Player Discussion #40 Elias Pettersson, Pt. VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
I can vividly remember being pissed about this pick, as he wasn't ranked higher than 8th overall by the majority of reports. I wanted Vilardi, then Glass. It seemed like Juolevi Part 2: a reach for a lesser European player over some hard-nosed NA kids.

How very, very wrong I turned out to be. This kid could very well bring us the Cup one day. The sky is the limit. This is only the beginning.

BlueGreen

Jan 3, 2018
I can vividly remember being pissed about this pick, as he wasn't ranked higher than 8th overall by the majority of reports. I wanted Vilardi, then Glass. It seemed like Juolevi Part 2: a reach for a lesser European player over some hard-nosed NA kids.

How very, very wrong I turned out to be. This kid could very well bring us the Cup one day. The sky is the limit. This is only the beginning.
You all may not believe me, but I was following Elias before the draft and prayed that we pick him. I wanted him above anyone else for where we were picking. I actually yelled yes so loudly at work when JB called out his name. I’m so glad he’s ours, and that he has become the elite player I envisioned him becoming.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
While some were unhappy, most seemed happy with the pick and optimistic about his upside.

Nothing like Juolevi, which wasn't really a reach, but wasn't a swing for the fences pick like Pettersson.

I expect Pettersson to maintain his scoring pace and win the Art Ross by 40+ points.

Reactions: FacepalmBenning

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013

I was pissed/depressed too. I had my heart set on Glass and was fantasizing about having him and Bo as a 1-2 punch down the middle in the future.

Never been happier to be wrong about a player.

Lenerdosy

Feb 23, 2015

I remember being high on Vilardi until right before the draft when I heard about his piss poor foot speed and "experts" didn't think he could fix it. But I was stoked for Glass, I thought that would be a no brainer because Elias was ranked mid teens on some draft rankings so I didn't even look at him much. Once they drafted him I remember my buddy loosing his crap we picked some tiny European and I was just like "well lets hope he has the skill to backup his lack of size". Looks like Benning may have done his research well, like many scouts ended up saying, if he had been 20lbs heavier he would have been first overall. 20lbs as a 17 year old... WTF? You need to draft on skill/instincts, not size of a kid who has barely hit puberty. Man its gonna be fun watching this kid for years, just oozes confidence when he's on the ice.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Can Pettersson accomplish the impossible? Can he actually make a scorer out of Eriksson again? Looks rejuvenated playing with his slick, young countryman.

And you have to laugh now at all the hand-wringing about how Elias might get overwhelmed at center with all of the defensive responsibilities. So far he's been on of the best Canucks 'offensively' and 'defensively'. And if there's any chance that he can actually center a No.1 line as a 19-year old, look out. With the Horvat line it would actually give the Canucks 'two' scoring lines. Who'd have thought it?

Reactions: Katani Kalan

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Pettersson is the perfect transition for the new era. Sedins were playing an outdated style of hockey that fell behind a faster, younger NHL.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
Nice to see him assert himself at even strength in his debut, pretty sure all his preseason points were on the PP.

2 primary points in 8 5V5 minutes..not bad.

Reactions: Melvin

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
For entertainment tonight im going to run myself a nice bath, drink a couple of bevy and read the draft day thread for when people lost their marbles when we drafted Elias. Gonna be a great night.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
2 under-rated things by Eriksson.

1. That back hand pass through the defender to spring Elias.

2. Grabbing the puck after the goal so that the Hockey Hall of Fame can put it up on diaplay in 20 yrs.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Nice to see him assert himself at even strength in his debut, pretty sure all his preseason points were on the PP.

2 primary points in 8 5V5 minutes..not bad.

It was virtually the first time Pettersson found some space and time with the puck as well... saw him receive the pass, perked up - What's he gonna d--WOOHOO!

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
Pettersson is the perfect transition for the new era. Sedins were playing an outdated style of hockey that fell behind a faster, younger NHL.

No they weren’t, they were playing their style of hockey. It wasn’t outdated, it just wasn’t common. What they did would work just fine nowadays, they were just passed their primes and not as effective. Even still, they both scored over 50 points as 37 year olds.. Nothing wrong with that..

Reactions: deckercky

stampedingviking

Jul 2, 2013
Basingstoke, England
You all may not believe me, but I was following Elias before the draft and prayed that we pick him. I wanted him above anyone else for where we were picking. I actually yelled yes so loudly at work when JB called out his name. I’m so glad he’s ours, and that he has become the elite player I envisioned him becoming.
I was so scared that we wouldn't pick him, especially as he's European and a lot of hype was being given to NA players.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
liked this pick at the time it was made unlike virtanen and juolevi

but I wasn't fully on board with the hype that came from his historic season until he came over to NA

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
Hahahah - love to see the enthusiasm on this board.........I agree he's a superstar in the making and I've been saying since the start he's going to be the best Canuck EVER to suit up for us.

With that being said this board is going a weeeee bit overboard.......but I suppose considering the tire fire that is the rest of our team some light at the end of the tunnel that isn't a train is refreshing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino