Player Discussion #40 Elias Pettersson, Pt. VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
It was a classic case of scouts going by wjc only. Petterssons regular season in swedish tier 2 was a record by 17 year olds I think. And yet scouts ignored his fine season because wjc didnt go his way. Some people put too much stock in short tournaments.

Feb 24, 2017
Hahahah - love to see the enthusiasm on this board.........I agree he's a superstar in the making and I've been saying since the start he's going to be the best Canuck EVER to suit up for us.

With that being said this board is going a weeeee bit overboard.......but I suppose considering the tire fire that is the rest of our team some light at the end of the tunnel that isn't a train is refreshing.
I’m not intending to derail this thread, but I would be thrilled if Elias could become that. But it’s gonna be damn hard to top old number 10/96. :nod:

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
I’m not intending to derail this thread, but I would be thrilled if Elias could become that. But it’s gonna be damn hard to top old number 10/96. :nod:

Pettersson is 4 times the player Bure was when Bure broke into the league...
But less than half the player Bure was when he left the Canucks.
Pettersson also twice the player rookie Kesler was.

(lame i know.. maybe someone bites)

Reactions: Peter10

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Pettersson is 4 times the player Bure was when Bure broke into the league...
But less than half the player Bure was when he left the Canucks.
Pettersson also twice the player rookie Kesler was.

(lame i know.. maybe someone bites)

Rookie Bure as a monster
Rookie Kesler was a defensive C without a shot playing on a shutdown line with Burrows and Hansen

Comparing apples and hot dogs here

Reactions: lawrence

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Bure was more electric and had an air of mystery to him, given that he had only been seen in a couple of WJC’s internationally (and that was before it was a widely watched tournament). When he defected and joined the Canucks early in the 91-92 season it was a complete surprise. I remember Tony Gallagher wrote some pieces in the Province detailing his defection and Sports Page has a piece on him hanging out in LA with his brother. Otherwise not much was known about him for the average fan.

Pettersson has the more effective debut - Bure didn’t score in his - and may end up being the more effective player overall, but he comes in as less of a mystery than Bure did, which impacts how the debuts compare.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
I was pissed/depressed too. I had my heart set on Glass and was fantasizing about having him and Bo as a 1-2 punch down the middle in the future.

Never been happier to be wrong about a player.

I was also set on Glass, although I was not mad we picked Petterson and optimistic about his potential.

Well one is looking like he’ll be a superstar in this league in the same lineup with Bo Horvat while the other one just got sent back to juniors.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
It was EP or Gabe Vilardi for me, and I'm still worried LA has the perfect Kopitar-Carter-Vilardi succession plan in place

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
Hahahah - love to see the enthusiasm on this board.........I agree he's a superstar in the making and I've been saying since the start he's going to be the best Canuck EVER to suit up for us.

With that being said this board is going a weeeee bit overboard.......but I suppose considering the tire fire that is the rest of our team some light at the end of the tunnel that isn't a train is refreshing.

I personally don’t think we are going overboard.

I think many people here are comparing their experiences following Canuck prospects... if you look at the last 10 years of prospects there is no comparable to Petterson.

Remember those days when we only drolled at elite prospects? (Watching Stamkos enter the league, Kane, Matthews..)

Where Elias Petterson is our version of those type of prospects. Elite, and something we have not had before since drafting the Sedins or drafting Bure. This is uncharted territory here, and the only way we know how to react is to go overboard.

I have not seen a Canuck rookie done this.. I have not, even the Sedins took years to get going.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
It was a classic case of scouts going by wjc only. Petterssons regular season in swedish tier 2 was a record by 17 year olds I think. And yet scouts ignored his fine season because wjc didnt go his way. Some people put too much stock in short tournaments.

I think it was the lack of hype or attention he actually got because it was the Nolan Patrick / Nico Heicher draft. Also regardless of level, Swedish tier 2 >> any CHL leauge. teams from that leauge can be promoted to Swedish Tier 1.

if he didn't go to the wjc that year he would have finished top 3 in scoring in a leauge where he is playing against men.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
It was EP or Gabe Vilardi for me, and I'm still worried LA has the perfect Kopitar-Carter-Vilardi succession plan in place

I didn't follow the draft much that year as hockey was hurting my heart too much, but I don't remember hearing a thing about Pettersson. I still knew about Glass and Vilardi and others, just nothing about Pettersson. After the pick when I checked him out I was pretty happy.

I genuinely think that anyone who 'freaked out' about the Pettersson pick just didn't know much about Pettersson because he just wasn't talked about nearly as much as the other guys. There are far more casual hockey fans than me and I had no f***ing idea who Pettersson was and had to actually look him up.

I think people should stop trying to claim that everyone was freaking out about Pettersson, I think he just wasn't a name on anyone's radar at the time rather than anyone actually having a problem with the player selected. After I looked him up he seems like the kind of player I would have wanted ahead if Vilardi, I just didn't know he existed at the time. I'm all about boom or bust skill players in the top 10, especially in the higher end of the top 10.

GPNuck

Nov 25, 2013
I didn't follow the draft much that year as hockey was hurting my heart too much, but I don't remember hearing a thing about Pettersson. I still knew about Glass and Vilardi and others, just nothing about Pettersson. After the pick when I checked him out I was pretty happy.

I genuinely think that anyone who 'freaked out' about the Pettersson pick just didn't know much about Pettersson because he just wasn't talked about nearly as much as the other guys. There are far more casual hockey fans than me and I had no ****ing idea who Pettersson was and had to actually look him up.

I think people should stop trying to claim that everyone was freaking out about Pettersson, I think he just wasn't a name on anyone's radar at the time rather than anyone actually having a problem with the player selected. After I looked him up he seems like the kind of player I would have wanted ahead if Vilardi, I just didn't know he existed at the time. I'm all about boom or bust skill players in the top 10, especially in the higher end of the top 10.

It was no secret we were taking Pettersson, I don't understand how everyone was so surprised we flew him in from Sweden to meat with management before the draft... I mean the writing was on the wall and its fantastic

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
It was no secret we were taking Pettersson, I don't understand how everyone was so surprised we flew him in from Sweden to meat with management before the draft... I mean the writing was on the wall and its fantastic

We flew both Pettersson and Glass to Vancouver for second interviews. The media speculation was that Vancouver was high on Glass, so most assumed he was their real target.

Broadslayer

Oct 4, 2018
I said it December 2016 if I had the #1 pick EP is a no brainer. He’s a rare player.

Glad he’s putting up points, but I’d maintain this position even if he went 0 in the pre season and Patrick / Hischier smoke him.

Unlike a lot of people on here I don’t really care about being able to argue with Leafs fan using an excel sheet.

He will be a top 5 player in this league. He’s Matthews/Eichel tier good. Mark my words.

Reactions: huntison
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad