Post-Game Talk: #41 | FLYERS (H) vs. Sabres (A) | Sunday, Apr. 11, 2021 | Loss 5-3

Philly Fanatik

"They're going home!"
Jun 24, 2017
Clarenville,NL,Canada
Agree on Couts and G , they stay, too important.
I keep Ghost
One of Jake or JVR need to go for the cap allocation.
Raffl should be gone long ago
Laughton 100% gone
Keep Morin for cheap.
...Couturier can stay but not with a Brinks truck full of money from an outlandish overpayment of a contract.
Giroux can go get his Cup...a la Raymond Bourque and the rest...
see later and I wouldn’t want to be ya!

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
We would at least get higher draft picks... these middle picks aren't much help.

Sure but I don’t want this current regime doing it. They’ve changed out head coaches & GM’s over the years but the infrastructure of their front office hasn’t changed all that greatly. You have some guys in there that have been here since the end of Clarke’s/beginning of Homer’s GM tenures for whatever reason.

Hextallent63

Oct 13, 2011
This is 1000% true..... this abomination of a season is happening for a reason. I don't know why, but i'm telling you everything that can go wrong has gone wrong ... If you believe in that sh** (which I do lol) about the hockey gods messing with you. How many games have we played well but we don't win because we can't finish a play (its not been the other teams goaltending either). We miss or fumble a pass that would have led to a wide open net.... we shot the puck wide... we suck on break aways... Yet we constantly turn the puck over and its off the bar and in or a tap in for the opponent.... its bizarre
I hear you but holy smokes, we are not losing by a goal or two, we are getting completely ass canned but some of the worst teams in the league. Predictably too. Today for example I wasn't convinced at all that we would win at any time.

DrewGl

Jul 28, 2018
Alexandria, VA
As a 42 year old man that got mono last year (out of nowhere) I lost 10 pounds and could not get out of bed for 3 months. Weird illnesses happen.

Hanover Fist

Aug 22, 2018
1313 Mockingbird Lane
If they fire AV today, is there some rule I don’t know about that says replacement has to be immediately named ?

Ghostbeer can coach the rest of this year for all I care.
I don’t like AV but he’s not getting fired. It’s been a chaotic year for sure and that’s how Fletcher going to look at it. A couple of moves after the Expansion draft depending on who gets taken.
If it’s a shit show next year at Christmas time they will clean house.

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
Aren't all these conversations about the roster related? Wouldn't the "Core" be more successful and able to win if the Hextall Draft Pick Core is actually able to step up in a consistent way? Perhaps the problem is that Provorov, Patrick, Konecny, Myers, etc etc etc aren't the stud prospects we thought they were. Or are we just going to wait and wish for the next group of seemingly promising Phantoms players to make it to the NHL only for them to underwhelm as well. In reality, I think the biggest downfall has been the failure to add NHL-level talent to the talent (core and drafted) that is on the roster. If you are going to add Thompson, Pitlick, Gustafsson, etc., players of no impact whatsoever, you should expect to be disappointed. It's been poor team construction, amplified by the fact that the coach favors players that are a detriment to the roster.

the mess on hextall for not firing hakstol when trotz was available, when we had cap space in 2018, talent was there he choose to blow money on jvr and not get a center and a defenseman and this team would probably much better shape right now if he did and maybe have more cap space. so dont blame fletch and av for hextall's mess he created because the talent was there he choose to sit on it. the mess on him and we had to settle for lesser talented players.

we are stuck in this mess, there's nothing you can do, now fletch has to clean his mess up. sorry but crying wolf and firing this guy and that guy isnt going change anything. the damage is done, now we have to deal with it and be patient.

phil162888

Jul 28, 2012
I hear you but holy smokes, we are not losing by a goal or two, we are getting completely ass canned but some of the worst teams in the league. Predictably too. Today for example I wasn't convinced at all that we would win at any time.

I had the same feeling when NAK missed that wide open net and Ulmark robbed Couts with the stick. The team in general has no confidence including our most important player Hart. I think AV is the cause of this, that's why i'm now leaning on having him fired. He's become the spotlight for the team like his sh** doesn't stink. I'm ok with giving him another chance (i'm 99% sure Fletcher does this) but I wouldn't judge the players based on AV comments (think Fletcher did that once with Hayes thats looking terrible). Let him and the leaders (whichever vets are left over) work it out or find someone who can lead a young team but developing team (we have lots of good young players entering their primes soon this is not a true rebuild)

Reactions: Hextallent63

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
the mess on hextall for not firing hakstol when trotz was available, when we had cap space in 2018, talent was there he choose to blow money on jvr and not get a center and a defenseman and this team would probably much better shape right now if he did and maybe have more cap space. so dont blame fletch and av for hextall's mess he created because the talent was there he choose to sit on it. the mess on him and we had to settle for lesser talented players.

we are stuck in this mess, there's nothing you can do, now fletch has to clean his mess up. sorry but crying wolf and firing this guy and that guy isnt going change anything. the damage is done, now we have to deal with it and be patient.
So you are saying the Flyers are a mess?

giphy-1.gif

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
Dave Scott is Dan Snyder 2.0. If you don't think his fat sausage fingers aren't all over this mess, I don't know what to say. Comcast needs to crap can him and his competent hockey people. It's time for guys like Holmgren and Clarke (and that pains me to say that) to go home. They don't need to be around the club anymore. Bring in a hockey guy to run operations. They had a chance to have Mark Hunter come in and run the show and they blew it the first time around. There's your new president and GM. As for coach, Benoit Groulx is ripe for the picking. Replace the entire scouting staff. Rebuild from the ground up. Someone mentioned bullies 2.0 and that can be done. They don't need to beat the shit out of everyone, but they need to be tough, physical, fast and skilled. And by tough, they don't just need to be physically tough, they need to be mentally tough. It also doesn't hurt to have a vocal and emotional leader in the ice, not just the dressing room.

Last edited:

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP

Truly the scribe this organization deserves. Great post.

Hextallent63

Oct 13, 2011
Ok so we remove Giroux, Voracek, & Coututier from the team & hand it over to Provorov, Hayes, Hart, Farabee, etc. do we feel any better?
If there is a full-blown rebuild the only two players on that list that will matter are hart and Farabee and by the time the team is ready to compete they will be vets

phil162888

Jul 28, 2012
Dave Scott is Dan Snyder 2.0. If you don't think his fat sausage fingers aren't all over this mess, I don't know what to say. Comcast needs to crap can him and his competent hockey people. It's time for guys like Holmgren and Clarke (and that pains me to say that) to go home. They don't need to be around the club anymore. Bring in a hockey guy to run operations. They had a chance to have Mark Hunter come in and run the show and they blew it the first time around. There's your new president and GM. As for coach, Benoit Groulx is ripe for the picking. Replace the entire scouting staff. Rebuild from the ground up. Someone mentioned bullies 2.0 and that can be done. They don't need to beat the shit out of everyone, but they need to be tough, physical, fast and skilled. And by tough, they don't just need to be physically tough, they need to be mentally tough. It also doesn't hurt to have a vocal and emotional leader in the ice, not just the dressing room.

I agree with almost all of this. We need an identity... we need to be tough to play against thats the DNA of this org and the city. We've gone away from that. Think Wash/Vegas/NYI style of team

Hextallent63

Oct 13, 2011
I think and I know this board thinks they are tradeable.
They do have a year left. They don’t expire this summer. I think.
The only way you get rid of players like Giroux and Vorachek are by picking up players that are older, worse have shitty contracts with half decent picks thrown in. Then use said new old guys as plugs and give time to kids. Or just let them go via FA and consider the cap space as addition by subtraction to give raises to young guys coming up, like farabee for instance.

Reactions: Curufinwe

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

I've increasingly gotten a "WFT under Allen" vibe with the Flyers.

Reactions: Striiker

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
The question of identity is an interesting one, and one that should really be posed to Hextall.

With such a clear disconnect/age gap between the talented older forwards and the young crop, and Couturier soon to hit 30...

Both HC’s have been trash but the roster is primarily of Hextall’s making. What exactly was the vision here?

Don Nachbaur 26

Jun 23, 2008
Mount Joy, PA
Fire the coaching staff and bring in Hitch for the last 15 games. Tell him, "Don't embarrass anymore than we already are." Hire a coach that's system won't leave the goalie high and dry. Let him have a say in the AHL coach. Ask Cuck Fletcher the hard question and bounce him he doesn't answer the right way. We know who needs to go and stay. Do it.

I'll give my 2 weeks tomorrow if you guys are cool with it.

Reactions: Flyerfan4life
Oct 26, 2018
somewhere
www.facebook.com
20210411_194940.jpg
Oh sweet darkness
Do you smell that
Orange sky that bestowed
Upon the dead tree
We call a season in the abyss
But remember the little drumma
That you got and there is
Thé family of Gordie Howe
That come and says
What the hell are you doing here?
And if we werent à bit closer
I would have let him call me a f***er
I swear
It seems Mark played for the flyers
And there This f***ing album meteora
Well it went down isnt it?
But guess what? Stay up.
There is a Nice show we call
Give a message : everything gonna be allright my man.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
The question of identity is an interesting one, and one that should really be posed to Hextall.

With such a clear disconnect/age gap between the talented older forwards and the young crop, and Couturier soon to hit 30...

Both HC’s have been trash but the roster is primarily of Hextall’s making. What exactly was the vision here?

He bet wrong that he could build quickly enough around those guys. It doesn’t help he pretty much didn’t have much impact on making pro additions around them either. One of the few positive additions on that front was JVR who he didn’t even see through anyway.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
It's like he's so ignorant of the sport that he doesn't realize the Caps and Pens both shoot this nonsense down. Both teams had people insisting their cores were the issue. Turns out they weren't, they just needed competent coaching and management to handle those cores and build around them.
People thought Yzerman was a loser, choker, bad leader, etc until he wasn't. Much easier to just blame the top dogs and call it a day than really think about it.

Flyrs21

Dec 17, 2006
I’m confused, the pens change the pieces. The core stays the same. They win cups. The flyers change the pieces, the core stays the same, they win no cups.

Whats’s the common denominator? The core.

Then again, maybe the flyers pieces need to be Gretzky and lemieux.
Because the penguins player evaluation was far superior than the Flyers. Over The years when you watch the pens it's hard to differentiate from their 3rd and 4th lines and sometimes their 2nd line. Because of the speed and work ethic of their players. You watch the flyers 3rd and 4th lines and wonder how they're in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad