Prospect Info: 2019 40th overall: Vancouver selects Nils Höglander (LW, Rögle BK)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I don't think anyone's objecting to the idea that he may be better than Gudbranson. It's your claim that he's equivalent to or better than Myers that people find absurd.

I would absolutely love to see both guys given equivalent minutes in equivalent situations and compare the results.

In any case, I’ve said several times this year that Myers has been better than I expected and skated better than I remembered from last year. So far, my take on Myers has been off. We’ll see if that holds and if he’s skating as well in a couple months. If so, fair game calling me on that.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
I don't think anyone's objecting to the idea that he may be better than Gudbranson. It's your claim that he's equivalent to or better than Myers that people find absurd.
People aren't even objecting, they're taking threads completely off topic for a stupid pot shot at him. What Gaunce has to do with Nils Hoglander I don't know, but it sure looks goofy to come across lame attempts to dunk on MS.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
It's pretty common. Anytime that poster mentions not liking something Gaunce or Biega is brought up.

The rich part of it is that sting101 was a Granlund truther who had him as a 55 point player and said he projects to be "our Mikael Backlund", but nobody brings that up every time they disagree with him on.

Imagine trying to "dunk" on someone for valuing cheap roster depth while having that opinion on here for all to read. :D:popcorn:

Funny thing is I'm wrong all the time and admit I'm wrong all the time.

But I'm also right a lot and since Benning has been here I've been right about the moves this team has made and the players on this roster a whole hell of a lot more than I've been wrong. So it's just freaking hilarious to me to see the pro-Benning types who have been wrong about everything trying to bring up the fact that I said Biega was better than Gudbranson as some sort of a GOTCHA! moment.

And yeah, if I wanted to play this game with these posters and went through their takes from 2016 and 2017, it would be f***ing brutal for them. It's getting tempting, although basically none of the posters calling me out on anything have track records longer than a couple months, but seem to know everything I said from years ago.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Funny thing is I'm wrong all the time and admit I'm wrong all the time.

But I'm also right a lot and since Benning has been here I've been right about the moves this team has made and the players on this roster a whole hell of a lot more than I've been wrong. So it's just freaking hilarious to me to see the pro-Benning types who have been wrong about everything trying to bring up the fact that I said Biega was better than Gudbranson as some sort of a GOTCHA! moment.

And yeah, if I wanted to play this game with these posters and went through their takes from 2016 and 2017, it would be ****ing brutal for them. It's getting tempting, although basically none of the posters calling me out on anything have track records longer than a couple months, but seem to know everything I said from years ago.
If people aren't ever wrong, it means they're not actually engaging in interesting subjects. That's where i am toxic gets his "wait and see" ..."on the fence" type posts for. I'd rather engage someone willing to put their opinion out there than fence riders any day.

The other issue is that there is rarely a black or white, this is wrong, this is right type of debate. That's what makes discussion interesting.

Like I admit I was wrong about Shinkaruk the prospect, but the gripe about that deal wasn't really about Shinkaruk vs Granlund to begin with. But it's easy to "dunk" on someone who spoke against that trade because Shinkaruk busted, when that is actually a minor detail to why people were against it.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
People aren't even objecting, they're taking threads completely off topic for a stupid pot shot at him. What Gaunce has to do with Nils Hoglander I don't know, but it sure looks goofy to come across lame attempts to dunk on MS.

A pot shot? It was just an attempt at levity. Some folks around here need to lighten up a bit...

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
A pot shot? It was just an attempt at levity. Some folks around here need to lighten up a bit...

....do you think Biega or Gaunce would've been brought up in the Nils Hoglander thread if you for example made the exact same post about the michigan goal?

I think it's lame but i guess i need to lighten up a bit.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
....do you think Biega or Gaunce would've been brought up in the Nils Hoglander thread if you for example made the exact same post about the michigan goal?

I think it's lame but i guess i need to lighten up a bit.

You don't see any light hearted humour in suggesting that he would find a Gaunce dump in from centre ice more exciting?

Sheesh. Tough crowd.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Wow!...didn't realize that this kid actually played in the SHL as a 17 year old, and is beginning his second season in Sweden's top men's professional league at 18.....doesn't turn 19 until December.

Hard to believe that Hoglander didn't get picked somewhere in the first round, even though he is only 5'9"....but that skill-set is off the charts.

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
Hard to believe that Hoglander didn't get picked somewhere in the first round, even though he is only 5'9"....but that skill-set is off the charts.

Jim Benning really started to target a lot of size just over a year ago. Brought in a ton of it in a very short period of time, especially up front.

But during that period, it didn't stop them from taking a tiny Quinn Hughes at 7, followed up by another high pick on Swedish dwarf, Nils Hoglander.

Nice to see that the organisation's major emphasis on size didn't prevent them from taking undersized, skilled players at the draft. Could potentially make or break that administration.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Jim Benning really started to target a lot of size just over a year ago. Brought in a ton of it in a very short period of time, especially up front.

But during that period, it didn't stop them from taking a tiny Quinn Hughes at 7, followed up by another high pick on Swedish dwarf, Nils Hoglander.

Nice to see that the organisation's major emphasis on size didn't prevent them from taking undersized, skilled players at the draft. Could potentially make or break that administration.
Isnt Manukyan 5'3 120 lbs?

cc

Feb 28, 2002
I'd even say 0.6+ with his stature.

For context, Arvidsson, who pretty much the same size and similar skill set put up 0.8 at the same age in the same league.

I believe arvidsson was a year older when he got .8 points per game

Bourdon

Mar 20, 2007
you are correct. I was mistaken.

arvidsson is my comparison for Hoglander though
Actually Arvidsson was in his 20/21 yr old season when he broke out. Hoglander is 18 turning 19, but will only be entering his 19/20 yr old season next year. He would be almost 2 years (1yr, 8 months) behind when Arvidsson broke out.

Another way to look at it is if Arvidsson was drafted the 1st year he was eligible, Arvidsson wouldn't break out until his D+3 year. Hoglander is only in his D+1 year right now. Hoglander is old for his draft year, born in late 2000 vs 2001 like most of his draft class.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
You don't see any light hearted humour in suggesting that he would find a Gaunce dump in from centre ice more exciting?

Sheesh. Tough crowd.
thankfully someone gets it.

some people get awfully defensive when you bust some balls? I'm just having some fun with @MS he's a good hockey guy and can take it. i dont think he needs to run down a truly remarkeable play just because he is tired of watching these type of moves. i mean lets be fair here how many goals today are some crappy bounce or deflection off a skate. Lets give Hoglander some props and personally i could watch those all day every day. Or the fun when teams start taking his head off if he keeps trying it. You have to appreciate the way he dodged the check too by bouncing the puck off the net and reversing. Kid is extremely confident and competitive. Fun prospect

I also really dont recall ever saying Granlund would score 55pts perhaps someone can embarrass me with the drunk quote i made so i can say how horribly wrong i was. I mean projections can be a bitch i think a lot of people had Hodgson and some of our prospects horribly wrong. I dont think i ever thought Granlund was a borderline 1st line player or even close based on what i saw though.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Wow!...didn't realize that this kid actually played in the SHL as a 17 year old, and is beginning his second season in Sweden's top men's professional league at 18.....doesn't turn 19 until December.

Skillset good....
Production has never been there.....
He’s limited... somewhere.
No idea where....
Craig Button who has watched him play since he was 15 is adamant he’s never been a great scorer, nor will he likely be a good one in the NHL.

So I have zero expectations.... but I will wait for him to surprise me at the WJr’s or his next Canuck camp, or his first AHL season. Till I get to see him myself...

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Craig Button who has watched him play since he was 15 is adamant he’s never been a great scorer, nor will he likely be a good one in the NHL.

So I have zero expectations.... but I will wait for him to surprise me at the WJr’s or his next Canuck camp, or his first AHL season. Till I get to see him myself...

Craig Button as a scout is the equivalent of a river boat gambler. Every year he ranks some players completely off the board. I think he has an eye for talent but he can be very wrong on some prospects too.

But in this case he just doesn't see him as a high end offensive player but rather a Carl Hagelin type player. I think that's fair. No one here is projecting him as a 1st line winger I don't think.

Last edited:

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Craig Button as a scout is the equivalent of a river boat gambler. Every year he ranks some players completely off the board. I think he has an eye for talent but he can be very wrong on some prospects too.

But in this case he just doesn't see him as a high end offensive player but rather a Carl Hagelin type player. I think that's fair. No one here is projecting him as a 1st line winger I don't think.
i dont know. He says he has never had high end production but the kid has never played with his peers in a situation where he isn't the yougest kid on the team. He needs to work on his shot from what i've seen though

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006

Yeah... I was just thinking one should check their expectations bit based on his level of production thus far... and that the kids skills just may not exactly be 'off the charts'.

He's building a highlight reel tho... so that's good. But as Button stated with a dose of scrutiny... 'what was that, his third goal of the season?'

Reactions: F A N

Askel

By the way Benning should be fired.
Apr 19, 2004
Malmö/Vancouver
you are correct. I was mistaken.

arvidsson is my comparison for Hoglander though
They dont really play the same type of game. Hoglander is a waterbug player that is shifty with great stickhandling, while Arvidsson is much faster with a better shot. Both goes to the hard areas to score though. Then again Dahlen was never scared of going to the net to score in Sweden either, but looked soft in Utica.

Hoglander has looked great when I have watched him, but he could use some upgrades to his quickness to be an impact player in the NHL. If he does that he could be better than Podzolkin

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Yeah... I was just thinking one should check their expectations bit based on his level of production thus far... and that the kids skills just may not exactly be 'off the charts'.

He's building a highlight reel tho... so that's good. But as Button stated with a dose of scrutiny... 'what was that, his third goal of the season?'

Agreed and there's a difference between having the best hands and being the most skilled. Hoglander has gotten recognition for the former but not the latter. Regardless it's not going to be Hoglander's hands or skill that holds him back IMO. It's going to be his skating, his size, and his shot.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Stick to the thread topic, people. This thread is about Nils Hoghandler.
Hoghandler is that a pig farmer?

Hoglander on the other side, should be a guy landing hogs as in a A-10 Thunderbolt II aka the warthog.

From now on he should be known as Nils "the Warthog" Hoglander.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad