40 years ago there was a hockey game played in North Elba, New York

Pucker Factor 10

Serious guy who doesn't take things too seriously
Oct 26, 2019
The Frozen Tundra of Nanook
wonderful summary...and not to be picky, but:

- Johnson's goal was with one second left in the first period (not second)
- Tikhonov pulled Tretiak after the first period (not after the second period)

Not picky at all. I had a original draft that I modified and didn't adjust that. Thanks for pointing that out. Now edited and corrected.

Reactions: Mandar

Pucker Factor 10

Serious guy who doesn't take things too seriously
Oct 26, 2019
The Frozen Tundra of Nanook
If they played 100 games USSR probably wins 99 times. Truly was a miracle, and at the height of the Cold War tensions, just a legendary moment. But yes, its a good thing USA managed to beat Finland for the gold. Would have really put a damper on it.

All very true. And just think, Finland didn't even get a bronze medal out of the deal because of the convoluted round-robin tournament format they had back then.

CTHabsfan

Jul 28, 2007
isn't it true this game wasn't even aired live, but on tape delay?

:huh:
That is true, it was tape delayed. I can't remember whether I was aware of that or not while watching, but I do know that I was not aware of the outcome while I was watching. You could never get away with that now, thanks to the internet and 24-hour sports TV & radio.

RalphKing

Mar 28, 2017
I don’t know that it was. Leicester, although underdogs to win the league to an unthinkable point, were still professional footballers playing at the top level. The miracle saw a group of amateurs beat one of the greatest hockey teams of all time.
It's the 1 game factor that is less impressive imho. Hockey is a sport where upsets happen all the time.

tailgunner

Jan 8, 2008
don't mean to be a debbie downer it was a great achievement, but let's face it, in hockey the better team is the one that wins a 7 game series, if the miracle on ice was a 7 game series and USA wins the first game 4-3 like they did what do they think would of happened in games 2 3 4 5 ? The Rangers in 1979 beat one of the greatest Montreal dynasties of all time in game 1 of the 1979 Finals but then got hammered in Games 2 3 4 5

CTHabsfan

Jul 28, 2007
It's the 1 game factor that is less impressive imho. Hockey is a sport where upsets happen all the time.

Upsets didn't happen to Soviet Union hockey team. They had won the last four Olympic titles, didn't lose to amateurs and frequently defeated NHL teams. That's why their losing to a bunch of college kids, even if it was just one game, was such a big deal.

Reactions: Pucker Factor 10

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
let's face it, in hockey the better team is the one that wins a 7 game series

When did this get handed down on stone tablets? Isn't it just as valid to say "the better team is the one that proves it over a full season", and therefore the Presidents Trophy winner should be considered the best?

Reactions: Fenway

RalphKing

Mar 28, 2017
When did this get handed down on stone tablets? Isn't it just as valid to say "the better team is the one that proves it over a full season", and therefore the Presidents Trophy winner should be considered the best?
It's 1 game 40 years ago that counts. Read the thread

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
My Dad still talks about it here in Canada. America got slaughtered 10-3 in exhibition by the Red Army and no one thought they had a chance, truly a “miracle on ice”.

Kuhta

Dec 8, 2006
Helsinki
Greatest upset in sports history?

That claim is the most ridiculous thing I have heard in a long time. One game in a fairly marginal sport.

Hockey is my thing but this kind of statement is out of place.

kingsholygrail

Fastest Series Loss 0-1
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
don't mean to be a debbie downer it was a great achievement, but let's face it, in hockey the better team is the one that wins a 7 game series, if the miracle on ice was a 7 game series and USA wins the first game 4-3 like they did what do they think would of happened in games 2 3 4 5 ? The Rangers in 1979 beat one of the greatest Montreal dynasties of all time in game 1 of the 1979 Finals but then got hammered in Games 2 3 4 5
So this is an indictment against the Olympics as being a measure of success for sports teams?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad