Post-Game Talk: 40 years in the Wilderness: Caps @ Wild 8:07pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
That was the most entertaining Minnesota game in 25 years.... flashing back to Alan May manhandling Basil McCrae for taking liberties with Dino. One of my favorite regular season games.

Yeah the liberties against our stars needs to end quick.

Since I can't find the May tube, here is McPhee Tocchet with a Hanlon Chicken Dance warm up at the end.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
That was the most entertaining Minnesota game in 25 years.... flashing back to Alan May manhandling Basil McCrae for taking liberties with Dino. One of my favorite regular season games.

Yeah the liberties against our stars needs to end quick.

Since I can't find the May tube, here is McPhee Tocchet with a Hanlon Chicken Dance warm up at the end.

McPhee - one tough hombre. I recall when some lug on one of the many teams Andrew Brunette played on took liberties with a Caps skill guy. At the next face-off, Brunette was unlucky enough to be standing next to Steve Konowalchuk - who proceeded to absolutely maul Brunette as soon as the puck dropped. The message that your offensive guys would be held accountable if our skill guys were messed with was clearly conveyed.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Between Joe Q's meltdown this past week and Parise grabbing hold of Holtby's pad, I hope the review of goalie interference calls will be made in the Toronto war room and not by the on ice officials pretty soon, at least come the playoffs.

Haven't yet attended a Caps game this season but will have a few coming up beginning with the Wild at the VC in two weeks. I think Zach Sill should get another call up for that match.

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009
Between Joe Q's meltdown this past week and Parise grabbing hold of Holtby's pad, I hope the review of goalie interference calls will be made in the Toronto war room and not by the on ice officials pretty soon, at least come the playoffs.

Haven't yet attended a Caps game this season but will have a few coming up beginning with the Wild at the VC in two weeks. I think Zach Sill should get another call up for that match.
Joe's point of there being no consistency is correct, but the call that brought it on was the right call. Not even that weak of no goal either.

I don't think it really matters who does the review. It's still going to be the NHL, and they'll still screw it up. The embarrassing part about last night was what they tried to pass off as a review. That had all the makings of quickly going through the motions to get out of the building.

Last edited:

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009
The Burakovsky point streak is over. If Kuzy doesn't play next game, MJ will fill in at #2C, and we will have the same depth issue all over again.
Down 2 C's if Kuzy is out at this point, and Latta and/or Sill are serviceable at 4C. Not ideal, but not close to depth issues.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
oh...forgot. I watched on the wild cast(koken avoidance). did the caps cast have Williams clear as day yelling "Get the F*&^ out!!" after he got his first penalty? Neither of the Wild guys were talking and it was clear as day.

strungout

Professional Killer
Jul 1, 2002
North Carolina
oh...forgot. I watched on the wild cast(koken avoidance). did the caps cast have Williams clear as day yelling "Get the F*&^ out!!" after he got his first penalty? Neither of the Wild guys were talking and it was clear as day.
Yep.

They even blurred it on the NHL Network highlights.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
it was hilarious. then they had Williams on camera when he discovered that he was getting the only penalty after the Burt crosschecking thing.

I was fixing dinner during that sequence and listening to Walton. He described how angry Williams was. Wish I'd had my Minny feed going tho.

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
McPhee - one tough hombre. I recall when some lug on one of the many teams Andrew Brunette played on took liberties with a Caps skill guy. At the next face-off, Brunette was unlucky enough to be standing next to Steve Konowalchuk - who proceeded to absolutely maul Brunette as soon as the puck dropped. The message that your offensive guys would be held accountable if our skill guys were messed with was clearly conveyed.

It always confused me how tough a player GMGM was and what soft teams he built. Head scratcher to be sure...

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
It always confused me how tough a player GMGM was and what soft teams he built. Head scratcher to be sure...

Dale's team was totally passive. Against his player personality. McPhee was right that the league was moving toward defensemen that had to be able to skate. He took it too far.

I remember when McPhee went full mobile the Flyers at the same time were crippled with a defense full of pylons. He just didn't recognize they still needed toughess.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
Dale's team was totally passive. Against his player personality. McPhee was right that the league was moving toward defensemen that had to be able to skate. He took it too far.

I remember when McPhee went full mobile the Flyers at the same time were crippled with a defense full of pylons. He just didn't recognize they still needed toughess.

We didn't go full mobile, we went full terrible. Morrissonnnnnn, Jurcina, Erskine and Schultz could barely put one foot in front of the other.

He talked a lot about mobile defensemen but curiously never actualy put them on the ice.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Just weird reffing in that one. That BS situation with Williams should have been even up and they started to lose control there. Laich got interfered with in the 1st where a player purposefully changed his course to block him from getting on the puck carrier. I didn't mind the cross check stuff I mean that was basically playoff non-call stuff so better to get used to it.

Ice seemed really weird last night I wonder if it was too dry/low humidity.

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
I don't know how I forgot him. There was that one poster who wrote paragraphs about him every day.

Yeah, add him to the list of McPhee mobile defensemen.

You had to be either big and soft or mobile and soft to play for the Caps during his tenure...Carlzner were his only real defenders and they were waaay to young to form a Stanley Cup core. Green as well for a time but to have him skating top pairing minutes in the playoffs was yet another way to exclude the team from true contender status. Looking back he got us sooo many good players- wild that he couldn't see to adding the final ingredients. D and coaching being the most obvious culprits as well as 2C.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad