40% of the season in - Which teams do you consider to be Top Stanley Cup Contenders?

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
If tampa doesn't win the cup this year, it'll be from carolina or florida somehow upsetting them. No way they lose round 1 again. They're such a brutal team to play against, and they bully you and can bite back. Hedman in the ECF was such a nasty player that im shocked he isn't getting praise as the best swedish defenseman since lidstrom
He isn't?

Ok...

uhhh

He's the best Swedish dman since Lidstrom.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
If tampa doesn't win the cup this year, it'll be from carolina or florida somehow upsetting them. No way they lose round 1 again. They're such a brutal team to play against, and they bully you and can bite back. Hedman in the ECF was such a nasty player that im shocked he isn't getting praise as the best swedish defenseman since lidstrom

Hedmonster! There was a play he made in last year's playoffs where he had to invert his stick...it was one of the best defensive plays I have ever seen. Dude is just a great defenseman. It is a plus that he's great in the o zone as well. Thanks!

FractionTwo

Mar 3, 2021
Hedmonster! There was a play he made in last year's playoffs where he had to invert his stick...it was one of the best defensive plays I have ever seen. Dude is just a great defenseman. It is a plus that he's great in the o zone as well. Thanks!
I watched the ECF again, and I realized the main reason why the isles lost was because of hedman just going insane that series. That man did so much and I think he deserved the conn smythe instead

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
“Of course the Leafs are dominating, it’s a weak division!”

Literally the same conversation: “Leafs fans are laughing it up now, just wait until the playoffs!”

This place has a real tough time picking a narrative and sticking with it. Jesus Christ.

they still gotta play that same shit division for up to two playoff rounds, which could quite easily land them in a “conference final”

Shit competition or not, that just about solidifies them as contenders if the road is that much easier.

Reactions: Peiskos

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
I'm not sure who's not saying that but he sure is the best Swedish D since Lidstrom and is currently a top-10 player in the NHL

leafsfan2point0

Jun 8, 2011
Our team got bounced after not playing for 3 months and with half of our team having COVID during "training camp."

The Blues have much more talent than the Leafs. Apparently to you guys, talent only exists in the top 6, which is probably why you guys keep getting bounced in the first round every year. Talent counts all the way down to the 4th line and the 3rd D pairing. Fully healthy, we have...

Perron O'Reilly Tarasenko
Schwartz Schenn Kyrou
Hoffman Thomas Bozak
Sundqvist Barbashev Sanford

Scandella Parayko
Krug Faulk
Dunn Bortuzzo

Binnington
Husso

We would destroy you guys in 5 games..

I don’t mean to troll or anything because I do like the blues and was happy when they won!

The blues best forward would be the leafs 3rd/4th best.

This is how I would rank the defence

Parakyo
Rielly/Muzzin/Brodie
Faulk/Krug/Scandella
Holl
Bogo
Dunn/Bortuzzo
Dermott

I’d say it’s pretty even - I’ve been impressed with each dman on the leafs this year including Lehtonen who has only played under 10 games

Goaltending is tough - Binnington has proven he can play extremely well in the playoffs. Fredzilla will have to step up this year if he wants respect

I think the leafs have a great chance for the cup this year - the culture has changed and you can tell they’re hungry

MacMacandBarbie

Dec 9, 2019
well that too, but I haven't seen many writers say that

Fair enough, maybe it is my presence on this board, or maybe his play when you get into the playoffs wasn't as flashy as Mack early on or Point who was tearing it up for that team. But hockey analyst, this board, and all of my friends rightly praise him as one of the most complete and effective D-man they have ever seen. I honestly think you could plop Hedman on the leafs and they would be better than Tampa, that is how important he is to Tampa.

Reactions: FractionTwo

FractionTwo

Mar 3, 2021
Fair enough, maybe it is my presence on this board, or maybe his play when you get into the playoffs wasn't as flashy as Mack early on or Point who was tearing it up for that team. But hockey analyst, this board, and all of my friends rightly praise him as one of the most complete and effective D-man they have ever seen. I honestly think you could plop Hedman on the leafs and they would be better than Tampa, that is how important he is to Tampa.
Hedman makes ANY team better. I'm sorry if i'm going back to the isles again, but the first thing I wanted them to do was to get that defense more involved, especially watching how dominant a guy like sergachev or hedman can be for any team. They make the bolts function gorgeously, and Hedman himself just has an insanely soft wrist shot that works. Hell in a 2009 redraft, i'd take him over tavares because of how good hedman is as a playoff performer too

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Tampa has a decent chance at winning the ECF and WCF in back to back years.

There are no conferences this year. The final four teams are reseeded based on regular season points. Now, it’s quite possible that the league decides to award the Prince of Wales Trophy and Clarence Campbell Bowl to the two semi-final winners. So, it’s possible that Tampa could win the Prince of Wales one year and the Campbell the next.

It’s also possible that the leagues gives out neither the Prince of Wales nor the Campbell this season.

Reactions: Vincenzo Arelliti

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad