Golf: 42nd Ryder Cup at Le Golf National - September 28-30

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I haven't seen it excessively, but I'm loving the look of this course from a flyover of each holes. Can anyone tell me what the greens are like? Crazy undulations like August/Merion or flattish with simple breaking putts like Bethpage Black ?

Narrow fairways, long rough, slow and basic green complexes. That’s how Europe likes to set it up. The European Tour greens are almost always slower than the PGA Tour. The best American putters almost always struggle with their putting at the Open because of how slow the greens are.

Jan 3, 2012
Narrow fairways, long rough, slow and basic green complexes. That’s how Europe likes to set it up. The European Tour greens are almost always slower than the PGA Tour. The best American putters almost always struggle with their putting at the Open because of how slow the greens are.

Really? Because intuitively I would think slow greens would mean better putting because you can be more aggressive.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Really? Because intuitively I would think slow greens would mean better putting because you can be more aggressive.

I think it comes out to the opposite. Everyone can be aggressive with slow greens without much break. It’s much harder to putt well when you have to match line and pace. The best putters almost always do better on faster greens with more slope. That’s why you see so many “putters” winning at ANGC historically. Tiger notoriously always struggles on slow greens, which you often get after it rains. Very often right after it rains he won’t get any of his putts to the hole. He’s not the only one either.

Jan 3, 2012
I think it comes out to the opposite. Everyone can be aggressive with slow greens without much break. It’s much harder to putt well when you have to match line and pace. The best putters almost always do better on faster greens with more slope. That’s why you see so many “putters” winning at ANGC historically. Tiger notoriously always struggles on slow greens, which you often get after it rains. Very often right after it rains he won’t get any of his putts to the hole. He’s not the only one either.

I'm struggling to wrap my head around which the bolded refers to. Fast or slow greens?

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
Faster greens requires more touch to get the right speed, since it's generally easier to hit a putt 5 feet by on fast greens than to leave a putt 5 feet short on slow greens.

Basically, slow greens are preferable for bad putters in the same way that 99% of tour pros would prefer an uphill putt over a downhill putt of the same length.

Jan 3, 2012
Fast.

There’s a bigger difference in putting ability between good and bad putters on fast greens with a lot of slope than slow greens without a lot of slope.

Yeah I kinda put it together after I asked, but I'm braindead so it's not wonder it took that long. Course does look really nice though, I like the usage of water. Wouldn't mind playing it myself one day. Is it open to the public?

If I wasn't American, it would be fun to see the match play choke pairing of Phil and Tiger.

Phil shouldn't even be in this RC, he is washed. But I agree those two would not succeed.

Jan 3, 2012

Yeah easy for Furyk to hit fairways when he is driving 260 off the tee.

I would say Tigers stat there is misleading because a good chunk of the season he was spraying it off the tee like at the Honda, last couple events he really tidied it up and was hitting 50-80% of his fairways each round.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
First shot of Thomas I've seen since the first hole. Hole 6. I guess these graphics are more important than showing the golf.

Zibanejbread

Rebuilding.
Jan 19, 2013
PA
Told myself to be responsible and get some needed sleep, yet here I am, watching golf at 4 AM. Oops.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
You never see as many holed chips as in the Ryder Cup.

Kinda going as expected right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad