Prospect Info: #40 Dylan James, 2022 Draft

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
You don't need to make an entire list to say player A over player B if they were both available at the pick.

Raz and Necas were both available at #9, James and Goyette were both available at #40.

I'm just going on record so that people don't say it's hindsight 3 years from now. It's absurd to call it hindsight when nothing has changed in the past 2 days, lol.
I love it, I will be your notary for this.

Reactions: Gniwder

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
If David f***ing Goyette is the hill that people want to die on, god bless em.

I haven't watched James play and can't really comment on him

Coach Reggie Dunlop

Jun 9, 2021
Michigan
Excited to see what Dylan James can do here at this development camp, idk how physical they can be so let’s see if this guy truly has the upside Draper and co thinks he has. As of now I don’t see it, but I hope I’m wrong.

Coach Reggie Dunlop

Jun 9, 2021
Michigan
... and when a gritty LW is the #2 priority on your draft wish list then there's something wrong.

Stevie/Draper have yet to pick a center in the second or 3rd round.
Essentially my argument. There was a lot of upside centers on the board or noah Warren who would have solidified our blue line prospects…for me this is probably one of the more controversial picks we have had in the entirety of the rebuild. Hope it works out

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
If David f***ing Goyette is the hill that people want to die on, god bless em.

I haven't watched James play and can't really comment on him
I don't think you understand the meaning of that phrase.

All I'm pointing out is that there were prospects I'd rather have so I mentioned one. We'll see how it pans out, they may both have decent careers. Unless there's an obvious BPA, the scouts need to start addressing obvious holes.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
That was my initial thought as well, "linemate for Mazur". Those kids that play at North Dakota are hard-asses. Brad Berry tends to get the best out of his players so we'll see how he evolves.
Thats good to hear. I’m not really familiar with the UND program. He probably would thrive anywhere, but going to UND certainly didn’t hurt Sanderson.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Real excited to follow this kid from here on out.

I'm glad I don't follow prospects pre-draft anymore. Mainly because I don't have the time to watch them enough anymore to have an informed opinion, but also because I'm just happier not getting wrapped up in all this post-draft consternation lol. I'm happy to pick these prospects up after we pick them, and then follow their young careers from there.

I'll criticize a draft in the ensuing years, but for now, for the 2022 draft, I'm just going to trust that Yzerman & Co are better at this than anyone here. Maybe they aren't, but that's what the future is for. I do find it weird to have strong preferences on players after the 1st round though.

I don't think I was posting much here at the time of the 2017 draft, but I was at the draft, 'pounding the table' (or I guess my armrest) for Necas and was totally befuddled with the Ras pick. I watched a lot of Necas that previous year and was really high on him. Ras is probably the last Wings pick where I had a very strong preference for another player whom I watched a lot of.

Reactions: RRhoads and Realgud

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
You seem to be quite mad other people have different opinions than you.

I think what you’re seeing is someone who is tired of people acting like:

1. They watch enough prospects to have an informed opinion.

2. They know enough to suggest that the Wings scouting staff doesn’t know what they are doing.

3. They seem to have a belief that the future is not unknown, and certain prospects are more or less likely to succeed.

It is pretty irritating looking at the discourse post-draft on this site. Because the players that the Wings pick apparently barely understand the sport of hockey, but the poster’s preferred pick is the ultimate sleeper who will become a top line player. Rarely is it actually discussing the player, it’s just saying that the player is going to suck and that someone else wouldn’t have sucked.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
I think what you’re seeing is someone who is tired of people acting like:

1. They watch enough prospects to have an informed opinion.

2. They know enough to suggest that the Wings scouting staff doesn’t know what they are doing.

3. They seem to have a belief that the future is not unknown, and certain prospects are more or less likely to succeed.

It is pretty irritating looking at the discourse post-draft on this site. Because the players that the Wings pick apparently barely understand the sport of hockey, but the poster’s preferred pick is the ultimate sleeper who will become a top line player. Rarely is it actually discussing the player, it’s just saying that the player is going to suck and that someone else wouldn’t have sucked.

huh?

the future is unknown so all prospects are identical?

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
Honestly a lot of us gave Holland a hard time with that pick he was 2nd round too right? I hated the pick at the time lol so not a bad point.
Much of it has to do with people feeling any player selected that has any remote association with the team, past or present, is nepotism.

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
people need to stop complaining and just see what we have here.
give the kid time.
guess what? there's going to be someone in round 2 that takes off and we missed them.
same with round 4 or 5 or 6 or 7.
just relax and lets see what we have here. hope for him to be a stud and stop wishing we took someone else. we didnt. get over it. move on.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
huh?

the future is unknown so all prospects are identical?

They aren’t identical, but the discourse is always “the guy I liked is so much better than this guy” as if we know how the development is going to play out for the two prospects

Realgud

Jersey ads are a disgrace
Nov 4, 2013
realguddraftsimulator.com
I really like James and glad we drafted him. Felt high at 40 but if you really like the player, you draft the player. And the wings drafting him that high says something, but we'll see. The wings scouts aren't infallible either.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

2.0 is Mazur
Him and Bert are kinda twins.
1657559876293.png

Reactions: lilidk

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
So I guess I saw 03 and thought he was an overages. Turns out he's not and just on the older end of first time draft eligibles. That misinfo really colored my view of the pick, now I like it more. Still would have liked Trikozov, Lutz, or Casey but this is a fine pick at 40.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Dylan James is average skater?

Great to hear, so was Brayden Point.

There's room for development, and then he could reach a new level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad