Prospect Info: #40OA - Hurricanes select RHD Scott Morrow

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
My point is if Hartford doesn’t even have a radio station that covers Fairfield County, then maybe Fairfield County was never part of the greater Hartford area?

Using state boundaries for team rights is just as arbitrary. Should Philadelphia suburbs in NJ not be considered part of the Philadelphia area?
Well why would Hartford’s reach be limited to the greater Hartford area? It’s a small enough state as it is, everyone can get to the middle of the state easily enough. Are the Canes limited to the Raleigh/Durham area for tv access?

If Fairfield had been part of their territory I’m sure a local radio station could pick up the feed from Hartford. I would think agreements to limit cable would also include radio so I guess I don’t understand what we’re talking about here. I’m sure the team would’ve liked to have been broadcast on the radio in Fairfield county as well.

I’m missing the point I guess. The team I’m sure did everything it could to be on the radio everywhere it could. I doubt they intentionally avoided Fairfield County.

Using state lines as a boundary doesn’t really feel arbitrary to me. Of course you can cross those lines if the state you’re going into doesn’t have a team and wants to be part of your teams area. If teams want to cross that boundary I’d say it’s fine as long as the state next to you that has a team is ok with it happening and presumably it goes in both directions - and that one team isn’t blocked in parts of it’s own state.

The issue isn’t that the Rangers were shown in western CT, it’s that the Whale was blocked and of course also not shown on the NY side of the border either. If you’re going to knock down the boundary make it fair for everyone.

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
I live on the coast of Va now (lived in NC for many years) and I am still closer to Raleigh than DC. I never liked the caps or felt an affection to them and they are further away yet my regional team is the caps because I am in VA. Its an hour and a half further to dc than raleigh. Yet teh caps are supposed to be "my team".

Reactions: cptjeff

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Well why would Hartford’s reach be limited to the greater Hartford area? It’s a small enough state as it is, everyone can get to the middle of the state easily enough. Are the Canes limited to the Raleigh/Durham area for tv access?

If Fairfield had been part of their territory I’m sure a local radio station could pick up the feed from Hartford. I would think agreements to limit cable would also include radio so I guess I don’t understand what we’re talking about here. I’m sure the team would’ve liked to have been broadcast on the radio in Fairfield county as well.

I’m missing the point I guess. The team I’m sure did everything it could to be on the radio everywhere it could. I doubt they intentionally avoided Fairfield County.

Using state lines as a boundary doesn’t really feel arbitrary to me. Of course you can cross those lines if the state you’re going into doesn’t have a team and wants to be part of your teams area. If teams want to cross that boundary I’d say it’s fine as long as the state next to you that has a team is ok with it happening and presumably it goes in both directions - and that one team isn’t blocked in parts of it’s own state.

The issue isn’t that the Rangers were shown in western CT, it’s that the Whale was blocked and of course also not shown on the NY side of the border either. If you’re going to knock down the boundary make it fair for everyone.
Now you’re getting into the argument of “home region” and blackouts as well as coverage. The NHL, like other sports, defines home regions for each sport. You can argue what should be home region for NYC vs Hartford, but I have no doubt that Greenwich and Stanford should be NYC territory based on proximity and where people who live there work and frequent.

My point is that the concept of radio broadcast area predates and circumvents all of that, and the fact Hartford didn’t have a station that reaches Fairfield County says something about how much Fairfield County cared about Hartford in general.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Now you’re getting into the argument of “home region” and blackouts as well as coverage. The NHL, like other sports, defines home regions for each sport. You can argue what should be home region for NYC vs Hartford, but I have no doubt that Greenwich and Stanford should be NYC territory based on proximity and where people who live there work and frequent.

My point is that the concept of radio broadcast area predates and circumvents all of that, and the fact Hartford didn’t have a station that reaches Fairfield County says something about how much Fairfield County cared about Hartford in general.
I guess I’m still not seeing the point. You could watch Rangers games in Hartford. You couldn’t watch Whaler games in Stamford or anywhere on that side of the state. That does not make sense. That’s favoritism that was league approved and obvious. Trying to make the argument based on radio coverage is about as much of a reach as you can go for - but I respect your willingness to make the argument. I don’t really have any emotion tied to this, I don’t think a single NC based Canes fan would disagree if it was happening to them down there. It’s funny to me anyone would argue that it’s not at the very least interesting that it was that way.

It would’ve been fine if they allowed both teams to be broadcast and people could make a choice - just like anyone in the rest of the state could watch Rangers and Bruins games as well as their home team. They blocked only the Whalers games in that part of the state, despite the opposite not happening anywhere in the state. That’s an obvious discrepancy.

I’m gonna move on here. I hope Scotty makes it, he’s had obvious defensive issues but over the top obvious offensive skill.

Last edited:

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Is this still the Scott Morrow thread?
1699066105403.png

in HF26

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Anyone know how the rules on this work? College players obviously sign and join after the deadline pretty often, but for the life of me I can't figure out where in the CBA it spells out how that works.
How what works exactly? Signing a college player? Joining the roster?

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Anyone know how the rules on this work? College players obviously sign and join after the deadline pretty often, but for the life of me I can't figure out where in the CBA it spells out how that works.
1) Their college seasons are ending so they can into NHL without making themselves ineligible to play in NCAA in middle of their season.
2) If the player is senior the teams are kind of eager to sign them before their right expire on August 16 and they become draft-related UFA.
3) They are generally 20 or older so they don't qualify for ELC Slide but are still subject to the Entry-Level System rules. So, the teams can make it sweet for them to sign instead of going draft-related UFA (or instead of returning to college for another season) by signing the player for the on-going season already and thusly allowing him to burn a year off their ELC by playing a game.

Case-study Morrow: he's 21 for the ELC purposes, so subject to 3 year ELC. If we sign him now and play him this spring, he will have served year 1 of his ELC this spring, and after playing 2 seasons more he will (assumably) get a better-paying post-ELC contract a year earlier than he would otherwise.

The ELC Slide rules are in CBA 9.1 (d).

edit: some reading: Gear: Why it’s risky for college players to burn entry-level contract years

Last edited:

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
He probably needs a year in the minors to refine his defensive game, but it’s now or never in terms of him signing with the Canes. He has to be aware of the defensive openings the Canes will have next year.

There’s a spot for him to potentially earn on a perennially good team. If he doesn’t sign in the near future, then yeah, time to trade them rights while they’re still worth something.

The fact they didn’t trade his rights, which I expected them to, at the deadline makes me cautiously optimistic he’ll sign soon enough. Also, he’d probably have the opportunity to burn that first ELC year by signing in the next couple of days. That’s a good way to make bank a lot sooner than going back to school. The Canes front office probably doesn’t like that option, but whatever, get the guy under contract and deal with 2years of ELC vs 3 later.

Adding some unrealistic expectations pulled from just one game - he looked awesome in yesterday’s tournament game. Made things happen offensively and mostly responsible defensively too. I see a whole lot of Dougie Hamilton in his game, with much better skating…

Last edited:

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
I agree that we need to sign him now, and if he doesn’t sign he didn’t want to play with us. Which would be annoying, and mean he should’ve been in the Jake trade.

Whether he’s actually ready or not we need to get it done or trade him this summer.
Well we don’t know that PIT even wanted him, I know his name was in some rumors but we don’t have a clue where that was coming from. If he doesn’t sign now I think we could still get some good assets for him in a trade. Objectively, he’d be an absolute fool not to sign. Incredible opportunity at RHD here going forward and for a perennial contender and 1 more year of making legit $.

I agree that we need to sign him now, and if he doesn’t sign he didn’t want to play with us. Which would be annoying, and mean he should’ve been in the Jake trade.

Whether he’s actually ready or not we need to get it done or trade him this summer.
Well we don’t know that PIT even wanted him, I know his name was in some rumors but we don’t have a clue where that was coming from. If he doesn’t sign now I think we could still get some good assets for him in a trade. Objectively, he’d be an absolute fool not to sign. Incredible opportunity at RHD here going forward and for a perennial contender and 1 more year of making legit $.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
He probably needs a year in the minors to refine his defensive game, but it’s now or never in terms of him signing with the Canes. He has to be aware of the defensive openings the Canes will have next year.

There’s a spot for him to potentially earn on a perennially good team. If he doesn’t sign in the near future, then yeah, time to trade them rights while they’re still worth something.

The fact they didn’t trade his rights, which I expected them to, at the deadline makes me cautiously optimistic he’ll sign soon enough. Also, he’d probably have the opportunity to burn that first ELC year by signing in the next couple of days. That’s a good way to make bank a lot sooner than going back to school. The Canes front office probably doesn’t like that option, but whatever, get the guy under contract and deal with 2years of ELC vs 3 later.

Adding some unrealistic expectations pulled from just one game - he looked awesome in yesterday’s tournament game. Made things happen offensively and mostly responsible defensively too. I see a whole lot of Dougie Hamilton in his game, with much better skating…
Visually he’s very Dougie like. Same posture. Tall and upright, same short stick and plays in his feet the same way. Very much reminds me of a young Dougie minus the brain. The brain is going to be everything with Morrow.

Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site

Well he’d have a much better chance with the Pens to be honest. They’d overlook his flaws more in the desperate need for young defense with offensive flair that team likes.

I don’t think the opportunity with us is as good to be honest. I don’t think the team sees the holes in the lineup the way we do. They think they can money puck defenseman.

This is not a Rod player we’re talking about. Tony is a better defensive minded defenseman than Morrow at this point. This is legitimately similar to Hanifin playing for us when he was 19.

He may not have gone in the trade because Dubas was also skeptical about getting him signed.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL

Mercuri reportedly played very well yesterday too....I wonder if Canes will sign him to an ELC too?

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Well he’d have a much better chance with the Pens to be honest. They’d overlook his flaws more in the desperate need for young defense with offensive flair that team likes.

I don’t think the opportunity with us is as good to be honest. I don’t think the team sees the holes in the lineup the way we do. They think they can money puck defenseman.

This is not a Rod player we’re talking about. Tony is a better defensive minded defenseman than Morrow at this point. This is legitimately similar to Hanifin playing for us when he was 19.

He may not have gone in the trade because Dubas was also skeptical about getting him signed.
Well I think it's pretty clear the team holds him in high regard and we drafted his profile with our first pick that draft for a reason. Is this a case of Rod and the front office not being on the same page and a sign of internal conflicts? I doubt it based on what we know about all involved. Or maybe Rod also likes the player and is prepared to work with him through any potential struggles. Not much of a risk at all on a team like ours to play him on the 3rd pair as soon as next season. He won't keep us from winning games and making the playoffs. If he struggles, grab a 3rd pair rental at the deadline for playoffs. Really not that big a deal.

And frankly you're the only one I've seen with this low of an opinion of him defensively. I've watched him a bit being local to UMass -- haven't watched every game or broken down his game or anything nor do I claim to be an expert, but I don't see the flaws like you do. He has a lot of work to do, of course, but I think he'd step into our lineup and be better overall than, say, Bean was for us a few years ago. And Rod played Bean for most of that season and all of the playoffs.

His potential is sky high and worth having patience for.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad