Prospect Info: #41 RW Nathan Bastian

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Watching his highlights I couldn't help but see Wayne Simmonds, underrated shot and hard worker around the net. Wraparounds, tips, etc. Simmonds went 61st overall and had 49 pts in 66 games his draft year. Bastian had 59 pts in 64 games. Not even sure Simmonds has Bastian's playmaking ability. Not saying Bastian automatically becomes a 50-60 point power forward but all the tools are there for it to happen. I might even be more excited about him than McLeod.

I can see this comparison, even down to their skating style. I liked this pick when we made it, and love it since looking into it in more detail.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Watching his highlights I couldn't help but see Wayne Simmonds, underrated shot and hard worker around the net. Wraparounds, tips, etc. Simmonds went 61st overall and had 49 pts in 66 games his draft year. Bastian had 59 pts in 64 games. Not even sure Simmonds has Bastian's playmaking ability. Not saying Bastian automatically becomes a 50-60 point power forward but all the tools are there for it to happen. I might even be more excited about him than McLeod.

Yes please. Simmonds is a great player and a premier power forward. Does this Bastian have the nasty edge to his game that Simmonds has though?

HenriquesJawLine

Mar 6, 2009
Yes please. Simmonds is a great player and a premier power forward. Does this Bastian have the nasty edge to his game that Simmonds has though?

You could see glimpses of it in his highlights, some nice hits that freed the puck and another where he went after a guy that laid a big hit on a teammate. I think I read that he needs to play that way more consistently though.

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
Compares his game to Jeff Carter. Watching some highlights I can see that for sure. I think he'll end up at center long term for us and he could be a force down the middle in the middle six.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Like with the McLeod pick, feels like the draft went as bad as it could have right before the Devils' pick. Was hoping any of Debrincat, Benson, Asplund, Kyrou, or Mascherin were going to make it to 41.

Obviously you can't hold that against Bastian though. I wonder if Nylander, McLeod, and Bastian are all gonna be back on the top line for Mississauga next season.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Like with the McLeod pick, feels like the draft went as bad as it could have right before the Devils' pick. Was hoping any of Debrincat, Benson, Asplund, Kyrou, or Mascherin were going to make it to 41.

Obviously you can't hold that against Bastian though. I wonder if Nylander, McLeod, and Bastian are all gonna be back on the top line for Mississauga next season.

I was a Cam Morrison guy. He and Bastian seem to have similar games actually.

HenriquesJawLine

Mar 6, 2009
Who is he talking to? Also he does seem genuinely excited about the kids he might end up playing with. Name dropped Speers and Zacha (someone else but I couldn't hear).

The other one is Colton White, he mentioned to the media he's friends with him. Looking at Tampa's draft I'm guessing he was talking to Soo Greyhound Boris Katchouk (White and Speers' team)

Group Chat Legend*

I like his enthusiasm about our list if prospects, makes you wonder what these kids know that we don't, considering they all have played together or against each other.

I think we had one of the best drafts in the league.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I don't recall where I read it (so much hockey reading this weekend), but I read somewhere that the plan is to have Bastian as a full-time center behind McLeod next season.

Castron mentioned it in an interview on the team site. I forgot that Mississauga also has RW Owen Tippett who is #4 on HockeyProspect.com's preliminary list for the 2017 Draft.

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
Bastian had five assists last night. He's up to 3 goals and 9 points in 4 games, 2.25 P/PG. His shot is legit, I have no idea how he didn't score more goals last year.

I'm honestly more excited about Bastian's upside than McLeod's for the Devils. He's a beast.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad