GDT: #44 – Sabres at Leafs – Tue Jan 17, 7:30PM ET – MSG-B

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Good game. You clawed your way back and came close. If I may, a few thoughts:

• Eichel is going to be very good. I'm glad you have him and that he's in the division. I shudder to think how good he will be when he's 25.
    Much like Rielly, Ristolainen appears to have stalled a bit, but I'd still take him over any of our D due to his tools/upside.
    O'Reilly is a warrior. Very jealous.
    I like Reinhart's IQ, however it appears his lack of dynamic skating may limit his impact.
    I think your players would benefit from a more freewheeling, offensive coach.
    Nothing new or earth-shattering, I know. But I look forward to our rivalry over the next 15 years.

Just like last season, Bylsma rode Risto too hard early in the season, and the entire team is paying for it now that we're in the trenches. He's a workhorse, but not a Ryan Suter "I can play 30mins a game every game and still be consistently great" workhorse.
Your observations are on point, though. Reinhart is definitely held back a little bit by his lack of natural athleticism, and the entire roster seems to be held back by its coach.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
I don't understand Dan Bylsma's decision(s) to play extremely conservative when it's clear the Sabres have guys who can outwork and outskill opposing players in their own zone. It puts way too much in one end on the top pairing guys (RR) and now he looks tired from eating mega minutes.

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
I don't understand Dan Bylsma's decision(s) to play extremely conservative when it's clear the Sabres have guys who can outwork and outskill opposing players in their own zone. It puts way too much in one end on the top pairing guys (RR) and now he looks tired from eating mega minutes.
Nobody does. He's nothing if not stubborn, because he's making the same mistakes as last year. ROR and Ristolainen are both noticeably wearing down, and we're only halfway through.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
Nobody does. He's nothing if not stubborn, because he's making the same mistakes as last year. ROR and Ristolainen are both noticeably wearing down, and we're only halfway through.

I don't get why he doesn't look at this and try to adjust. Realistically you can't blame the players if the TOI and quality of competition is there at such a high amount/rate. I'd venture to say ROR is one of the hardest working and best in shape on the team, so if he's getting worn out and tired that's a problem barely halfway.

It may seem very outlandish but I really hope Bylsma either opens up the play style or goes. I really think that a big problem would be solved with a coach who would let them play instead of turtling and/or freezing up essentially.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad