Player Discussion #40 Elias Pettersson, Pt. VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

elwin316

Jun 4, 2009
He deserves a roster spot 100% and he's the only reason I'm going to watch games this year. His goal song needs to be Nothing Else Matters.

Reactions: clunk

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
Pettersson was one of the a players who actually played like they deserve a roster spot on a NHL team. If he isn't there, I may just watch highlights, barely any incentive to watch besides him.

Last edited:
Reactions: geebaan

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
Pettersson was one of the few players who actually played like they deserve a roster spot on a NHL team. If he isn't there, I may just watch highlights, barely any incentive to watch besides him.

Look we suck enough as it is to invent doom and gloom. He’s gonna be in, because I haven’t seen one inkling from anyone in the org to say he isnt

Reactions: DonnyNucker

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Wow, with the Sedins and Zetterberg retiring this year, a golden era of Swedish hockey really has come to an end. That group of Swedes whose careers all had significant overlap include stars like Lidstrom, Forsberg, Sundin, Naslund, Zetterberg, the Sedins, and Alfredsson. Of that list only Naslund missed out on the Olympic Gold Medal in 2006.

Dont know if you've noticed... but the mantle is always being passed. .

Pettersson
Karlsson
Karlsson
Backstrom
Forsberg
Nylander
Klingberg
Hedberg

No need to worry..
Their Golden Era is about to begin.

DarrenX

Apr 15, 2014
Dont know if you've noticed... but the mantle is always being passed. .

Pettersson
Karlsson
Karlsson
Backstrom
Forsberg
Nylander
Klingberg
Hedberg

No need to worry..
Their Golden Era is about to begin.

You could have put Rasmus Dahlin on that list too.

Feb 20, 2013
Anyone else notice that moment when Burke was asked about EP in the first intermission?

"He has the potential to be..." Big pause...

I am pretty sure he wanted to say something like: "the best player in the world", but thought the better of it.

"Well his ceiling is... He may not have a ceiling"

Reactions: sting101

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
Wouldn't a line with Boeser-Pettersson-Eriksson be pretty fantastic?

Eriksson doing the heave defensive lifting while Pettersson feeds Boeser open nets.

Bieksa#3

Mar 2, 2007
With no disrespect to Horvat I fully believe that Pettersson should be the next captain of the Vancouver Canucks. Not this year but as early at next season. I hope other people can see that Elias Petterson is captain material. From pre-season, face off aside he is by far the best player and in many regards our most complete 2 way player as well.

He plays the game the right way and that should be the face of the team. He’s probably the only player on the team with the mental toughness and confidence to take on the honor and responsibility of captaincy. Just out of respect to other players, it should be next season.

It’s pretty clear this player is special in every regard. Shows maturity beyond his years, never shows himself getting flustered and carries himself on and off the ice with pure class and professionalism. You can see Horvat get visibly upset all the time and his game become affected by it.

Elias just has the mental toughness and confidence that is going to carry/lead this team out of the dark times. He does not ever complain or whine on the ice ever. Just goes back out, picks himself up and tries to be better the next shift.

He is not only the most skilled player on the Canucks already, but I’ve been more impressed with his composure, mentality and confidence that just exudes leadership. Even his interviews are more candid and insightful and would be a better voice for the team then anyeone else.

When you have the elite skills and work ethic of Elias, that is the player you want everyone to play like both young and old players need to follow his lead.

If you work has hard as Elias Pettersson, players have no excuse not to work harder themselves because someone with exponentially superior skill is showing this never give up attitude.

Reactions: BlueGreen

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
Perhaps if the Canucks decide to go a few seasons before replacing Henrik, Pettersson could be considered as a captain. Imo the team should not put the C on Pettersson while he's a raw rookie whose interviews in his second language aren't entirely comfortable, regardless of how good a player or person or both they consider him to be.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I'd give him a year first. Not having a captain this year isn't the end of the world. Or Edler with his one year. Or Horvat long term. I like Pettersson, I think he's hella talented, but let's see how he plays in the NHL before declaring him the second coming.

Reactions: Jack Burton

Bieksa#3

Mar 2, 2007
That’s what I mean, not this year but for next season. A big mistake would be to name Horvat captain this year.

Elias is just too good and smart a hockey player that I don’t even think captaincy would become a burden for him. He’s got similar demanor like the Sedin twins but with a more confident aura around him.

It’s nice to have a captain that always proves people wrong. Whether if it’s questions about his size, can’t play center or won’t transition to NA ice.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Not a chance. He needs to focus completely on hockey. He's not a extrovert guy that wishes for attention. It will stress him out and this shouldn't be talked about until he's an established veteran.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
I don't think he is a leader. There is nothing wrong with him not being one. I don't think he has ever been a captain on a previous team. I mean Bure worked hard and was super competitive, and had the desire to win and be the best, but I don't think he was captain material either.

I know myself, and I am a good leader, but I don't have that it factor to make me a captain, I am more of a great 2nd in command person.

Meanwhile Bo has been a great leader in the past, the leader of a championship caliber team.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Canucks Captain Elias Pettersson organizes a team bonding night on a recent road trip to Las Vegas.

Canucks Captain Elias Pettersson stays in hotel room and plays fortnite as he cant attend said bonding night as he is under aged in Las Vegas.

Just let this guy play hockey and adjust to living not only to a new country but a new continent.

Maybe in 5-7 yrs if he shows true leadership qualities then anoint him then.

But to put thay kind of responsibility and load on him is not smart.

Bieksa#3

Mar 2, 2007
I don't think he is a leader. There is nothing wrong with him not being one. I don't think he has ever been a captain on a previous team. I mean Bure worked hard and was super competitive, and had the desire to win and be the best, but I don't think he was captain material either.

I know myself, and I am a good leader, but I don't have that it factor to make me a captain, I am more of a great 2nd in command person.

Meanwhile Bo has been a great leader in the past, the leader of a championship caliber team.

You make a good point there about Bure. Elias just seems to have that Lidstrom persona to him. Calming quality that teammates can lean and look up to.

Special players can handle it and I truly believe petterson is one of those special players like Toews, Crosby mold. I’m sure his English will improve significantly being exposed to it all year in NA that it won’t be an issue really.

1-2 year it should go to him.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
You make a good point there about Bure. Elias just seems to have that Lidstrom persona to him. Calming quality that teammates can lean and look up to.

Special players can handle it and I truly believe petterson is one of those special players like Toews, Crosby mold. I’m sure his English will improve significantly being exposed to it all year in NA that it won’t be an issue really.

1-2 year it should go to him.

If they do, than why was he not in the WJC, or in Sweden?

I think as fans we often think things that are not true. We are not in the room and have no idea of the dynamics. We don't know who people gravitate towards and who the teams leaders really are.

beachcomber

Apr 6, 2015
Kid will be a star in this league in short order. Going to be a treat to watch. He will just have to get used to playing for the worst organization in the NHL for majority of the last 47 years. Good luck kid, you’ll need it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad