Post-Game Talk: #42 - Bruins @ Rangers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He is an elite goalscorer. I'm not going to say our 2nd leading scorer in the playoffs was bad.

If a player of Nash's caliber went to UFA, $7.5M+ long term is exactly what they would get, so, I don't really understand the whole bang for your buck argument. Is being one of the highest scoring teams over the last 2 seasons not enough?

Thats the same type of argument that can be used for Staal or Girardi. If they got the same amount that they got from the Rangers on the UFA market, would you claim they are worth that amount?

Nash has the 10th highest cap hit in the NHL for a forward. If you want his game analyzed by his full game, he's not close to being a top 10 forward in the NHL and you know that. At no point in his career so far has he been one of the top two way forwards in the NHL. He has been an elite goal scorer at points in his career, and thats why he's paid what he is by the Rangers.

If he scores like he did in the 2014-15 regular season, he would deserve that contract, but he's struggled for nearly a year now. 23 goals and 33 assists in his last 82 games, thats not an elite goal scorer or an elite forward. Nash is completely underachieving.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I would love to have $8M in cap space but not at the expense of Nash when Staal/Boyle/Girardi make $15M.

Thats the same type of argument that can be used for Staal or Girardi. If they got the same amount that they got from the Rangers on the UFA market, would you claim they are worth that amount?

Nash has the 10th highest cap hit in the NHL for a forward. If you want his game analyzed by his full game, he's not close to being a top 10 forward in the NHL and you know that. At no point in his career so far has he been one of the top two way forwards in the NHL. He has been an elite goal scorer at points in his career, and thats why he's paid what he is by the Rangers.

If he scores like he did in the 2014-15 regular season, he would deserve that contract, but he's struggled for nearly a year now. 23 goals and 33 assists in his last 82 games, thats not an elite goal scorer or an elite forward. Nash is completely underachieving.
He was absolutely a Top-10 forward last year. If the measure of his contract is for him to be a Top-10 forward every year, that's just a really excessive standard. His contract is not a steal but it's fair.

If Nash even is overpaid, it's not by a lot, and is really just like having no wiper fluid in a car with slashed tires, in the context of this team's construction.

Last edited:

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
You're probably right he would prob command 7 million or so but not this years Nash. call me crazy I feel like we could do much more good for this team going forward if we freed up his 8 million and somehow got something back in return. It's unlikely it will happen so we will just have to hope he can start scoring some goals and scoring them when it matters

What are we going to do with that 8 million? Go out and sign worse forwards?

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
fair enough

i gave my analysis.

he was awful last night. he was invisible (again) and lacking effort. he looked slow and disengaged. i saw a few shots and a few attempts at passing. but for the most part, and for the minutes he gets, he was his usual playoff rick nash self.

your turn and please complete your assignment this time.

i want your opinion on rick nash last minute of last nights game along the wall where he was impersonating a 4th liner. imo, he pulled it off, he looked like a 4th liner who failed to do his job.

fyi, i voted for him as a sympathy vote.

He wasn't awful, he carried play in the first and second. I didn't watch at least 3/4's of the third, I had to take care of a ailing pet. There were numerous scoring chances started by him. Look at the tape, Nash created several for Megna and Stepan. It wasn't because of their stellar play.

You have tunnel vision with certain players, I don't know why but you do. Why not have pointed criticism with the guys that really drag the team down, Girardi or Staal or Stepan or even Kreider, THEY'RE ALL HOMEGROWN IS THAT WHY?. Nash creates space for his linemates and sure as hell isn't a passenger when he's paired with guys like Stepan and Megna.

The only game I was disappointed with his play to the point where I said "what the hell" was the Panther game, I was there and he didn't look very good but neither did the entire team.

This narrative with regard to Nash being terrible and not working hard or not scoring enough etc. etc. etc. can be carried over to literally 5-8 players other than him. The Rangers are not going to get anywhere near equal value in a trade.

Last edited:

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
He wasn't awful, he carried play in the first and second. I didn't watch at least 3/4's of the third, I had to take care of a ailing pet. There were numerous scoring chances started by him. Look at the tape, Nash created several for Megna and Stepan. It wasn't because of their stellar play.

You have tunnel vision with certain players, I don't know why but you do. Why not have pointed criticism with the guys that really drag the team down, Girardi or Staal or Stepan or even Kreider, THEY'RE ALL HOMEGROWN IS THAT WHY?. Nash creates space for his linemates and sure as hell isn't a passenger when he's paired with guys like Stepan and Megna.

The only game I was disappointed with his play to the point where I said "what the hell" was the Panther game, I was there and he didn't look very good but neither did the entire team.

This narrative with regard to Nash being terrible and not working hard or not scoring enough etc. etc. etc. can be carried over to literally 5-8 players other than him. The Rangers are not going to get anywhere near equal value in a trade.

sorry about your pet bro. been there. hope all is well.

you didn't really mention the play i specifically cited. thats fine. if you can review it, you would see what i saw.

nash is paid 8 mill per to be our best forward. heck, our best player not named hank. he's paid big bucks to produce. my opinion is he's not holding up his end of the bargain.

when you read larrys article today he mentions how nash is back to being the defensive wiz he is- after a month of i guess not being that ?, and how zuc and brass need him back on that line to help them with their "defensive deficiencies" and restore order to that line. wtf ?

um, we need 8 mill rick nash to play defense for those 2 ? ya no.

nash is paid to score goals. period. thats what 8 mil per players do. they score. they don't impersonate dominic moore.

nash needs to start earning that 8 mil. for this team to win.

the homegrown thing isn't relevant. i love zuc and brass. love lindberg. really like what I'm seeing from kevin klein with mcd. heck, i even like tanner glass the last few games. all of those guys aren't "homegrown". :snakehead

i will agree staal is brutal, girardis metrics are painful and kreider looks completely lost.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
If Ryan McDonagh all of a sudden scored 60 points in a season but didn't play any defense, would his play be justifiable? Thats kind of the Nash situation.

He puts up some assists, creates some chances, plays good defense, good on the PK, but he isn't paid his salary to do those things at the level that he does. The current Rick Nash without the elite goal scoring is a borderline first line winger, not the superstar goal scorer that he was supposed to be. He's probably worth Zucc's contract without the goal scoring, not an extra 3.3M that he's getting. He's underproducing.

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
IDK man, McDonagh's paid to be the third best defenseman on the team. I'd say he's lived up to that this year.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Nash is legitimately the best ES goal scorer in the league.

I really don't know what some of you want from him.

Shouldn't every team in the league want the best ES goal scorer in the league? Shouldn't teams be blowing us away with trade offers for the best?

Would other teams want OV? Would teams want Stamkos? Would teams want Kane or Toews? Why is there a disconnection?

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Shouldn't every team in the league want the best ES goal scorer in the league? Shouldn't teams be blowing us away with trade offers for the best?

Would other teams want OV? Would teams want Stamkos? Would teams want Kane or Toews? Why is there a disconnection?

Is Nash available, are any of those guys available? How would you know who is or isn't making offers for Nash? Brooks? :laugh:

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Also can you list all of the offers for Kane, OV and guys like them all of the other teams have on the table? Surely those exist?

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Right now the Rangers are offering Kreider, McDonagh, Saarela and a first for Patrick Kane, as soon as Chicago makes him available he will be a Ranger. Lul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad