at the conclusion of this year (maybe not Lyon, but the others yeah). And having 5 bodies for 4 chairs seemed foolish. Lo & behold though! Out goalies made of glass did indeed break again, so there haven't been 5 healthy people for a good long while now, although both the old and the new boss decided dumpster diving on waivers for a body was necessary.

Foggy14

Sep 13, 2017
And he only got 9:24 in 5on5 ice time from Gordon. Hak would have had him at 15+.

Gordon and Wilson have done a decidedly better job at managing the defense. Now they just need to call up Myers and sit Hagg or Folin. I actually think Folin is a better player but I don't think he can play the left side so a Folin - Myers pair might not be feasable.

Yep. One of the upsides of this goofy season is Sanheim getting a lot of minutes and seeing him steadily improve his D-zone game.

1080500736_slide.jpg

I'd love to see Myers up as well so he can get his baptism of fire, and make his inevitable mistakes, while it can't really hurt the team in any meaningful way.

I'd take a third pairing of Myers and Hägg. Tell Hägger to focus on defense, hits and dishing out sarcastic smiles. Just don't try to carry the puck, or pass it more than 10 feet. Leave that to Philippe.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
The two of them worked together, Hextall having hired Hakstol and refused to fire him, Hextall stated multiple times he wouldn't meddle with Hakstol's coaching choices. Yet the two didn't have a close enough relationship where the coach could make player request of the GM? Weird, and the knots tighten.

As far as development goes, I jokingly stated Hart should start in the ECHL because of the cluster Hextall managed with 4 goalies, all set to enter UFA at the conclusion of this year (maybe not Lyon, but the others yeah). And having 5 bodies for 4 chairs seemed foolish. Lo & behold though! Out goalies made of glass did indeed break again, so there haven't been 5 healthy people for a good long while now, although both the old and the new boss decided dumpster diving on waivers for a body was necessary.
Hextall was 100% in charge of the roster. You can’t blame Hakstol for the fact that he didn’t have access to Hart.

Not to mention, Hart’s start in the AHL showed he needed adjustment time.

If you want to say that the 1 win last night, stopping an 8 game winless drought “proves” the team is better under Gordon than Hakstol, because Hak had a 10 game winless streak, fine. But it still overlooks that Gordon has access to better goaltending & that the team’s record is worse under Gordon.
Frankly, I don’t think the coaching difference between the two matters significantly one way or the other. It’s a secondary issue to severe personnel flaws.

Ruck Over

Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
Yep. One of the upsides of this goofy season is Sanheim getting a lot of minutes and seeing him steadily improve his D-zone game.

1080500736_slide.jpg

I'd love to see Myers up as well so he can get his baptism of fire, and make his inevitable mistakes, while it can't really hurt the team in any meaningful way.

I'd take a third pairing of Myers and Hägg. Tell Hägger to focus on defense, hits and dishing out sarcastic smiles. Just don't try to carry the puck, or pass it more than 10 feet. Leave that to Philippe.
The more francophones, the better. Get this man to Philly NOW!

Edit: Giroux, Couturier, Morin, Gostisbehere*,Myers, NAK, (Laberge?)

Last edited:

Ruck Over

Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
Hextall was 100% in charge of the roster. You can’t blame Hakstol for the fact that he didn’t have access to Hart.

Not to mention, Hart’s start in the AHL showed he needed adjustment time.

If you want to say that the 1 win last night, stopping an 8 game winless drought “proves” the team is better under Gordon than Hakstol, because Hak had a 10 game winless streak, fine. But it still overlooks that Gordon has access to better goaltending & that the team’s record is worse under Gordon.
Frankly, I don’t think the coaching difference between the two matters significantly one way or the other. It’s a secondary issue to severe personnel flaws.
YAWN

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad