Prospect Info: #41 RW Nathan Bastian

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
He means the Hynes Q/A thing at the Rock, which I almost forgot about. But I doubt they really make a big deal out of bringing either guy up for that since McLeod has basically no chance to make the team this year and Bastian is definitely not making the team. Zacha they wanted to tout cause he was a high pick that had a chance of playing, the first high pick under the new administration.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
Hynes has said time & time again that he wants a Big & Fast team. All the forwards the Devils picked minus Joey Anderson are all big and good skaters. Anderson, while not big play's big and is fast.

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
I like this pick. He is a pretty good player and has a high floor. I actually liked taking McLeod and him back to back.

PWiz30

I love to hockey!
Jan 3, 2013
I was hoping Debrincat would fall to 41, but this kid looks like he can play. The built in chemistry with Mcleod is nice to see too.

ghoti

Grind Time
Sep 18, 2005
This guy looks like a pretty good skater for his size to me. Just about anyone looks slow next to McLeod.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
so we've got our next set of wondertwins?

Parise + Zajac McCleod + Bastian

11202624_399738286876498_1486083877_n.jpg

Caption: miss heem

https://www.instagram.com/p/2hJhbsGkul/?taken-by=naterbastian

Group Chat Legend*

i really want to see this kid play Center only, even if it means playing behind McLeod next year.

I want to see them work together on a line, if they can embrace playing together that can bring out some of the best hockey in people.

Chemistry is underrated.

DanteDevilsHockey

Jun 21, 2016
North Jersey
Nathan Bastian played on a line with Michael McLeod and Alex Nylander. He has the experience of playing with elite tier players and having Bastian transition along with McLeod to the Devils system is a great thing for this organization. His stats weren't far off from McLeod's showing that he can produce with top tier forwards. I am aware he was playing with 2 first rounders (8th and 12th). He can develop in the skating aspect of the game, but he has showed that he has a good shot that will transition well into the NHL in 2-3 years. Mississauga looks to be a good organization for highly touted prospects and along with McLeod, Bastian will develop into a solid forward. He might not have the same tools and capabilities of McLeod but Shero got a gem in the 2nd round today. I would've loved to have the skilled and speedy Alex Debrincat of the Erie Otters who has had back to back 100 point seasons in the OHL, but he's only 5'7'' and many have made arguments he has only put up great numbers because he had Connor McDavid and Dylan Strome as his center the past few years. Happy Shero went with Bastian, because we didn't only obtain a player with great tools to develop into and NHL caliber player, but we got a player with a great personality that can hopefully spread through the organization.

HenriquesJawLine

Mar 6, 2009
Watching his highlights I couldn't help but see Wayne Simmonds, underrated shot and hard worker around the net. Wraparounds, tips, etc. Simmonds went 61st overall and had 49 pts in 66 games his draft year. Bastian had 59 pts in 64 games. Not even sure Simmonds has Bastian's playmaking ability. Not saying Bastian automatically becomes a 50-60 point power forward but all the tools are there for it to happen. I might even be more excited about him than McLeod.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad