GDT: #44 – Sabres at Leafs – Tue Jan 17, 7:30PM ET – MSG-B

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
I don't disagree but the product on the ice would be better under Bylsma's tutelage if he actually had more than 2 top 4 defensemen.

Maybe he should actually utilize the skillsets of those that he has before we start making these statements.

Onslow

Mar 25, 2015
Here and There
Well, Auston's better.

Not by much, if at all.

Just out of curiosity, because it is probably just tired legs on the back to back, but the Sabres have a lot of incredible offensive talent, is their so-so offense system-oriented?

And damn, you have some bruisers on the blue line. Lost track of the number of Leafs being crunched against the boards tonight.

Most of it is systemic. Too much emphasis on dump and chase, playing not to lose, and stretch passes.

Fire Bylsma

purplehaze89

Sep 10, 2005
Not by much, if at all.

Most of it is systemic. Too much emphasis on dump and chase, playing not to lose, and stretch passes.

Fire Bylsma

Interesting. Lot of team speed to Buffalo; the coach should unleash their weapons.

And I won't engage in a Matthews - Eichel debate. Both teams got awesome young talented players. Super ecstatic with the one we got.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Eichel's hockey IQ will probably have something to do with him not quite getting to the level his physical skills suggest. Also, his work ethic seems poor in the sense that he doesn't put in the extra second effort to win those puck battles, and he has somewhat frustrated body language on every misplay.

from a Leafs fan, can't really argue it. Jack has elite skills but the head and maturity - not sure. Need to see him under a new coach.

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
I'm still hating Bogo's stupid decision-making. He really is a caveman most nights. Great skills, great physicality, but has no idea where to pass the puck. He reminds me of my eight-year-old self trying to play basketball. I'd much rather see Fedun getting more minutes at this point. He is an intelligent puck mover. Bogo should just skate the puck out of the zone every time. He'll get in less trouble.

Meanwhile, Nilsson is my #1 for now. (which has been true for at least 6 weeks)

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
from a Leafs fan, can't really argue it. Jack has elite skills but the head and maturity - not sure. Need to see him under a new coach.

I've heard this comment a lot recently. I don't really agree with it. He looks lackadaisacal sometimes when he's sizing up the play and looking for proper positioning. I'm not claiming he puts in ROR effort or has Reinhart IQ, but I think this criticism is over-stated. Also, he will improve in both areas over the next few years. Everyone is just panicking because they are comparing him to Matthews. Assuming they both stay healthy, I'll be surprised if Matthews turns out to have a materially better career than Jack, if at all.

Bottom line - I'm not worried about Jack. He's an elite offensive talent and not an elite defensive player. But defense is much easier to improve with experience and good coaching. One thing I'm certain of is that Jack is extremely competitive and will always try to improve his game and win.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
I'm still hating Bogo's stupid decision-making. He really is a caveman most nights. Great skills, great physicality, but has no idea where to pass the puck. He reminds me of my eight-year-old self trying to play basketball. I'd much rather see Fedun getting more minutes at this point. He is an intelligent puck mover. Bogo should just skate the puck out of the zone every time. He'll get in less trouble.

Bogosian literally has no aim as well......neither goalies have shown to be the true #1 of the Sabres Lehner was just pretty good the other night.

Alexns05

Oct 30, 2014

They both let in 1 bad goal today in about 30 minutes of play. I think Byslma pulled Lehner to make the team respond as opposed to Lehner playing badly.

Man of Principles

The Krueger Effect
Nov 30, 2011

Even after the horrendous Carolina game last Friday? They both have off games, bit Lehner is your #1 undoubtedly.

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY
Jack Eichel is like a Kovalchuk playing center. His main weapon will be elite offense but we won't get to see it under Bylsma or on a busted ankle.

Matthews is fantastic but again, a different syle. His rookie year was much better than Eichel's but I want to see Jack play in a real NHL system before I sell him short.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
I've heard this comment a lot recently. I don't really agree with it. He looks lackadaisacal sometimes when he's sizing up the play and looking for proper positioning. I'm not claiming he puts in ROR effort or has Reinhart IQ, but I think this criticism is over-stated. Also, he will improve in both areas over the next few years. Everyone is just panicking because they are comparing him to Matthews. Assuming they both stay healthy, I'll be surprised if Matthews turns out to have a materially better career than Jack, if at all.

Bottom line - I'm not worried about Jack. He's an elite offensive talent and not an elite defensive player. But defense is much easier to improve with experience and good coaching. One thing I'm certain of is that Jack is extremely competitive and will always try to improve his game and win.

Jack's ES Corsi For% was the lowest of any forward on the team at 35%. And yet he still managed to have the most shots on goal for either team with 6.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
I was at the game tonight and I have some observations:

- The Sabres started the first 10 minutes playing a 1-2-2 and everything was going swimmingly and then they just abandoned it. I don't know if that was Bylsma's choice or if these guys just aren't buying in.

-The goaltending handed the Leafs that game tonight. I thought the team played pretty well and adding Ennis, a healthy Kulikov and Larrsson to that lineup for an extended period and I believe they would be competing for a playoff spot.

- The Leafs are 9-1-1 in their last 11 but they don't look like a team that is that good. They have pretty much been injury free most of the year but everyone knows that that doesn't last. If Reilly is out for a while then they will struggle.

-Matthews might be the best two way teenage Centre I have seen. He is very good defensively. Such a polished and intelligent player and the kid is built like a horse. He is much thicker then Eichel and just bounces of checkers.

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005
The thing that pisses me off more than anything is this stupid passive style they play. When they actually get aggressive and open their game up a bit, they are a much better team. Bylsma obviously doesn't trust his players and he's holding them back big time. Which in my opinion is a massive mistake.

Cmon Bylzzzma, try something different, my goodness.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
Jack Eichel is like a Kovalchuk playing center. His main weapon will be elite offense but we won't get to see it under Bylsma or on a busted ankle.

Matthews is fantastic but again, a different syle. His rookie year was much better than Eichel's but I want to see Jack play in a real NHL system before I sell him short.

As a Leafs fan, I will be the first to say that I really don't understand why people fall into comparisons. I know it's easy to do but it frustrates me to see young talent be criticized and dragged down, not because they aren't good, but because people get caught up in a heated debate in proving which talent is better. This league isn't a competition of who has the best player, it's about having the best team that can win a Cup. Even if a decade from now, it's a sure thing that one of Matthews or Eichel is definitely the better player, would it matter to the opposing team if they were winning Cups instead of winning recognition for having the 'better' player on their team? I'd take the Cups any day of the week.

He's young and has plenty of time to improve his weaknesses in order to compliment so many of his strengths.

CarlWinslow

@hiphopsicles
Jan 25, 2010
Winnipeg
He was playing Gorges-Risto with his blueline healthy, shut up.

Yeah. Exactly. Just poor decisions.

Regarding Eichel - Matthews, Matthews backchecked well and had a pretty easy goal due to his line mates. He was fine.

Eichel is absurdly good in that he appears to be utterly dominant with the puck night after night. Like everyone else, would be nice to see him under a better coach.

schenneuf

Jul 4, 2011
Good game. You clawed your way back and came close. If I may, a few thoughts:

• Eichel is going to be very good. I'm glad you have him and that he's in the division. I shudder to think how good he will be when he's 25.
    Much like Rielly, Ristolainen appears to have stalled a bit, but I'd still take him over any of our D due to his tools/upside.
    O'Reilly is a warrior. Very jealous.
    I like Reinhart's IQ, however it appears his lack of dynamic skating may limit his impact.
    I think your players would benefit from a more freewheeling, offensive coach.
    Nothing new or earth-shattering, I know. But I look forward to our rivalry over the next 15 years.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY

• Eichel is going to be very good. I'm glad you have him and that he's in the division. I shudder to think how good he will be when he's 25.
    Much like Rielly, Ristolainen appears to have stalled a bit, but I'd still take him over any of our D due to his tools/upside.
    I like Reinhart's IQ, however it appears his lack of dynamic skating may limit his impact.
    Nothing new or earth-shattering, I know. But I look forward to our rivalry over the next 15 years.

You should have seen him before Bylsma did exactly what he said he wouldn't and gave him dozens of consecutive games approaching 30 minutes with Josh Gorges as his partner for most of them. Risto's completely burnt out now.

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY

As long as Bylsma is our coach you will have automatic easy wins. Never been more mad than following this team. Clown show. Glad you won in regulation because Bylsma would have rolled out 2 Defensemen or something dumb to allow you even more fun.

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY
The thing that pisses me off more than anything is this stupid passive style they play. When they actually get aggressive and open their game up a bit, they are a much better team. Bylsma obviously doesn't trust his players and he's holding them back big time. Which in my opinion is a massive mistake.

Cmon Bylzzzma, try something different, my goodness.

Eichel has been dropping hints that he hates the coaching. A few weeks ago he said the best offense is a good defense after a game that he won.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad