Prospect Info: #40 Dylan James, 2022 Draft

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Wings pick Dylan James in round 2 (pick #40) of the 2022 draft.

Last edited:

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Draper pick?

Draper pick.

giphy.gif

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
In terms of his game, he’s a mature two-way forward. Already at 181 pounds, James plays a hard, physical game, scoring most of his goals from close to the net. However, scouts have been quick to note his speed and the ability to score from the slot and beyond. He has all the makings for a power-forward with his skill set.

Critics have noted that he isn’t an elite talent at creating offense for himself. They say that he’ll struggle to create offense for himself at the next level, due to his offensive skill set off the rush. Although, even his critics note that his combination of size and skill outweigh the minute flaws and that he’s able to contribute in all three zones at a high level.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I'm not saying it as a dig, my dude. I'm doing some research on the guy as we speak. Seems like an interesting pick and a guy that was climbing the boards.
I get ya, this was a kid I really thought Draper/Detroit would be a fan of, just didn’t think he would go quite this high.

I think he has some similar positives as Kasper, honestly. Competitive and well-rounded. Plays with jam. Put up a point a game in the USHL, so he has some offense too.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
In summary:

Positives
Dylan James is a relentless worker
Excellent as F1 on the forecheck
Physical and gritty
Good straight line speed
Nose for the net
Great attitude and team-first guy
Big game player

Negatives
Causes unforced turnovers when carrying the puck in the offensive zone.
Needs to work on his passing
Needs to work on his agility
Can get stronger (like all prospects)
Can get caught puck watching as a defender

Projects as a 3rd/4th line guy. Was probably taken 15-25 picks too early according to the rankings.

We all like the Bertuzzi pick in hindsight, and most of us liked the Mazur pick after his rookie season at Denver. I think we can be patient with this one. I personally would have preferred Noah Warren at 40 THEN would have gone after James, but hey. Not much we can do about that now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad