42oa: Eetu Luostarinen C/KalPa, FEL

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
It's far from unheard of. Just off the top of my head I can recall Wallmark, Karlsson, Lindstrom, Kivisto, and Manzato playing in Europe while their ELCs were burning.

One of the issues is that he's still under contract in Finland next season, which means the Hurricanes would have to pay a transfer fee ($240,000 IIRC) for him to play here next season.
Yes, it's obviously not impossible, but the club gets to keep the drafting rights for guys drafted from Europe for four years. There is no particular hurry to sign them if it looks likely that they would stay in Europe for another season, unless the team really insist on getting the prospect under their control *now*.

Kivisto for example was drafted from WHL (under the previous CBA so I'm not sure of the rules), which may have meant that they only got two years to sign him up, so a case like that could be to either sign him now or let him re-enter the draft.

And, only guessing in lieu of actual knowledge, but I would assume the transfer fee is strongly tied to signing the SPC, which is the point when the control over the player transfers to the NHL organisation. If he plays in Kalpa next year, it will legal-technically be on a Loan by Canes. But obviously there can be a stipulation about the player staying in his IIHF-associated team with no transfer fee to be paid.

Come to think of it, the Swedish team persons kind of expected Sellgren to get signed this summer, but also expected to be having him in the next season. So staying in Europe can also be a plausible scenario.

Last edited:

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
This guy will become a future third center for the Canes and i actually believe he will develop to become one of the best at that. 4 goals already and he is very complete and sound in his game. Good skater and hard working and trying to contribute defensively as well.
Canes Finnish picks can become something really interesting. Kuokkanen is a future NHL´er as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00