Rumor: 4 teams, including Montreal, have made Gardiner an offer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Uh, many Leaf fans have been saying for YEARS that Gardiner is not that good. Sure some point to advanced stats because they don't like watching hockey but prefer math instead, but anyone who has watched Gardiner screw up over & over & over at key moments in his career, know the truth.

Here's hoping Montreal grabs him for one more try. They should pay him 6 million/year for 3 years. Something like that. :)
There's nothing advanced about goals against. And of all the NHL-interested people I know, those heavily invested in statistical analysis watch way more games than the other group. You don't bother with it if you're not passionate, and if you are passionate you watch all the hockey you can get your hands on.

Reactions: Help

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
He's so much better than his reputation on HF. Any team would be happy to have him.
He is. He's not perfect, no player is. But he is a terrific puck mover, his positives outweigh his negatives. I am glad he will get a fresh start. Hopefully he goes to a city that will appreciate him.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Gardiner would be a great pick up for the Habs IMHO, especially if he's put next to a guy like Weber.

The reason Gardiner has had back issues this year was because of all the lousy partners he's had to carry for years.

Zaitsev
Carrick
Polak
Corrado
Robidas
Holzer
Franson
Phaneuf

You can't make that list up folks, those were his most consistent partners the last 5 years.

Reactions: Slashers98

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
There's nothing advanced about goals against. And of all the NHL-interested people I know, those heavily invested in statistical analysis watch way more games than the other group. You don't bother with it if you're not passionate, and if you are passionate you watch all the hockey you can get your hands on.

Nah, "advanced stats" are for Nerds. :)

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Gardiner has stretches of games where he's a fantastic top 4 dman. He can win you games and I think he'd look great next to a sturdy partner. The problem with him is he'll then make a play that will make zero sense, resulting in a goal. Then it just goes downhill from there. Mistake after mistake.
No doubt the Leafs will miss him, but I think it's best for both parties if he just move on.

I think he'd be a great fit in Montreal. Just hope you don't get into a game 7 with him. In 3 game 7's against the Bruins he's a collective -10.
2013: 0G 1A -2
2018: 0G 1A -5
2019: 0G 0A -3

So your saying if Montreal signs him, just beat the Bruins in 6? Easy enough

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
really, you guys are satisfied with Matthews performance in the playoff? ok

as for Gardiner, I dont see any spot left on the defence. Maybe an injury occur and we have to start without one of Chiarot, Mete or Kulak. Then I can definitely see it happening.

Can't Montreal REALLY not make space for Gardiner out of Chiarot, Mete or Kulak????

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Gardiner has stretches of games where he's a fantastic top 4 dman. He can win you games and I think he'd look great next to a sturdy partner. The problem with him is he'll then make a play that will make zero sense, resulting in a goal. Then it just goes downhill from there. Mistake after mistake.
No doubt the Leafs will miss him, but I think it's best for both parties if he just move on.

I think he'd be a great fit in Montreal. Just hope you don't get into a game 7 with him. In 3 game 7's against the Bruins he's a collective -10.
2013: 0G 1A -2
2018: 0G 1A -5
2019: 0G 0A -3

Lets look a bit closer at the 2019 -3

last one is an EN, hard to fault anyone in that scenario

Lots of blame to go around on the 1st one.
AM34 causes a turnover but gives it right back with a lazy swipe back to Blue line to d-man matt Grezlyck, Then AM34, Dermott and johnnson chase grezlyck into the corner. (3 on 1) they kinda leave Gardiner and other leaf fwd to deal with the other 4 bruins. Neither gets close enough to prevent grezlyck from passing puck to Nordstrom at side of net. he then scores between goalie and the post.
Gardiner is a bit in no mans land but that is more a function having 2 leafs to cover 4 guys cause 3 chased into the corner. Andersson should not let that shot in, 3 guys should not be chasing one and not preventing the pass and Matthews makes a bad play sweeping it to the point after his good play to break up initial attack.

Goal 2

Gardiner has puck in corner, Bruins 83 is pressuring him. Seems to be trying to reverse it and just kind of loses it. Its a bad play but not critical yet. If his centre was behind him supporting him to give him a second option no issue. He only had one option to d partner going behind net as matthews is our in no mans land in the slot. Passing it out there would have been a bone headed play.

Bruins recover puck, matthews to front of net and gets tied up with coyle creating a great screen, all other leafs are caught on wrong side of matthews and coyle allowing marcus johannsson to skate it out of corner to slot and score.

Matthews is as much to blame on either of those goals as Gardiner.

Reactions: Burke the Legend

HockeyPeriod

Sep 7, 2005
Waterloo
If the Habs can get him signed on a 3 year deal for cheap, they should definitely do so. Then trade Mete while his value is high.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
You guys haven’t won a playoff series in the salary cap era. :laugh:

I don't even understand these chirps. Are you under the impression that Leafs fans think the team has been good in the cap era?

Things are looking pretty good lately though, so why would we lose sleep over the past?

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
Lol your leaf bashing is pathetic. Even your disguised garbage attempts

I'm not sure I remember the last TWS comment to not include a thinly veiled (or just explicit) shot at the Leafs. He's obsessed.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Can't Montreal REALLY not make space for Gardiner out of Chiarot, Mete or Kulak????

Seriously...HFboards lol. Neither Kulak, Mete nor Reilly have proven they are legit NHlers yet. Habs need another proven NHL vet LD and then those 3 will be in competition for a single spot on the opening day starting lineup. One will start in the top 6, two will start in the AHL. They'll all get more chances after that to earn a NHL roster spot but that's how it goes.

Reactions: abo9 and CDN24

Madap

May 24, 2019
Toronto, ON, Canada
I tend to ask Leafs fans a certain question when it comes to Gardiner: "How come the Leafs allow much fewer goals with Gardiner on the ice each year over his 7 year career here, if he's horrible defensively?"

I've still not gotten an actual answer. People generally just tell me I'm an idiot and mock me for using "advanced stats", which nowadays somehow includes goals.

It's an interesting question though. I usually go with that teams feel so sorry for him for being so absolutely clueless in his own zone that they decide not to score goals, out of pity.

Those two would complement each other so perfectly that it wouldn't surprise me if they were one of the league's best pairings.
I don't think that most unbiased leaf fans would say he's horrible defensively. As you say, the stats don't support that.

However, I don't see how you can deny that he makes the most boneheaded plays. I know every defenceman does sometimes, but with Gardiner it is once every single game. I find it to be completely unacceptable for an NHL defenceman. Sure, over the course of the season, on average, he's better than most. But come playoff time, on a game-to-game basis, you need someone reliable and Gardiner is not that.

I'd honestly rather have a slightly worse defenceman who is at least consistent. The coaches and players can adjust their strategy accordingly to accommodate a defenceman who has less puck moving abilities. However if the players expect Gardiner to make great passes and breakout early or something, and then he completely whiffs on the puck and gives it away in front of the net, we stand no chance.

I really do like Gardiner, and hope the best for him. He's just not a good fit for the leafs. If you're really questioning why leafs fan give him a hard time, then it is consistency. If he was a forward, those same mistakes are generally far less costly but as a defenceman, its not a good trait to have.

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
Gardiner definitely has poor awareness in his own zone. That shouldn't be up for debate.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
This late into the off season I'd be surprised if he signed for anything longer than a 1yr deal. It's obvious he and his camp have overvalued his worth from where the rest of the league sees him. He'll likely sign a 1yr deal with the team who gives him the best chance to play critical minutes and will try his luck again next off season. Just my opinion tho. Anything can happen.

Jigger77

Dec 21, 2007
Montreal
Inconceivable that Bergevin would make a savvy signing to improve his team? Yes, I buy that.

Default reaction is anything Bergevin does is terrible. They even have the avatars to match.

I would like for the Habs to sign Gardiner, he would help the PP and with a decent PP last year Montreal makes the playoffs. However the back issues scare me and he will be expensive and want term.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Seriously...HFboards lol. Neither Kulak, Mete nor Reilly have proven they are legit NHlers yet. Habs need another proven NHL vet LD and then those 3 will be in competition for a single spot on the opening day starting lineup. One will start in the top 6, two will start in the AHL. They'll all get more chances after that to earn a NHL roster spot but that's how it goes.

I said it last year and it might be too late to do that but I would have loved Mete to play in the AHL... not sure how good those 2 years were for his development/confidence...

Funny part is that Kulak and Reilly are 25/26. They're not even prospects at this point and everybody in the league knows they are bottom pairing guys at best. Mete at least is still young and could improve as a 2nd pairing guy, which I would be pretty happy if he does.

Aug 25, 2009
éal
Who do you sit?

The teenager who made the NHL as a 19 years old and played on the 1st pairing last season, leading team in +/- amongst dman?
The 24 year old who have shwon the biggest progression, jumping from 8 points in 71 games to 17 in 57 games
Or the guy you just signed to a 3y ears contract?

None of them are top pairing dman, but none of them should be in the pressbox on a regular basis neither.

Good news is Gardiner is still available, and probably won't sign until october. That give us plenty of time to take another look at our D. Maybe they have a setback. Maybe someone get hurt. Then Gardiner get a phone call for sure. But right now, I see no point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad