42oa: Eetu Luostarinen C/KalPa, FEL

bluedevil58

Oct 19, 2017
I always thought Swedes were known for a solid 2 way game. But yeah s9me from there too.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
The Finland NT coach was a bit woe-on-me in the press just now. There are NT games going on, but Liiga has scheduled games at the same time, and he's a bit in peccadillo for not wanting to call guys whose Liiga team is intensely fighting for a playoffs spot.

Luostarinen was presented as an explicit example of such player. We will possibly see him in the WHC tournament in the spring, which would be a courtesy that one Seb Aho had to make a show of himself in the WJC.

fr9dd9

Nov 18, 2010
Sweden
This kid was really good at WC before getting injured, I think he is a rare case of a big 190cm player that skates and go around the ice looking like a smaller player like 180cm. Verry rare and I AM really exited how good he can become, he will be a Good nhl player one day.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
I think both Luostarinen and Geekie have potential to be NHL centers. Which might allow Necas to develop into a playmaking RW.
If Luostarinen joins the Checkers the middle would be impressive: Geekie/Luostarinen/Roy/Bishop and Brown if he stays in the organization.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Unlikely yes but I didnt want to say for sure he will play ahl, does it not come down to what they agree upon signing?
Yes. Probably. I don't know the reality of the shenanigans between the team, player and agent.

Technically they are prohibited to give any guarantees or handshake deals or understandings that aren't/can't be signed on the ELC, and once he signs the SPC it should effectively mean that he's their little ***** for them to use as they like as per the terms of the SPC.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Something I thought was neat:

We all love the draft, and it's obviously a big deal. But it's really just a snapshot in time. It changes very little in terms of scouting. Teams don't really change their scouting at any point during the season. They are *always* scouting *everyone* including players who get drafted by other teams and players who slip through drafts. You never know when somebody you liked it going to become available again, in some way or another.

With that in mind, I noticed that all these guys were originally draft eligible in 2016: Julien Gauthier (2016 first round, 10/15/97), Janne Kuokkanen (2016, second round, 5/25/98), Jake Bean (2016 first round, 6/9/98), Jesper Sellgren (2018, sixth round, 6/11/98), Morgan Geekie (2017, third round, 7/20/98) and Eetu Luostarinen (2017, second round, 9/2/98).

So even though they've been drafted in different years and their development paths have been all over the chart, they are all basically the same age, the last five of them being born within about 13 weeks of each other. That's a pretty impressive list for guys who were all on the radar at the same time.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Something I thought was neat:

We all love the draft, and it's obviously a big deal. But it's really just a snapshot in time. It changes very little in terms of scouting. Teams don't really change their scouting at any point during the season. They are *always* scouting *everyone* including players who get drafted by other teams and players who slip through drafts. You never know when somebody you liked it going to become available again, in some way or another.

With that in mind, I noticed that all these guys were originally draft eligible in 2016: Julien Gauthier (2016 first round, 10/15/97), Janne Kuokkanen (2016, second round, 5/25/98), Jake Bean (2016 first round, 6/9/98), Jesper Sellgren (2018, sixth round, 6/11/98), Morgan Geekie (2017, third round, 7/20/98) and Eetu Luostarinen (2017, second round, 9/2/98).

So even though they've been drafted in different years and their development paths have been all over the chart, they are all basically the same age, the last five of them being born within about 13 weeks of each other. That's a pretty impressive list for guys who were all on the radar at the same time.

I had forgotten that Geekie was a D+1 pick as well. Sellgren, Geekie, and Loustarinen have paid dividends early on. Brett Leason (April 99 birthday) is only 7 months older than Eetu and sitting in the 25-40 range of the Draft. Maybe the Canes take another gamble. I see upsides and downsides to flooding the system with good prospects all in the same age range.

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
He's 20 so not Slide eligible. It's unlikely he'd be playing in Europe while his ELC is burning.
It's far from unheard of. Just off the top of my head I can recall Wallmark, Karlsson, Lindstrom, Kivisto, and Manzato playing in Europe while their ELCs were burning.

One of the issues is that he's still under contract in Finland next season, which means the Hurricanes would have to pay a transfer fee ($240,000 IIRC) for him to play here next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad