40 years ago there was a hockey game played in North Elba, New York

Mandar

The Real Maven
Sep 27, 2013
The Tarheel State
if it does i'm guessing it would be in the NCAA, which i don't follow.

i probably was left most speechless when detroit beat the lakers in the 2004 finals. but that was a full series, without a single moment like the eruzione goal to pinpoint.

but man that was a sweet to watch, that shaq/kobe/mailman/glove superteam beaten convincingly by the hardworking group of rasheed wallace, three castoffs, and one of my favourite glue guys ever, tayshaun prince.
I think that the 1972 Olympics USSR win over the USA basketball team has to be up there in the tremendous upsets of all time (yes, there is very much controversy about the finish).

The USA had won every Olympic basketball gold ever....and mostly no games were ever close. Honestly, this would be comparable to the 1980 Miracle on Ice. Anyone have any more stats about how improbable that 1972 USSR win was?

This game is a very touchy subject because of the way it ended (the USA team was certainly denied of victory by numerous egregious decisions), but the outcome was one of the greatest upsets in sports history.

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
In the 1972 Olympics the US Team won Silver, shocking
Czechoslovakia. NBC didn't even show the Medal Ceremony...lol. In fact I believe they only showed
parts of the Sweden and USSR game and maybe
highlights of the Czech upset. That how much they
valued hockey...lol.

Still have never found video of the 1972 US Hockey
Team in Sapporo.

For some reason, American teams gave Czechoslovakia big troubles sometimes; they were upset by USA at the 1971 World Championship (although easily 'redeemed themselves' later in the second game), and had to settle for a draw at the 1976 Canada Cup. The otherwise brilliant goalie Jiri Holecek played some true clunkers against North American teams.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
If they are in a vacuum nobody wins. They are all dead within minutes <rimshot>.
I think that the 1972 Olympics USSR win over the USA basketball team has to be up there in the tremendous upsets of all time (yes, there is very much controversy about the finish).

The USA had won every Olympic basketball gold ever....and mostly no games were ever close. Honestly, this would be comparable to the 1980 Miracle on Ice. Anyone have any more stats about how improbable that 1972 USSR win was?

This game is a very touchy subject because of the way it ended (the USA team was certainly denied of victory by numerous egregious decisions), but the outcome was one of the greatest upsets in sports history.

I was a Sr. in HS in the Boston area when that game was played. There were a lot of pissed off US fans afterwards.

However you beat NCAA players not the NBA stars, so its
not on the same level.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007

good point. olympic basketball has had some momentous upsets too.

first one that comes to mind is argentina over the US in 2004. that team had peak duncan and AI, plus rookie lebron, rookie d-wade, rookie carmelo, and larry brown coming off coaching the pistons to their upset title.

the more miracle-y one is probably lithunia over the former soviet union in 1992 to take the bronze medal, though as far as i know it wasn't a huge upset being that lithuania had two hall of famers.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Here is the question. Does Herb Brooks get as much credit as he deserves for this?

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Does the "Upset" need to ultimately end in a championship for the underdog? Because Pats beating St. Louis and losing to the Giants in the SB were both major upsets. If not, maybe Columbus spanking Tampa in a four game sweep.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Does the "Upset" need to ultimately end in a championship for the underdog? Because Pats beating St. Louis and losing to the Giants in the SB were both major upsets. If not, maybe Columbus spanking Tampa in a four game sweep.

I don't think any of the big three upsets in Super Bowl history is better than the Miracle on Ice. For my money, those Super Bowl upsets are Jets over Colts in SB3, Pats over Rams in SB36 and then of course the Giants upsetting a perfect season for New England. All of those other teams were still professional football teams who either won their conference or league (AFL Jets). The Miracle On Ice followed up a year after the same Soviet team spanked the NHL All-Stars. I don't think there is a miracle so much without that thrashing. It certainly helped.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
I don't think any of the big three upsets in Super Bowl history is better than the Miracle on Ice. For my money, those Super Bowl upsets are Jets over Colts in SB3, Pats over Rams in SB36 and then of course the Giants upsetting a perfect season for New England. All of those other teams were still professional football teams who either won their conference or league (AFL Jets). The Miracle On Ice followed up a year after the same Soviet team spanked the NHL All-Stars. I don't think there is a miracle so much without that thrashing. It certainly helped.

True. It was amateurs against pros. It would be like Alabama beating an NFL team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad