Post-Game Talk: 40 years in the Wilderness: Caps @ Wild 8:07pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I go home 3 or 4 times a year. My family still owns dad's tix so I go every time I'm home during the hockey season.

I do also try to go when the Caps are in San Jose.

If you ever decide to go to DC for a game, let me know. Our family seats are GOAT so maybe I can help you out.

Thanks, I'll send you a message when the time comes.

Changing the subject, but I've seen a ton of people sporting Caps gear here in Montreal lately. With the Habs falling apart, people start hopping on bandwagons.

Todos a la Calle

Mar 30, 2015
Mexico City
We didn't go full mobile, we went full terrible. Morrissonnnnnn, Jurcina, Erskine and Schultz could barely put one foot in front of the other.

He talked a lot about mobile defensemen but curiously never actualy put them on the ice.

But what about Brian Pothier? Jack Hillen?

Ben Clymer? Brian Muir?

Steve Eminger?

:help:

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
To be fair, McPhee left behind two thirds of the team's current defense. And it's possible that most or all of Carlson, Alzner, Schmidt, and Orlov will be here for quite a while longer.

Todos a la Calle

Mar 30, 2015
Mexico City
To be fair, McPhee left behind two thirds of the team's current defense. And it's possible that most or all of Carlson, Alzner, Schmidt, and Orlov will be here for quite a while longer.

MacLellan seems so much more confident as a GM (and evaluator of talent) than GMGM was. McPhee got some good players in free agency, and especially the draft, but he never had a cohesive vision of what it was exactly that the team needed. It was more adding a piece here, a piece there, a bit of tinkering ... it felt like he was always tentative and too worried about protecting assets and avoiding risks. And then when he did take risks, we ended up with results like the Erat trade and the Laich contract. (And Pothier instead of Chara when we desperately needed experience on the back end)

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Thanks. Yeah. Like 500 people showed up for my dad's funeral. We had told the funeral home director that it would be a huge crowd, and they were like, yeah yeah... I'm sure they hear it a lot. So when the day came, they were totally stunned. They had people standing out front in the snow 'cause they couldn't get in. There were 2 or 3 packed overflow rooms and a huge crowd in the foyer. They piped the audio all over the building and even out to the driveway. It was nuts.

That's a mark of a man who lived a rich life.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Our offer wasn't close to fair value. There wasnt much of a choice for him to make. We chose to make a competitive offer to Pothier instead. Don't care to dig up the link. Spilt milk.

Point is Pothier wasn't the reason they didn't sign Chara. He was their fallback plan after Chara turned them down. Whatever their ceiling was with respect to what they felt they could offer Chara had absolutely nothing to do with Pothier.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jun 15, 2007
Every team regrets not giving Chara that contract. Honestly, looking at the past 11 years how many UFA defenseman signings have worked out well? Two: Chara and Suter. Every other signing has been a bust.

Can't really blame Mcphee on that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad