Prospect Info: 2019 40th overall: Vancouver selects Nils Höglander (LW, Rögle BK)

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The second lacrosse goal Hoglander has scored....but this one is obviously the most impressive....just filthy. How he gets the puck on his stick blade while he's skating and being checked is mind-blowing.

He's going to be fun to watch when he gets to NA.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
Crazy impressive goal there, probably the most impressive lacrosse-style goal I've seen pulled off. Defender was all over him, he made a slick pass to the back of the net to get some space. Corrals the puck while the defender recovers and is actively trying to steal it back, and then the goalie is hard up against the post and only leaves the tiniest hole at the very top. Just a tremendous individual effort and crazy hands to pull that off at that speed with someone on him.

Would like to see him end up the season at around 0.5PPG if he's going to turn into a top-6 NHL player one day.

I'd even say 0.6+ with his stature.

For context, Arvidsson, who pretty much the same size and similar skill set put up 0.8 at the same age in the same league.

Reactions: CloutierForVezina

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Am I the only one that finds that goal kinda boring at this point? We’ve seen the exact one about 50 times now, including one by Hoglander himself last year.

That said, it is a nice little trick to have in his arsenal.
Jesus what do you find exciting Brendan Gaunce dump ins from centre ice?

That was an incredible goal. quite the set of hands on this kid

Lemmiwinks

Jun 11, 2011
B.C.
Am I the only one that finds that goal kinda boring at this point? We’ve seen the exact one about 50 times now, including one by Hoglander himself last year.

That said, it is a nice little trick to have in his arsenal.
Not at all. Even though we’ve seen a number of them by this point this is by far the slickest lacrosse-style goal I’ve personally ever seen. It’s not the typical case where a guy has room while curling behind the net.
like if that’s boring I’m not sure where the bar is at for exciting.

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
I don’t know how many of you handle hockey sticks on a regular basis, but I’m sure a good chunk of you have played a little or at least are part of a beer league

That is a freakin hard move to pull off in practice as an isolated skill, my god to pull it off while maneuvering around a defender is something else.

Reactions: LickTheEnvelope

LovemyNucks

May 26, 2009
England
Amazing goal but for me the escape off of the back of the net in combination with how quickly he transitioned that into the lacrosse goal while he still had the defender hounding him is the impressive part. And let's be clear...he didn't pull this off in the CHL or NCAA...he pulled this off in the 3rd best mens league in the world.

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
I just saw a full-speed replay of the goal for the first time and it's even more insane. What a monster.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
If you can’t tell the difference between this version and the normal version I dont know what to tell you. Did you play hockey at all? I don’t wanna be that guy but there’s a pretty clear difference

That could be the nicest display of skill and toughest goal we've seen scored in years. Yeah, I'm going to assume you are the only one that found that play boring.

I've seen thousands of games, at all levels, and never seen a goal like that scored. Watch the replay again in slow motion - it's absolutely remarkable what he did with such little time and space.

Some said this kid had the best hands in the draft. That play shows why.

Jesus what do you find exciting Brendan Gaunce dump ins from centre ice?

That was an incredible goal. quite the set of hands on this kid

Yeah, figured I'd get a bunch of responses like this.

This is not a dump on Hoglander, who I'm quite bullish on. Like, there was a stickhandling keep-away sequence posted here a few days ago from one of his recent games was absolutely insane - didn't lead to a goal but was all over the offensive zone for about 15 seconds, and it to me was 100x more impressive (and projectable) that seeing this goal scored yet again.

Like, it seems like we see one of these lacrosse goals every week (and Svechnikov scored one in the NHL last night) and every time it happens, everyone is like OMG GOAL OF THE YEAR! when it's essentially a party trick that most skilled NHLers can do now. And Hoglander scored on this same move last year, so it isn't even something new. He made a nice move to spin away from a defender just before which makes it better than most of these, but ... meh, at this point. I was blown away when Mike Legg did this 20 years ago, but at this point it's basically a trick we see all the time that doesn't even really feel like a hockey play. If you feel differently, fair enough.

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver
Yeah, figured I'd get a bunch of responses like this.

This is not a dump on Hoglander, who I'm quite bullish on. Like, there was a stickhandling keep-away sequence posted here a few days ago from one of his recent games was absolutely insane - didn't lead to a goal but was all over the offensive zone for about 15 seconds, and it to me was 100x more impressive (and projectable) that seeing this goal scored yet again.

Like, it seems like we see one of these lacrosse goals every week (and Svechnikov scored one in the NHL last night) and every time it happens, everyone is like OMG GOAL OF THE YEAR! when it's essentially a party trick that most skilled NHLers can do now. And Hoglander scored on this same move last year, so it isn't even something new. He made a nice move to spin away from a defender just before which makes it better than most of these, but ... meh, at this point. I was blown away when Mike Legg did this 20 years ago, but at this point it's basically a trick we see all the time that doesn't even really feel like a hockey play. If you feel differently, fair enough.

I get what your saying if a junior player does it with a lot of time and space, but doing it in the SHL while making three dekes on a defenseman simultaneously pulling the move off, while the goalie is seeing it coming deserves more respect than lumping it in with the others. It's literally the nicest michigan style goal of all time

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
So you still don't understand why I was right about Biega and Gaunce and why constantly bringing it up makes you look dumb, eh?
No i do not understand how you were right about Gaunce and biega. Guess I’m a dummy for believing they are AHL players

Reactions: DL44

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I just can't see how those sick puck-skills by Hoglander won't translate to the NHL some day.....there's been a knock on his skating, but from what I've seen of the SHL highlights, he gets around the ice just fine.

Hope they can at least get him into the Utica lineup next season....if he can hold his own in a full men's professional league as a teenager in Sweden, he should be able to transition to the AHL at least.

Reactions: Bertuzzzi44

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
I only saw one reference and was made in jest. I thought it was pretty funny tbh.
It's pretty common. Anytime that poster mentions not liking something Gaunce or Biega is brought up.

The rich part of it is that sting101 was a Granlund truther who had him as a 55 point player and said he projects to be "our Mikael Backlund", but nobody brings that up every time they disagree with him on.

Imagine trying to "dunk" on someone for valuing cheap roster depth while having that opinion on here for all to read. :D:popcorn:

Reactions: TraderJim

Numba9

Oct 3, 2011
New Westminster, BC
It's pretty common. Anytime that poster mentions not liking something Gaunce or Biega is brought up.

The rich part of it is that sting101 was a Granlund truther who had him as a 55 point player and said he projects to be "our Mikael Backlund", but nobody brings that up every time they disagree with him on.

Imagine trying to "dunk" on someone for valuing cheap roster depth while having that opinion on here for all to read. :D:popcorn:
I think the difference is that sting101 would probably agree that he was wrong. I have a feeling that if Biega and Gaunce retire as AHL players, that MS will just point to how stupid NHL GMs are.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
No i do not understand how you were right about Gaunce and biega. Guess I’m a dummy for believing they are AHL players

The last time you brought this up, you ended up admitting that Biega was a better player than Gudbranson. You don’t see how me arguing that a $700k better player should be in the lineup over a $4 million worse player was correct?

And in a capped league, you don’t see how saving $5 million last year by dressing Biega and Gaunce over Gudbranson and Schaller might have been a good idea?

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
The last time you brought this up, you ended up admitting that Biega was a better player than Gudbranson. You don’t see how me arguing that a $700k better player should be in the lineup over a $4 million worse player was correct?

And in a capped league, you don’t see how saving $5 million last year by dressing Biega and Gaunce over Gudbranson and Schaller might have been a good idea?
I don't think anyone's objecting to the idea that he may be better than Gudbranson. It's your claim that he's equivalent to or better than Myers that people find absurd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad