Prospect Info: #40 Dylan James, 2022 Draft

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
But we don't know what he'll be at all.
That I'd true. I know nothing about James. I'm just saying there were some high upside guys I wanted at this pick that we passed on. I'd be happy to eat crow on this pick in a few years.

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
Outside of Bert that's a whole lot of nothing.
ITs kind of hard for the guys drafted in the last two years to be 'something' when playing in junior. Both had pretty good years. I personally still hold out some hope for McIsaac now he's fit at last, and of course Mazur just had a great year.

SpitfireG

Sep 29, 2013
Very strong pick. Dude is high competitive with high work ethic and motor like Kasper has, with strong pace and finishing abilities, that is exactly we are looking for bottom 6 line guys to win PO games.

James has a winner charisma and he's very strong human after his coach. Definitly great move by Steve and Draper.

Last edited:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
From Draper-interview:

- Won USHL Championship
- Put up some good numbers for 1st year USHL player
- Complete hockey player, used in all situations
- We really like his 200-foot game
- Liked where he is going (North Dakota)

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
... and when a gritty LW is the #2 priority on your draft wish list then there's something wrong.

Stevie/Draper have yet to pick a center in the second or 3rd round.
Guess it depends if he’s Brandon Saad, or if he’s Justin Abdelkader… lol

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Niederbach is a natural C but many centers end up on the wing for one reason or another.
I don't think he's a natural center. A lot of juniors coaches put their best forward in that spot and they migrate to wing as they move to higher leagues. A good proportion of "centers" selected in the draft wind up being wingers if they make the NHL, which is another reason to select more of them.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I don't think he's a natural center. A lot of juniors coaches put their best forward in that spot and they migrate to wing as they move to higher leagues. A good proportion of "centers" selected in the draft wind up being wingers if they make the NHL, which is another reason to select more of them.
Just because you don’t think a kid will pan out at center doesn’t mean that they weren’t drafted as one.

Reactions: simonedvinsson

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Guess it depends if he’s Brandon Saad, or if he’s Justin Abdelkader… lol

Even Abby would be selected in the first round in a redraft, but it should not be a priority. I assume they picked him because they felt he had the best chance to become an NHLer, however there are way more kids with higher upside that fill a position of need.

You figure a kid like Goyette will at least be an AHLer, and help out GR even if he doesn't make the NHL. Cossa is going to struggle in GR simply because the team will suck with no centers. Draper and Stevie need to start factoring that into the equation, Cossa is gonna get wrecked before he even starts a single NHL game. Hopefully he's strong enough mentally to handle it.

Just because you don’t think a kid will pan out at center doesn’t mean that they weren’t drafted as one.
OK, but at this point we know he isn't one, so the team should be compensating for that instead of picking more wingers.

Who's going to center GR in the next couple of years? Re-sign Crisco? Cossa is gonna get wrecked.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Even Abby would be selected in the first round in a redraft, but it should not be a priority. I assume they picked him because they felt he had the best chance to become an NHLer, however there are way more kids with higher upside that fill a position of need.

You figure a kid like Goyette will at least be an AHLer, and help out GR even if he doesn't make the NHL. Cossa is going to struggle in GR simply because the team will suck with no centers. Draper and Stevie need to start factoring that into the equation, Cossa is gonna get wrecked before he even starts a single NHL game. Hopefully he's strong enough mentally to handle it.

OK, but at this point we know he isn't one, so the team should be compensating for that instead of picking more wingers.

Who's going to center GR in the next couple of years? Re-sign Crisco? Cossa is gonna get wrecked.

I’m expecting Mastrosimone, Mazur, Niederbach to turn pro or come stateside and the team will try to play them at center in GR.

It’s part of development. Whether they succeed or not.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
You'd think that people would be like, okay, I was completely wrong about Carter Mazur last year. Maybe the next time the Wings use an earlier pick on a gritty LW from the USHL, I'll wait to see how it pans out.

maybe if things go well this guy can be 6th in scoring on his NCAA team in his D+2 year too(Mazur was an overager)

exciting stuff!

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
maybe if things go well this guy can be 6th in scoring on his NCAA team in his D+2 year too(Mazur was an overager)

exciting stuff!

Rest assured, nobody will ever be allowed to have a positive thought about the Red Wings so long as you live. You must take comfort in knowing that.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

DoMakc

Jun 28, 2006

Yeah, let's pick up AHL C before players wings with NHL potential, a very sound strategy. I think I'd rather have Draper running the draft than you, sorry.

People tend to pick Wheeler/Pronman/McKenzie list and assume that's everyones'. I'm pretty sure Yzerman and Co don't more than a half of those names on their list just because they might be not rate their competitiveness/hockey sense/speed/etc. E.g. black book rates Del Bel Belluz' compete as average, if Red Wings have the same assessment I assume he is a no draft for them. It's already a third draft under Yzerman, people should slowly understand how he operates. He is not going by everybody's list and for me that are good news, because if you want to draft players everybody's aware of you are going to be late.

But in the end the same posters will be complaining draft after draft about lower selections and a year later say, that a third round pick is still garbage, because that players is not in the NHL and there is at least one player who was picked later, but Wheeler had him higher and who had also a decent season.

Reactions: simonedvinsson

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Rest assured, nobody will ever be allowed to have a positive thought about the Red Wings so long as you live. You must take comfort in knowing that.

I was super positive about the other 3 drafts Yzerman has had in Detroit other than a few picks here and there like Tuomisto

sorry i'm too at odds with this year philosophically to like it

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Yeah, let's pick up AHL C before players wings with NHL potential, a very sound strategy. I think I'd rather have Draper running the draft than you, sorry.

People tend to pick Wheeler/Pronman/McKenzie list and assume that's everyones'. I'm pretty sure Yzerman and Co don't more than a half of those names on their list just because they might be not rate their competitiveness/hockey sense/speed/etc. E.g. black book rates Del Bel Belluz' compete as average, if Red Wings have the same assessment I assume he is a no draft for them. It's already a third draft under Yzerman, people should slowly understand how he operates. He is not going by everybody's list and for me that are good news, because if you want to draft players everybody's aware of you are going to be late.

But in the end the same posters will be complaining draft after draft about lower selections and a year later say, that a third round pick is still garbage, because that players is not in the NHL and there is at least one player who was picked later, but Wheeler had him higher and who had also a decent season.
Who's to say Goyette's top end is AHL?

He's one of the fastest skaters in this draft and has good compete level despite being slightly undersized and playing for a garbage team. One of the youngest players on that team and finished with the most goals and points.

It might wind up being the difference between picking Helm (Goyette) and Abby (James), but one is more useful in GR than the other. I didn't say pick an AHLer, you're completely misconstruing my argument.

Look at what Francis is doing in Seattle, he's building through the middle as far as forwards go. The defensive prospects are looking a bit thin though. I'd like to see something in between, Stevie's defense and Francis' forward picks.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I was super positive about the other 3 drafts Yzerman has had in Detroit other than a few picks here and there like Tuomisto

sorry i'm too at odds with this year philosophically to like it

I think it was a really bad class for day 2 as a whole. Philosophy irrelevant, you could pick skilled players with warts that will never play up, or competitive kids lacking skill that will never play up.

DoMakc

Jun 28, 2006
Who's to say Goyette's top end is AHL?

He's one of the fastest skaters in this draft and has good compete level despite being slightly undersized and playing for a garbage team. One of the youngest players on that team and finished with the most goals and points.

It might wind up being the difference between picking Helm (Goyette) and Abby (James), but one is more useful in GR than the other. I didn't say pick an AHLer, you're completely misconstruing my argument.

Look at what Francis is doing in Seattle, he's building through the middle as far as forwards go. The defensive prospects are looking a bit thin though. I'd like to see something in between, Stevie's defense and Francis' forward picks.

I take Yzerman's history of drafting forwards before Francis' 10 times out of 10. And I take Abby before Helm, because Abby before injury could play in the top 6 and Helm was always a bottom 6 player.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I take Yzerman's history of drafting forwards before Francis' 10 times out of 10. And I take Abby before Helm, because Abby before injury could play in the top 6 and Helm was always a bottom 6 player.
Keep in mind Helm had couple of serious back injuries, and Abby was always a slow skater. Remember he was supposed to be 3C and the team switched him to wing because he was slow.

Helm before back injury blew people up. I'd take Helm just on that alone. He was also one of the fastest skaters in the league.

He's got a different staff now. Seattle's staff is a bit heavy on analytics, so there's definitely a stat watching element there, plus they have higher picks. But the philosophy of building the forward corps through the middle makes more sense, and is usually the route most teams take unless there's a generational talent like Ovechkin involved.

I also want to mention that Stevie's TB draft history in the top 2 rounds isn't all that great, with Kuch and Vaz being the only 2 great picks. He's actually done better in Detroit with the top pick, but the second rounders are all TBD. Plus in TB, he picked Cirelli and Point in the 3rd round and we need something similar done here.

Edit: Seems to me like you're judging Stevie with his current staff while judging Francis with his former staff which is not a valid comparison.

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

You tell me what’s more likely.

They picked what they think is a low upside player in round 2 (like you suggest),or they believe this kid has way more upside than people on HFBoards does.

Last edited:

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
You tell me what’s more likely.

They picked what they think is a low upside player in round 2 (like you suggest),or they believe this kid has way more upside than people on HFBoards does.
Interesting comment coming from the guy who wanted Necas over Raz. HFBoards is always wrong, lol.

I'd rather have Raty over Buium, and this draft I'd rather have Goyette over James. Not only because they fill a position of need but because they are better prospects with higher upside. We'll see how it pans out, Seattle picked Goyette so I'll be following him anyways.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Interesting comment coming from the guy who wanted Necas over Raz. HFBoards is always wrong, lol.

I'd rather have Raty over Buium, and this draft I'd rather have Goyette over James. Not only because they fill a position of need but because they are better prospects with higher upside. We'll see how it pans out, Seattle picked Goyette so I'll be following him anyways.
I mean, I’d like to see these receipts. Show me your rankings from previous years or who you had in our who would you have drafted the threads. Otherwise you’re just using hindsight and you can always find someone better than who we picked.

I liked a bunch of guys better than Mazur last year, but fast forward a year and I feel pretty good about having Mazur in our system. Could be literally the same thing with this kid.

I don’t know how people follow the draft every year and fall in the same pitfalls over and over. A bunch of guys we passed on you think had better upside also have some flaws in their game too. Goyette made it to 61, I would have taken him at 40 or 53, but I’m guessing teams are questioning 1) if he’s a center long term 2) his overall IQ 3) his poor u18s.

Just because you’re not as familiar with a player doesn’t make them bad.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I mean, I’d like to see these receipts. Show me your rankings from previous years or who you had in our who would you have drafted the threads. Otherwise you’re just using hindsight and you can always find someone better than who we picked.

I liked a bunch of guys better than Mazur last year, but fast forward a year and I feel pretty good about having Mazur in our system. Could be literally the same thing with this kid.

I don’t know how people follow the draft every year and fall in the same pitfalls over and over. A bunch of guys we passed on you think had better upside also have some flaws in their game too. Goyette made it to 61, I would have taken him at 40 or 53, but I’m guessing teams are questioning 1) if he’s a center long term 2) his overall IQ 3) his poor u18s.

Just because you’re not as familiar with a player doesn’t make them bad.
It's not hindsight if I'm calling it out when it happens. I mentioned Raty last draft, and now I'm saying it about Goyette. Just like you did with Raz/Necas. Anyone that mentions it now is obviously hindsight.

I didn't make a list this draft because I knew it was going to be a FOMO pick just like last draft. I called that. All I'm saying is I've got Goyette over James, and only time will tell. Same as you did with Necas. Really odd argument coming from you since I gave you props for that call, you're only one out of 2 posters that said it right after Raz was selected.

I'm just posting it now to go on record like you did. We'll see in 3 or 4 years how it pans out, maybe they both make the NHL.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
It's not hindsight if I'm calling it out when it happens. I mentioned Raty last draft, and now I'm saying it about Goyette. Just like you did with Raz/Necas. Anyone that mentions it now is obviously hindsight.

I didn't make a list this draft because I knew it was going to be a FOMO pick just like last draft. I called that. All I'm saying is I've got Goyette over James, and only time will tell. Same as you did with Necas. Really odd argument coming from you since I gave you props for that call, you're only one out of 2 posters that said it right after Raz was selected.
I get where you’re coming from to a degree, I appreciate getting some props, I just know when you participate in that who would you have drafted thread and you pick 1 player per slot instead of just saying “I like players a, b, c” it humbles you and you realize you will get it wrong a lot just like they do.

That’s all I’m trying to say, I may not be doing the best job getting that point across I guess.

I am with you in liking Goyette a lot, I had him ranked as a late 1st rounder. I guess I am more willing to overlook some of his flaws than the NHL teams that pretty much all chose to pass on him twice.

I haven’t seen this kid we drafted (James) play at all, but he actually has a pretty good resume (IMO), and I am willing to give them a little more benefit of the doubt than I guess a lot of others are.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I get where you’re coming from to a degree, I appreciate getting some props, I just know when you participate in that who would you have drafted thread and you pick 1 player per slot instead of just saying “I like players a, b, c” it humbles you and you realize you will get it wrong a lot just like they do.

That’s all I’m trying to say, I may not be doing the best job getting that point across I guess.

I am with you in liking Goyette a lot, I had him ranked as a late 1st rounder. I guess I am more willing to overlook some of his flaws than the NHL teams that pretty much all chose to pass on him twice.

I haven’t seen this kid we drafted (James) play at all, but he actually has a pretty good resume (IMO), and I am willing to give them a little more benefit of the doubt than I guess a lot of others are.
You don't need to make an entire list to say player A over player B if they were both available at the pick.

Raz and Necas were both available at #9, James and Goyette were both available at #40.

I'm just going on record so that people don't say it's hindsight 3 years from now. It's absurd to call it hindsight when nothing has changed in the past 2 days, lol.

Reactions: Frk It

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad