40% of the season in - Which teams do you consider to be Top Stanley Cup Contenders?

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
The current core that's been knocked out of the first round in each of the last 4 years? Short term memory I guess.

You still haven’t answered my question lol.

Right let’s also forget how the defence has finally caught up to the offence in terms of quality and the offensive core isn’t the same.

Also using your logic, a team that loses in the playoffs in previous years has no chance of ever advancing in future seasons...lol wow what wonderful logic you have there.

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
It’s easy for you to say that. But what don’t you understand, I’m asking you how they could beat them?

Talk to me about actual players, talk to me about depth, why won’t you actually talk hockey? You seem to only want to talk in generalities which makes me question your actual hockey IQ.

Which team in the North has the depth to counter Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Tavares, Thornton, Spezza on the offensive side for example?

If you actually wanted to talk hockey you’d be open to actually arguing your reason as to which other North team you could see beating us in a 7 game series.

Get back to me when you’re willing to actually dive into the meat of the issues instead of vague generalities like...“Well uhh every team can beat every team uhh” cmon now, is this amateur hour on hfboards?

I think the Jets could beat them in a 7 game series. You've played the Jets once this season (no Laine or Dubois, with Niku+Stanley on D) and the score was only 3-1 with Marner getting the 3rd goal on an empty netter in the second game of the season. I'd say if Hellebyuck gets hot we have more than enough offensive depth with Scheifele, Wheeler, Connor, Ehlers, PLD, Stastny, Copp, Appleton, Lowry, and Perreault up front with Harkins/Vesalainen as call ups. Maurice has been running Nate Thompson and Trevor Lewis on the 4th line though.. which really kills our 4th line scoring depth. Pionk and Morrissey on the back end are underrated, Forbort is not bad as a steady defensive dman on the middle pairing. If we had another top 4 capable dman I'd be a lot more confident in our ability to do some damage, but for now the load rests primarily on Hellebyuck being in Vezina mode and our offense keeping the puck out of our zone where we struggle defensively.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
The improvement in the Leafs defence is the biggest story this year in my opinion. This is nothing like the Leafs defence in previous years.

The Leafs are 3rd overall in GA right now. The additions of Muzzin, Brodie, Bogosian and emergence of Holl has been huge. They also have 2 high end D prospects.

If they can get a Staal/Palmieri I think they are right there as a top contender.

Really can’t discount the veteran additions of Thornton and Simmonds as well, that experienced calm is something that has been sorely missing in the playoffs for the Leafs.

I think our goaltending depth is the deepest it’s been as well with the pickup of Jack Campbell and even Hutch getting wins.

Ultimately yes the playoffs will tell but Leafs are clear favourites in the North as of this moment.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
I think the Jets could beat them in a 7 game series. You've played the Jets once this season (no Laine or Dubois, with Niku+Stanley on D) and the score was only 3-1 with Marner getting the 3rd goal on an empty netter in the second game of the season. I'd say if Hellebyuck gets hot we have more than enough offensive depth with Scheifele, Wheeler, Connor, Ehlers, PLD, Stastny, Copp, Appleton, Lowry, and Perreault up front with Harkins/Vesalainen as call ups. Maurice has been running Nate Thompson and Trevor Lewis on the 4th line though.. which really kills our 4th line scoring depth. Pionk and Morrissey on the back end are underrated, Forbort is not bad as a steady defensive dman on the middle pairing. If we had another top 4 capable dman I'd be a lot more confident in our ability to do some damage, but for now the load rests primarily on Hellebyuck being in Vezina mode and our offense keeping the puck out of our zone where we struggle defensively.

Jets are rightfully in the 2nd seed, I just think the offensive depth you listed lacks a certain high end factor in comparison to what Toronto can counter with.

Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Tavares, Spezza, Thornton is an embarrassment of riches up front, man for man that would be a huge upset for the Jets to pull off.

On the defensive side Rielly, Muzzin, Brodie, Bogosian, Dermott, Holl is the easily the deepest it’s been in a long time and the play on ice really proves that, 2 of them have rings, Bogo as recently as last season with Tampa.

We’ll have to wait and see, but I think there is excitement around this Leafs team for good reason. With coach and Gm finally on the same page the results have spoken for themselves.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Why won’t you actually answer the question though? Which team do you see as capable of being the Leafs in a 7 game series in the North division.

Let’s actually talk hockey here.

Hard to say until after the trade deadline. A team like Edmonton lacks forward depth. Is that addressed before the TDL? A team like Winnipeg has the offense and certainly goaltending, but not the defense. Is that addressed before the TDL? Calgary is a more talented team than their record indicates, but can't seem to just gel and put it together. Do they finally put it together heading into the playoffs?

I think it's clear that Toronto's the head of the pack right now, but I'm not sure the gap is so large if those teams trailing them address their current weak spots, to say it's basically a foregone conclusion Toronto cruises through the North.

TopChedder

Oct 2, 2013
Hard to say until after the trade deadline. A team like Edmonton lacks forward depth. Is that addressed before the TDL? A team like Winnipeg has the offense and certainly goaltending, but not the defense. Is that addressed before the TDL? Calgary is a more talented team than their record indicates, but can't seem to just gel and put it together. Do they finally put it together heading into the playoffs?

I think it's clear that Toronto's the head of the pack right now, but I'm not sure the gap is so large if those teams trailing them address their current weak spots, to say it's basically a foregone conclusion Toronto cruises through the North.

Fair analysis. I also think the Leafs upgrade at the deadline as well. And we get Simmonds back in 2-3 weeks as well (he was a horse and finally healthy before getting hit with a shot)

This Leafs team is not the one teams will face in the playoffs.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Fair analysis. I also think the Leafs upgrade at the deadline as well. And we get Simmonds back in 2-3 weeks as well (he was a horse and finally healthy before getting hit with a shot)

This Leafs team is not the one teams will face in the playoffs.

True. Leafs team could very well be even better after the TDL than the one now. I'm just saying that the gap between the Leafs and some of their divisional opponents isn't so great that none of them have a realistic shot at beating the Leafs in a 7-game series, especially until we know what (if any) upgrades the teams in the division make.

I think every team I listed has a shot at beating the Leafs depending on a]what they do at the deadline and b]if they get hot at the right time. This isn't a case of the 1980's where the elite teams basically used the first 2 rounds of the playoffs as tune-ups by sweeping or only dropping one game, before facing the real competition in Round 3.

Reactions: TopChedder

TopChedder

Oct 2, 2013
True. Leafs team could very well be even better after the TDL than the one now. I'm just saying that the gap between the Leafs and some of their divisional opponents isn't so great that none of them have a realistic shot at beating the Leafs in a 7-game series, especially until we know what (if any) upgrades the teams in the division make.

I think every team I listed has a shot at beating the Leafs depending on a]what they do at the deadline and b]if they get hot at the right time. This isn't a case of the 1980's where the elite teams basically used the first 2 rounds of the playoffs as tune-ups by sweeping or only dropping one game, before facing the real competition in Round 3.

Well put. I also agree. I do think the Leafs will make it out, but I can also see what you are saying. It's definitely not out of the realm of possibility.

This is also the NHL and not the NBA so I can see a team hitting it's stride at the right time and upsetting anybody.

I think we had a convo before about cup favorites, and we discussed Washington and Pitts, I think Pitts could be one of those stride type teams if they get on a roll at the right time.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Largely agree with the teams in the OP
Crazy that Toronto can basically be considered a contender again after all these years

Reactions: BlueMed

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Well put. I also agree. I do think the Leafs will make it out, but I can also see what you are saying. It's definitely not out of the realm of possibility.

This is also the NHL and not the NBA so I can see a team hitting it's stride at the right time and upsetting anybody.

I think we had a convo before about cup favorites, and we discussed Washington and Pitts, I think Pitts could be one of those stride type teams if they get on a roll at the right time.

Yeah, that's the nature of sports and how getting hot at the right time often times supersedes being great overall.

I thought the Pens were going to steamroll in 2013, especially after acquiring Iginla. Instead they shit the bed versus Boston in Round 3. In contrast, I'd all but given up hope of ever seeing a Cup again in the Crosby/Malkin era in 2015 when Sullivan took the helm and they transformed into a well oiled machine during final 50 games of the regular season and were dominant through the 2016 Cup run.

TopChedder

Oct 2, 2013
Yeah, that's the nature of sports and how getting hot at the right time often times supersedes being great overall.

I thought the Pens were going to steamroll in 2013, especially after acquiring Iginla. Instead they shit the bed versus Boston in Round 3. In contrast, I'd all but given up hope of ever seeing a Cup again in the Crosby/Malkin era in 2015 when Sullivan took the helm and they transformed into a well oiled machine during final 50 games of the regular season and were dominant through the 2016 Cup run.

I would love to see Sid win another cup. My favorite player the last decade plus. He deserves another cup after having a chunk of his prime stolen with injury.

Reactions: Sidney the Kidney

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
Ahhhhhh again with absolutely hating the Leafs.

You are incredibly consistent, I will give you that.

I don't hate the Leafs. I just want the Leafs to prove themselves first by winning a couple rounds before their fans and media start planning the parade. Is that too much to ask?

TopChedder

Oct 2, 2013
I don't hate the Leafs. I just want the Leafs to prove themselves first by winning a couple rounds before their fans and media start planning the parade. Is that too much to ask?

I think that is very fair and most Leaf fans actually feel this way as well.

But many of the times I have seen you on here it's

-Leafs poor farm system
-Lily is trash and wouldn't return a 3rd
-Lineup is trash and not built for playoffs.

It's one thing to want a team to prove themselves, but you seem to think the whole organization is a trash can with no future pieces. That's all I am saying.

I agree fully with them proving themselves.

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
I think that is very fair and most Leaf fans actually feel this way as well.

But many of the times I have seen you on here it's

-Leafs poor farm system
-Lily is trash and wouldn't return a 3rd

-Lineup is trash and not built for playoffs.

It's one thing to want a team to prove themselves, but you seem to think the whole organization is a trash can with no future pieces. That's all I am saying.

I agree fully with them proving themselves.

Honestly, I don't know where the first 2 points are coming from. You must have me mistaken for someone else because I've never held those opinions let alone posted them. I also don't think the whole organization is trash. I just think that Dubas way overpaid for his core players by about 2 million per player, which I think is fair given that none of them have stepped up in the playoffs and taken control of a series like other players with similar cap hits (Kane, Toews, Crosby, Malkin, Kucherov, etc).

TopChedder

Oct 2, 2013
Honestly, I don't know where the first 2 points are coming from. You must have me mistaken for someone else because I've never held those opinions let alone posted them. I also don't think the whole organization is trash. I just think that Dubas way overpaid for his core players by about 2 million per player, which I think is fair given that none of them have stepped up in the playoffs and taken control of a series like other players with similar cap hits (Kane, Toews, Crosby, Malkin, Kucherov, etc).

If I am wrong and it wasn't you I had those convos with I apologize fully.

Regardless I do think we need to prove ourselves 100% even I won't believe in my own team fully until they do.

As far as overpaying the core goes. Yes I would have loved Mitch at 8.5-9 max and AM at 9.5-10 max but I still think they will live up to their contracts, and honestly no GM was going to sign them for less than what they wanted. The convo would have been

AM: This is what I will play for

GM: No, this is what I will pay you

AM: Bye! I will go to 30 other teams who will.

It's a pipedream to think he was not getting what he wanted and if Mitch hit the market it would be the same thing. I personally hate seeing players get paid before the earned it but the league is going that way.

Kyle does well in all other areas and even had to fix mistakes from before (Marleau) he front loads the hell out of the big contracts and is excellent at never overpaying complimentary pieces. He drafts excellent, built a great scouting and player development team, treats his players incredible, and has a great reputation overseas for free wallets. He also employs experts who literally built the cap.

I think we are in good hands and will be a sustainable winner.

Last edited:

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
If I am wrong and it wasn't you I had those convos with I apologize fully.

Regardless I do think we need to prove ourselves 100% even I won't believe in my own team fully until they do.

As far as overpaying the core goes. Yes I would have loved Mitch at 8.5-9 max and AM at 9.5-10 max but I still think they will live up to their contracts, and honestly no GM was going to sign them for less than what they wanted. The convo would have been

AM: This is what I will play for

GM: No, this is what I will pay you

AM: Bye! I will go to 30 other teams who will.

It's a pipedream to think he was not getting what he wanted and if Mitch hit the market it would be the same thing. I personally hate seeing players get paid before the earned it but the league is going that way.

See, this may be where we disagree. I would have given Marner a 2 year bridge contract as a "prove it" opportunity before paying him like other superstars who have proven it. These players can use their regular season point totals to justify their value but a smart GM will point to playoff success. Dubas gave into his player's wild demands and now there's very limited cap space to afford the necessary depth to beat the legitimate cup contenders in a 7 game series.

TopChedder

Oct 2, 2013
See, this may be where we disagree. I would have given Marner a 2 year bridge contract as a "prove it" opportunity before paying him like other superstars who have proven it. These players can use their regular season point totals to justify their value but a smart GM will point to playoff success. Dubas gave into his player's wild demands and now there's very limited cap space to afford the necessary depth to beat the legitimate cup contenders in a 7 game series.

I do agree a bridge would have been ideal for sure. That was what I wanted at first.

I just think maybe he thought the dollar amount would be better cap wise right now instead of uncertainty after that bridge was up.

Reactions: BlueMed

rosscow

Apr 5, 2015
I know I will get roasted for this by the children but I don't care.
Nor will I respond.

You can debate how strong the North is compared to the rest of the divisions but I think one thing you can't deny is, the Leafs have the easiest path the the Final 4.
No other division has a clear cut favourite the way the North does. As I see it, the only thing that can stop the Leafs from winning the division is the Leafs.
They should make the F4, no questions.

That has to make them a top contender.

Couldn't agree more. Tampa would be the other team that shouldn't even break a sweat before they get to the final 4.
In

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
The leafs also thought a coaching change would turn them into St.Louis when instead they lost in the play-in rounds.
Seems like a patently stupid argument.

The guy was here for a partial season, had a long layoff then a 5 game set where he lost his most important d man (their biggest weakness). You may not have noticed but this year if one goes down, they now have lots of depth in that position of weakness.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad