40 years ago there was a hockey game played in North Elba, New York

HockeyMomx2

Extra Medium Water, Hold The Pickles
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2008
The Most Beautiful Place In The World
don't mean to be a debbie downer it was a great achievement, but let's face it, in hockey the better team is the one that wins a 7 game series, if the miracle on ice was a 7 game series and USA wins the first game 4-3 like they did what do they think would of happened in games 2 3 4 5 ? The Rangers in 1979 beat one of the greatest Montreal dynasties of all time in game 1 of the 1979 Finals but then got hammered in Games 2 3 4 5
When were you born? The fact that a bunch of college kids beat a professional Russian team that trained year round, on the government's dime, was the biggest reason why it was so unlikely those kids would win. The USA at that time still sent ALL amateur athletes to the Olympics. Not the professionals you see today.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Greatest upset in sports history?

That claim is the most ridiculous thing I have heard in a long time. One game in a fairly marginal sport.

Hockey is my thing but this kind of statement is out of place.
Hockey is a distant 4th in American pro sports, but the Miracle on Ice was a transcendent moment that rose above the sport. Americans didn't care that it was hockey, we cared that we upset the Soviets in their own game.

JerseyMike34

Dec 29, 2017
The reason this was so big, is that it was basically a big ol F U to Russia in the democracy vs communism/cold war era.

[MOD: No politics.]

This is also just a big deal in the USA, that being said, it had a lasting effect and a big deal to do with Hockey in the US market...

Overall, biggest upset IMO...
Belarus over Sweden in the 2002 Olympics is a bigger upset.

Last edited by a moderator:

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
Upsets didn't happen to Soviet Union hockey team. They had won the last four Olympic titles, didn't lose to amateurs and frequently defeated NHL teams. That's why their losing to a bunch of college kids, even if it was just one game, was such a big deal.

Upsets did happen to the Soviets, just not frequently. They lost to Poland at the 1976 World Championships for example, which is arguably as big as losing to the Americans, though the Miracle game was definitely a huge deal, especially with the political considerations involved.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
Few years ago, ESPN did a great 30 for 30 that looked at this game from the other side from the Soviet players POV called 'Of Miracles and Men'

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I went to that game by sheer fluke luck.

My GF got tickets for the 5 PM game a full month before, the evening game was sold out and I thought there was no chance we would see the US play because I had doubts they would be in the medal round to begin with and if they were I was certain ABC would slot them in prime time - wrong on both counts. :laugh:

The Soviets wanted the game early in the afternoon so it could be seen at a reasonable hour on Russian TV - well they saw it :)

This is the Soviet broadcast

I had actually been to Lake Placid early in the Olympics as TV38 was hired by ABC to cover some of the early rounds at what they called the 1932 Arena and the USA/Norway game was played there.

The games in the 1980 arena were produced by CFCF-TV (CTV) out of Montreal as ABC had no experience doing hockey.

If you look at the 1980 announcer assignments ABC had given a low profile to hockey and a young baseball announcer named Al Michaels got the gig :)

How did that work out for him? :laugh:

upload_2019-2-24_4-7-39-png.191145

So that Friday morning we drove to Lake Placid and all the way up Anne was saying ' We are going to win ' and I am praying it won't be 12-1 Russia.

Lake Placid was a logistical nightmare for traffic. Somehow the organizers overlooked that Montreal was only 100 miles away and many Americans ( including us ) had to book hotel rooms in Montreal because there was nothing in Lake Placid but you still had to try and drive into the area.

The game itself is a blur in my memory - it seemed like the teams would play end to end for minutes and then you look at the clock and only 40 seconds elapsed. I could not believe what I was seeing. I had seen a Russian team in person 3 times before - in Montreal 1972 and twice at Boston Garden including Bobby Orr retirement night. I had never seen them lose. Throw in that the year before the Russians played the NHL in a 3 game series in New York - The NHL won the first game and the Russians won Game 2. The deciding game was a disaster for North American hockey as the Russians won 6-0.

Annie was willing to barter the tickets she had for the Women's Figuring Skating Final on Saturday for the final US hockey game but NOBODY was selling those.

Brooks' greatest dressing room speech was not the 'You were born for this' speech you see in the movie Miracle - it came 2 days later when the US was struggling against Finland. He said ' If you lose this game, you will take it to your grave - YOUR f*ckING GRAVE ' :)

USA-FINLAND 2/24/1980

99% of Americans watching the game had no clue the magnitude of the upset - only puckheads fully grasped it.

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
Upsets didn't happen to Soviet Union hockey team. They had won the last four Olympic titles, didn't lose to amateurs and frequently defeated NHL teams. That's why their losing to a bunch of college kids, even if it was just one game, was such a big deal.

Mmm, what?!

In 1968-1977, they frequently lost to Czechoslovakia, who also won the world championship in 1972, 1976 and 1977. Whether Czechoslovak players were 'amateurs', that's another thing. But USSR sometimes lost to Sweden, once in a blue moon to Finland (1971 Izvestia) and once even to Poland (what a scandal!) at the 1976 World Championship:

USSR had been very dominant in the 1978-79 season, though, I'll give you that much.

RalphKing

Mar 28, 2017
When were you born? The fact that a bunch of college kids beat a professional Russian team that trained year round, on the government's dime, was the biggest reason why it was so unlikely those kids would win. The USA at that time still sent ALL amateur athletes to the Olympics. Not the professionals you see today.
Every country sent amateurs to the Olympics back then. Those were the rules.

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland

The rule was that but there were different interpretations in different countries. Most Soviet players "worked" in the army and basically concentrated to their respective sports all year.

While Miracle on Ice is obviously a big and memorable event, it's a poor argument for "olympics should be for amateurs only" since the upset is because Soviet players were de facto professionals.

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh

the Soviets were professional hockey players who were drafted into the Red Army. Those guys played together for over a decade & beat the hell out of an NHL All Star team.

HockeyMomx2

Extra Medium Water, Hold The Pickles
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2008
The Most Beautiful Place In The World
Bahahahahahahahahaha if you think the USSR was sending amateurs you were clearly not alive and watching Olympics pre 90s,never mind in 1980. Everyone was NOT sending amateurs even tho that was the rule/premise.

Pucker Factor 10

Serious guy who doesn't take things too seriously
Oct 26, 2019
The Frozen Tundra of Nanook
I went to that game by sheer fluke luck.

My GF got tickets for the 5 PM game a full month before, the evening game was sold out and I thought there was no chance we would see the US play because I had doubts they would be in the medal round to begin with and if they were I was certain ABC would slot them in prime time - wrong on both counts. :laugh:

Lucky you. Nice!

Oh Nelly, lemme tell ya 'bout Keith Jackson!

99% of Americans watching the game had no clue the magnitude of the upset - only puckheads fully grasped it.

Yes indeed.

This was an excellent read. Thanks for sharing.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
the Soviets were professional hockey players who were drafted into the Red Army. Those guys played together for over a decade & beat the hell out of an NHL All Star team.

Not only inside the Red Army, the ones employed by the other clubs were de facto professionals too.

Pucker Factor 10

Serious guy who doesn't take things too seriously
Oct 26, 2019
The Frozen Tundra of Nanook
Bahahahahahahahahaha if you think the USSR was sending amateurs you were clearly not alive and watching Olympics pre 90s,never mind in 1980. Everyone was NOT sending amateurs even tho that was the rule/premise.

Ultimately, the impetus for the push of NHL players into the Olympics was exactly because it was so well and widely-known that the Soviet and later CIS players were absolutely pro in every sense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad