Post-Game Talk: #40: Hurricanes at FLYERS, Thursday, Jan. 3, 2019, 7:00 pm ET

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Agreed.

There's a lot to be said about the attitude in the locker room. They are so demoralized right now, it's crazy. Not many teams go thru a GM change in the middle of the year. They're all on eggshells, wondering a trade is going to be made, or if their position within the club will change. You can feel it.

Hextall not firing the entire coaching staff in the summer is the gift that keeps on giving. There is just too much turmoil now for this team to succeed.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
Admittedly, I wanted to do my post game thoughts after every game, but between the gf, my whacky work schedule, and the fact that I can't really bring myself to watch 2 hours of this drivel every other day, it just doesn't happen. It's funny, unless Hart is playing, it's just apathy. But, I was blessed with the time to watch this bullshit last night, and now you all should feel blessed reading my bullshit takes.

Konecny: love seeing a bona fide 1st line winger saddled with offensive juggernauts Varone and Weise. Quality. At least Lindblom is seeing more ice?

Hagg: There was an offensive blueline turnover by the Canes. Flubbed pass and Hagg jumps on it, then immediately just dumps the puck in, safely. Shocking, I know. Those are the plays that people commend and say "why to get it deep" as everyone goes for a line change. Reality: if he makes a short pass to a forward, it's an oddman rush or even a breakaway in deep. But he doesn't see that. It was a bad decision, but tbh it was the only decision he probably thought he had. His vision is zero. Him hit. Him safe.
  • Similarly, Gudas when he had that nice chance and broke his stick walked 2 strides in, allowing him to not only lay into a slapshot but also allow traffic to develop. That puck is softly on net from the blueline off a back-foot snap shot if Hagg gets it. Take that to the f***ing bank, boys.
  • Walked by Svechnikov. Just another example that speed and skill beats snot and balls 10/10 times.
Provorov: He had a good first period.
  • Made a few Provorov plays- short but sneaky plays to start a breakout under durress of a forecheck.
  • Also did his best Sanheim impersonation and jumped up towards the net on a rush for a give and go after entering the zone with speed.
  • Made 2 good poke checks to disrupt entries and also poked the puck away from Williams, stopping a breakaway in deep.
Dougie Hamilton: ends a 21 game goalless drought. Shocking, I know.

Simmonds: can't bury again, then commits a penalty. I'm sure it'll result in a PPGA. Oh look at that, what a shocker. Detrimental to the team again.

Neuvirth: second goal was terrible. 5th goal not as terrible, but come on guy.

Sanheim: Starting to show a knack at getting pucks through. Always nice. Kid is a beast. Always pushing play and is in good offensive spots at good times. Developing into a true top pair defenseman.
  • Great chance in the beginning of the 3rd on a nice cut
  • Unfortunately didn't tie Foegle up resulting in that tip in- looked like he was stumbling somehow
  • Straight line speed on display closing the gap on Svechnikov to hurry a shot on what would have been a breakaway
  • Just skated past everyone out of the Dzone to cause a 2-1. Broken up unfortunately.
Laughton: again in the middle of a shorthanded quasi-rush. I like his PK style

Weal: he deserves to play every day. Always seems to have a lot of jump and is in the middle of a number of offensive chances each game he plays. Set up Simmonds with a good pass, which of course was blown. Shocking, I know.

PK likes to all hang out in the slot. All 4 guys. Really effective way to kill penalties, though it has been better since the coaching change, which is good. First PP goal was on Neurvith. Horrendous. That second goal the Flyers scored was so nice. Coots did a good job reading the play and cycling in front with his stick down, and Giroux hits his stick with a perfect pass. JVR makes it look easy in front. Why tf isn't he on the first unit? Jesus.

Too many times these guys "wake up" and claw back into a game. They're so demoralized out there until something sparks them. Hextall should have slashed everyone last season, but instead picked and chose. Homer/Fletcher still picked and chose this season, but the damage is done. Everyone is gripping their sticks tightly. Not a good winning environment right now.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Admittedly, I wanted to do my post game thoughts after every game, but between the gf, my whacky work schedule, and the fact that I can't really bring myself to watch 2 hours of this drivel every other day, it just doesn't happen. It's funny, unless Hart is playing, it's just apathy. But, I was blessed with the time to watch this bull**** last night, and now you all should feel blessed reading my bull**** takes.

Konecny: love seeing a bona fide 1st line winger saddled with offensive juggernauts Varone and Weise. Quality. At least Lindblom is seeing more ice?

Hagg: There was an offensive blueline turnover by the Canes. Flubbed pass and Hagg jumps on it, then immediately just dumps the puck in, safely. Shocking, I know. Those are the plays that people commend and say "why to get it deep" as everyone goes for a line change. Reality: if he makes a short pass to a forward, it's an oddman rush or even a breakaway in deep. But he doesn't see that. It was a bad decision, but tbh it was the only decision he probably thought he had. His vision is zero. Him hit. Him safe.
  • Similarly, Gudas when he had that nice chance and broke his stick walked 2 strides in, allowing him to not only lay into a slapshot but also allow traffic to develop. That puck is softly on net from the blueline off a back-foot snap shot if Hagg gets it. Take that to the ****ing bank, boys.
  • Walked by Svechnikov. Just another example that speed and skill beats snot and balls 10/10 times.
Provorov: He had a good first period.
  • Made a few Provorov plays- short but sneaky plays to start a breakout under durress of a forecheck.
  • Also did his best Sanheim impersonation and jumped up towards the net on a rush for a give and go after entering the zone with speed.
  • Made 2 good poke checks to disrupt entries and also poked the puck away from Williams, stopping a breakaway in deep.
Dougie Hamilton: ends a 21 game goalless drought. Shocking, I know.

Simmonds: can't bury again, then commits a penalty. I'm sure it'll result in a PPGA. Oh look at that, what a shocker. Detrimental to the team again.

Neuvirth: second goal was terrible. 5th goal not as terrible, but come on guy.

Sanheim: Starting to show a knack at getting pucks through. Always nice. Kid is a beast. Always pushing play and is in good offensive spots at good times. Developing into a true top pair defenseman.
  • Great chance in the beginning of the 3rd on a nice cut
  • Unfortunately didn't tie Foegle up resulting in that tip in- looked like he was stumbling somehow
  • Straight line speed on display closing the gap on Svechnikov to hurry a shot on what would have been a breakaway
  • Just skated past everyone out of the Dzone to cause a 2-1. Broken up unfortunately.
Laughton: again in the middle of a shorthanded quasi-rush. I like his PK style

Weal: he deserves to play every day. Always seems to have a lot of jump and is in the middle of a number of offensive chances each game he plays. Set up Simmonds with a good pass, which of course was blown. Shocking, I know.

PK likes to all hang out in the slot. All 4 guys. Really effective way to kill penalties, though it has been better since the coaching change, which is good. First PP goal was on Neurvith. Horrendous. That second goal the Flyers scored was so nice. Coots did a good job reading the play and cycling in front with his stick down, and Giroux hits his stick with a perfect pass. JVR makes it look easy in front. Why tf isn't he on the first unit? Jesus.

Too many times these guys "wake up" and claw back into a game. They're so demoralized out there until something sparks them. Hextall should have slashed everyone last season, but instead picked and chose. Homer/Fletcher still picked and chose this season, but the damage is done. Everyone is gripping their sticks tightly. Not a good winning environment right now.

giphy.gif

(I read it)

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
I think I’ve told this story before but if so it’s been a while, so... back in the day I used to play in these open hockey pick up games they had around lunch time at the U Penn rink. After our little game the Flyers had practice so we could hang around until they kicked us out. I remember watching MacLeish stand at one blue line and just snap shots over the glass at the other end. Kind of took the wind out of my sails to be honest.
Next to Mike Bossy, Macleish had the most lethal wrist shot I ever saw.

Reactions: gertbfrobe16

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad