Post-Game Talk: #40| Senators at FLYERS | Tue., Jan. 6, 2015

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Yeah, but if they hadn't won 7 of their last 12 games they would have finished on 35 points and picked 1st or 2nd overall.

I believe that's how the logic goes. We look back after the season finishes and pick the point at which the Flyers coaches and players would have needed to deliberately thrown games to make sure they didn't pick up any more points. Then we cry about how dumb they were for not doing that.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
We look back after the season finishes and pick the point at which the Flyers coaches and players would have needed to deliberately thrown games to make sure they didn't pick up any more points. Then we cry about how dumb they were for not doing that.
that's not how it worked then
during that particular season and shortly thereafter, we were frustrated at the team for "underperforming" from Jan through March, and then lamented the fact that they put together a winning streak at the worst possible time. That was a can't-do-anything-right year overall.

I think most people recognized quite soon this season that they are not good

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I wanted Ristolainen, and would have freaked out if they took Morin ahead of him. He would have been even better because Ghost could have stayed on the left side.

Insulin

Jan 23, 2013
Atlantic City
Pretty funny picture

flyers-team-save.png

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
The Flyers won 6 of their last 7 that year which absolutely cost them Jones and even Drouin.

I agree the jury is still out on Jones but i would take him over Morin. I would also take Ristolainen over morin as well, which the Flyers lost out on by winning those games at the end of the year. I believe however that the Flyers had Morin over Ristolainen anyway which is actually a bit troubling IMO. Couple that with wanting Siemens over Hamilton according to rumors and the Flyers ability to identify defensemen does come into question.

It cost them Drouin/Jones only if you're imagining what would have happened if they lost all those games, instead. That's not exactly a reasonable thought experiment.

That team was a .500 team all year, so it's much more reasonable to ask what would have happened if they finished 3-3-1 over those seven of 2-2-0 over the last four.

That means they could have finished 7th or 8th. And from the Flyers very own drat board, that would have changed absolutely nothing. I'm sick of hearing about the Jones BS.

Funf

Sep 17, 2013
Philadelphia
Pretty funny picture

flyers-team-save.png

Even funnier is that most of this happened after Mason had already gloved it. :laugh:

Edit: Yeah, at the time of the 2013 draft I think most on this board realized we weren't getting Jones. I'm pretty sure there were even rumors that we were looking to trade up for him (like there are every year).

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Didn't homer have Monahan high as well? I thought he even made a joke about them having Morin or Monahan

I remember that from Flight Plan.

When his scouts were raving about Morin, Homer said, "Over Monahan?"

The scouts said something about Morin's ceiling being higher, and Homer wryly replied, "I think you're cracking under the pressure."

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Seth Jones?

Yes, Seth Jones. It's been a completely manufactured issue, and it only became a thing after Jones fell to #4 (ie, not even after the Flyers went on that winning streak). We were never in Seth Jones territory.

It's possible that we could have had Nurse or Ristolainen had we not won a couple games to end the year, but given what we know of our draft board, we would have still come away with Morin whether we picked 7th or 11th like we did.

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
I'm basing my opinion solely on the junior championship.

Nurse was pretty awesome. Hardly ever saw Morin on the ice

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Nah, the puck would be in the net if it summed up this season.

To sum up this season in a photo:
  • The puck would be in the net
  • Mason would be under an opponent Coburn pushed into him
  • Grossmann would be on the ice still wildly flailing at the puck
  • Rinaldo would be on the ice taking a penalty
  • Lecavalier would be at centre ice waiting for a pass
  • Del Zotto would be in his street clothes watching the game from the press booth

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
To sum up this season in a photo:
  • The puck would be in the net
  • Mason would be under an opponent Coburn pushed into him
  • Grossmann would be on the ice still wildly flailing at the puck
  • Rinaldo would be on the ice taking a penalty
  • Lecavalier would be at centre ice waiting for a pass
  • Del Zotto would be in his street clothes watching the game from the press booth

Berube would be smiling thinking how awesome his game plan was going..

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
LFyp0.gif

Shouldn't have won those last few games so we could pick Jones.

Shouldn't have traded JVR.

Cherry Hill native Bobby Ryan.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Mason was pretty much the driving factor behind the run they went on in 2013. The guy built up some confidence & here we are now. I'm at least glad a legit starting goalie came out of it but I'm a glass half full kind of guy.

MadFerIt95*

The best part about this game is that in some of the highlight videos I can see myself on the TV :laugh:

VanFlyer

Feb 18, 2007
The best part about this game is that in some of the highlight videos I can see myself on the TV :laugh:

I have a framed copy of the daly news full page photo when Hextall scored his first goal against the bruins. I was 4 rows directly behind the empty net. Good times!

kyuss

Wings make our ding-dings sing.
May 28, 2012
I have a framed copy of the daly news full page photo when Hextall scored his first goal against the bruins. I was 4 rows directly behind the empty net. Good times!

That's awesome. I'm in a Giroux shootout goal replay. Still looking for the remaining 14 minutes 53 seconds of fame I'm owed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad