Prospect Info: 2019 40th overall: Vancouver selects Nils Höglander (LW, Rögle BK)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TARS

May 3, 2009
Vancouver
5 games for that isn’t unreasonable. It doesn’t matter too much if he intended to injure the guy. It’s a stupid thing to do that will result in injury to other players a significant percentage of the time. Making it a suspendable offence is the best way to keep reckless plays like that out of the game.

If he threw an intentional elbow I would say it should be more, rather than it being 5 games for an intentional elbow and fewer or none for this play.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
I don't care about the suspension.

Just glad to see a prospect with some bite, I've seen enough highlights of him scoring goals in the Sweden, but he's still 5'9 and has to make the NHL. He's going to need to be physical and aggressive if he wants to be a quality player. Hoglander seems to have a reputation even when he played in junior, so it's good to see he still plays that way.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
No but I’m a homer. I didn’t think it was that bad. Reckless but not intentional imo
I don't think it was intentional either, but I definitely think reckless plays like that warrant at least a few games. Like I said, if it had happened to one of the Canucks' young guys I would be livid, regardless whether it was intentional or not.

Reactions: DonnyNucker

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
Saw him coming a mile away, lined the guy up, and threw an intentional elbow to the head -- while trying to fake like he was just trying to... swing his arms around wildly for no reason? Can't be that obvious about it, kid. If you're gonna play rat Marchand style, you gotta learn to make it a normal looking part of the play so as not to raise eyebrows.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Wow! Five games seems like a pretty severe penalty for an elbow, particularly if he's first-time offender. Does the SHL have more of a track record of 'throwing the book' at players who are involved in questionable plays? Couldn't see Hoglander getting any more than a game if he was playing in the NHL or AHL, and maybe only a fine.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Hopefully Hoglander has a little of 'Brad Marchand' in him. Canucks could use 'a little ball of hate' as Obama described him. At Hoglander's size, he's probably used to people taking runs at him. I don't mind the push-back at all.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
Brad Marchands dont just grow on trees. they dont just turn into one because the coach wants him to. Marchand was a grade "AA" hyper asspie when he was playing in Dartmouth N.S., he terrorizes parents in midget, and steals pens from the kindergarten teachers' desks. Balls of hate are born, never developed. Hoglander will never be a Marchand type, too normal.

Reactions: Nomobo

CanucksMJL

Context apologist.
Jul 6, 2009
I could easily see that elbow as him looking to contain the checker and because he was bent over misjudged the angle. Had his arm gone under the checker's arm it would have been a totally normal-looking innocuous play. Maybe he is a dirty POS, and in that case, at least he's our dirty POS.

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
Wow. Goal of the year, in any league.

Good to see the Canucks have another wave of talent coming behind the deep pro group.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Am I the only one that finds that goal kinda boring at this point? We’ve seen the exact one about 50 times now, including one by Hoglander himself last year.

That said, it is a nice little trick to have in his arsenal.

Reactions: settinguptheplay

CloutierForVezina

May 13, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
Crazy impressive goal there, probably the most impressive lacrosse-style goal I've seen pulled off. Defender was all over him, he made a slick pass to the back of the net to get some space. Corrals the puck while the defender recovers and is actively trying to steal it back, and then the goalie is hard up against the post and only leaves the tiniest hole at the very top. Just a tremendous individual effort and crazy hands to pull that off at that speed with someone on him.

Would like to see him end up the season at around 0.5PPG if he's going to turn into a top-6 NHL player one day.

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver
Am I the only one that finds that goal kinda boring at this point? We’ve seen the exact one about 50 times now, including one by Hoglander himself last year.

That said, it is a nice little trick to have in his arsenal.

If you can’t tell the difference between this version and the normal version I dont know what to tell you. Did you play hockey at all? I don’t wanna be that guy but there’s a pretty clear difference

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
He fights off the bigger opponent to keep possession, bounces the puck off the base of the net to fake him out, then shows amazing hands to get the puck onto his stick for the "lacrosse goal". Truly amazing.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019

That could be the nicest display of skill and toughest goal we've seen scored in years. Yeah, I'm going to assume you are the only one that found that play boring.

I've seen thousands of games, at all levels, and never seen a goal like that scored. Watch the replay again in slow motion - it's absolutely remarkable what he did with such little time and space.

Some said this kid had the best hands in the draft. That play shows why.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad