Player Discussion #40 Elias Pettersson, Pt. VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
With no disrespect to Horvat I fully believe that Pettersson should be the next captain of the Vancouver Canucks. Not this year but as early at next season. I hope other people can see that Elias Petterson is captain material. From pre-season, face off aside he is by far the best player and in many regards our most complete 2 way player as well.

He plays the game the right way and that should be the face of the team. He’s probably the only player on the team with the mental toughness and confidence to take on the honor and responsibility of captaincy. Just out of respect to other players, it should be next season.

It’s pretty clear this player is special in every regard. Shows maturity beyond his years, never shows himself getting flustered and carries himself on and off the ice with pure class and professionalism. You can see Horvat get visibly upset all the time and his game become affected by it.

Elias just has the mental toughness and confidence that is going to carry/lead this team out of the dark times. He does not ever complain or whine on the ice ever. Just goes back out, picks himself up and tries to be better the next shift.

He is not only the most skilled player on the Canucks already, but I’ve been more impressed with his composure, mentality and confidence that just exudes leadership. Even his interviews are more candid and insightful and would be a better voice for the team then anyeone else.

When you have the elite skills and work ethic of Elias, that is the player you want everyone to play like both young and old players need to follow his lead.

If you work has hard as Elias Pettersson, players have no excuse not to work harder themselves because someone with exponentially superior skill is showing this never give up attitude.

You make a good point about Pettersson’s composure and obvious skill. However I think the most important aspect of being captain is how your teammates perceive you, being the guy the rest of the team will defer to without any resentment. Is Pettersson the guy who is the natural leader in the dressing room?I don’t really know, but I doubt it at age 19. Given his obvious maturity and composure for his age he may well grow into that role over the course of time. However, seeing as the canucks are going to suck for the foreseeable future, I think it unwise to burden him with extra responsibilities when he should be focused on his game.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Pettersson a future captain? Not sure about that. But he's been a beacon of light in an otherwise dismal pre-season. Every game he does something to showcase his immense talent. And he has that 'swagger'. He's good. He knows it. But is driven to be even better. Sit back and enjoy the ride, because he's going to be something special.

Reactions: sting101

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Pettersson a future captain? Not sure about that. But he's been a beacon of light in an otherwise dismal pre-season. Every game he does something to showcase his immense talent. And he has that 'swagger'. He's good. He knows it. But is driven to be even better. Sit back and enjoy the ride, because he's going to be something special.
I fully expect some struggles but watch this video and look at the incredible growth and confidence in 1 yr. Burke said he has no ceiling because he doesn't.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
He has some PR development to undergo... Needs to develop some patience for redundant or dumb questions. Could be a trying season... he'll need some sheltering by the vets on the team from the media to come out for the tough losses.
He hasn't shown an NHL caliber cliche game yet... still has to prove himself there big time.

FlatIron

Sep 27, 2017
Montreal
Hey Canuckles, Avs fan here. Just curious on how you think Pettersson will do? He'll be staying with Vancouver all year most likely yes?

Foppberg, you beat me to it by 4 minutes. I came here to ask the same question. Guys any idea if Pettersson is going to be on top two lines to start the season? Is he going to be on the usual 9 game probationary watch?

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
Foppberg, you beat me to it by 4 minutes. I came here to ask the same question. Guys any idea if Pettersson is going to be on top two lines to start the season? Is he going to be on the usual 9 game probationary watch?
He is the 2nd line center.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Hey Canuckles, Avs fan here. Just curious on how you think Pettersson will do? He'll be staying with Vancouver all year most likely yes?
Hes here to stay. Looks like to start the season as 2C but not sure of the linemates as theyve changed thruout the preseason. Possibilities are Baertchi Boeser but more likely Goldobin and Eriksson. Our team is suppose to be historically bad this year so cant see him not here all season. Also not sure if him and Boeser will be focused on so much thatll hurt their production or if thell still manage to get a ton a points on a team with less then 200 goals. Check out our annual predictions thread to see the variety of predictions we are making about Pettersson

Reactions: Foppberg

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Hes here to stay. Looks like to start the season as 2C but not sure of the linemates as theyve changed thruout the preseason. Possibilities are Baertchi Boeser but more likely Goldobin and Eriksson. Our team is suppose to be historically bad this year so cant see him not here all season. Also not sure if him and Boeser will be focused on so much thatll hurt their production or if thell still manage to get a ton a points on a team with less then 200 goals. Check out our annual predictions thread to see the variety of predictions we are making about Pettersson
Sweet, thanks for the tips. Ended up taking him and Horvat in a recent pool thinking they might play together so I'm rooting for you guys to actually be good this year :laugh:

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Man with those D pairings they better hope Edler and Tanev are playing 40 minutes a night. Motte-Sutter-Virtanen....three players that forget they have linemates when they get the puck so I guess they may as well play together.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Sweet, thanks for the tips. Ended up taking him and Horvat in a recent pool thinking they might play together so I'm rooting for you guys to actually be good this year :laugh:
Likewise for me with the Avs. Im a big Rantanen fan and predicting him EXPLODING this season with ppg or better. Id take him 5th in a 2015 redraft one spot ahead of Boeser

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Likewise for me with the Avs. Im a big Rantanen fan and predicting him EXPLODING this season with ppg or better. Id take him 5th in a 2015 redraft one spot ahead of Boeser
The Avs really are a big question mark, as much as I believe in MacK/Mikko I don't know if they'll replicate last season. With that said MacKinnon looked lethal as usual in Preseason and Mikko looks quite a bit faster and stronger on his skates. He has had the nickname bambi because for a 6'4 man he falls down an awful lot.

lakers11

Aug 23, 2014
Vaxjo looks bad without EP40. 3 losses in 5 games.

*4 losses

Its not like we only lost EP. We got drained badly. Instead of trying to replace them, we cheapened out. Not only that, but the one good FW that stayed from last season is injured.

Even tho we're shyt now, things can change in the coming months. New players in, others out.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
*4 losses

Its not like we only lost EP. We got drained badly. Instead of trying to replace them, we cheapened out. Not only that, but the one good FW that stayed from last season is injured.

Even tho we're shyt now, things can change in the coming months. New players in, others out.
Joakim Lindstrom won the Guldhjalmen last year. Do you think it should have been Pettersson?

EK47

Jukka Jalonen should be in all the hall of fames.
Feb 7, 2013
Joakim Lindstrom won the Guldhjalmen last year. Do you think it should have been Pettersson?
Everyone thinks it should’ve been Pettersson but I guess Lindström’s AMAZING olympic performance tipped the scales.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad