Rumor: 4 teams, including Montreal, have made Gardiner an offer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I tend to ask Leafs fans a certain question when it comes to Gardiner: "How come the Leafs allow much fewer goals with Gardiner on the ice each year over his 7 year career here, if he's horrible defensively?"

I've still not gotten an actual answer. People generally just tell me I'm an idiot and mock me for using "advanced stats", which nowadays somehow includes goals.

It's an interesting question though. I usually go with that teams feel so sorry for him for being so absolutely clueless in his own zone that they decide not to score goals, out of pity.

I always liked him as a leafs fan but man he could drive ya nuts sometimes. Regardless he’d be the habs best left hand defenseman and I bet he’d look awfully good next to Weber both at even strength and PP
Those two would complement each other so perfectly that it wouldn't surprise me if they were one of the league's best pairings.

Reactions: CDN24 and Pia8988

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Some Leafs posters would like to see Montreal burn, it's as simple. When reaching that Domi/Kotka/Suzuki/Poelhing/Danault is a terrible future C depth/Domi is a 3rd line C, you can tell they're just troll hating.
I've been a fan of Montreals team for years now. Outside their depth on defense, it's filled with good players. I'm also a big fan of Petry and Gallagher, and Weber's demise has been hugely overstated. As so often, the drop in ability for top players who aren't quite trophy contenders anymore is overstated.

Reactions: CDN24

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
You Leaf fans and your points, so how many points does each of your star Leaf players have to get to win a Stanley Cup :laugh: or better yet to even get past the first round :huh:
Yeah silly fans thinking a hockey player getting points matter. It is okay to just admit you are wrong.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
I tend to ask Leafs fans a certain question when it comes to Gardiner: "How come the Leafs allow much fewer goals with Gardiner on the ice each year over his 7 year career here, if he's horrible defensively?"

I've still not gotten an actual answer. People generally just tell me I'm an idiot and mock me for using "advanced stats", which nowadays somehow includes goals.

It's an interesting question though. I usually go with that teams feel so sorry for him for being so absolutely clueless in his own zone that they decide not to score goals, out of pity.

Those two would complement each other so perfectly that it wouldn't surprise me if they were one of the league's best pairings.

That is the thing, he gets scored on less than his d teammates- he isn't that bad. It is like Larry murphy all over again. The guy if healthy can play. The back scares me on a LT deal but his defense is fine. he has a few lapses but most do and a guy like Weber as a partner helps prevent or maker up for those.

Reactions: Nithoniniel

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
That is the thing, he gets scored on less than his d teammates- he isn't that bad. It is like Larry murphy all over again. The guy if healthy can play. The back scares me on a LT deal but his defense is fine. he has a few lapses but most do and a guy like Weber as a partner helps prevent or maker up for those.

He's a good player but like every other D in Toronto...he makes one bad play and it's all over the news and trending on Twitter.

It's been a long, long time since the Leafs last had a good core of D. We're still not there yet so the guys who do the heavy lifting get criticized when they make bad plays either due to fatigue or having to carry a shitty partner.

Rielly's been doing it since he was drafted and Gardiner has been doing the same for much of his career with the Leafs. They couldn't afford to put those two together because the line up behind them was garbage.

Gardiner is a good D. He reminds me of Stralman from a couple years ago. A good fit on most teams.

janesy12

Leafs Nation
Aug 27, 2010
Newfoundland
Gardiner has stretches of games where he's a fantastic top 4 dman. He can win you games and I think he'd look great next to a sturdy partner. The problem with him is he'll then make a play that will make zero sense, resulting in a goal. Then it just goes downhill from there. Mistake after mistake.
No doubt the Leafs will miss him, but I think it's best for both parties if he just move on.

I think he'd be a great fit in Montreal. Just hope you don't get into a game 7 with him. In 3 game 7's against the Bruins he's a collective -10.
2013: 0G 1A -2
2018: 0G 1A -5
2019: 0G 0A -3

Aug 25, 2009
éal
Please, please can he be a no show with 6pts in 7 games.
really, you guys are satisfied with Matthews performance in the playoff? ok

as for Gardiner, I dont see any spot left on the defence. Maybe an injury occur and we have to start without one of Chiarot, Mete or Kulak. Then I can definitely see it happening.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
To be completely honest, Gardiner paired with a guy as solid defensively as Weber would actually look very good.

This is the only reason I wouldn't mind seeing him given a shot
However if management does take a chance, I hope it's no longer than a 3 year deal. That's the max I'd do

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Yes because Montreal is in the picture. If it was any other team it would be a different story.

Uh, many Leaf fans have been saying for YEARS that Gardiner is not that good. Sure some point to advanced stats because they don't like watching hockey but prefer math instead, but anyone who has watched Gardiner screw up over & over & over at key moments in his career, know the truth.

Here's hoping Montreal grabs him for one more try. They should pay him 6 million/year for 3 years. Something like that. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad