Status
Not open for further replies.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Handsome B. Wonderful said:
The Caps dominated the first 9 minutes.

After that it was pretty equal.

I just can't believe the Capitals are actually trying.

Hell I'm suprised they bothered to dress a golie...

Yeats has been solid.

Pens outworked all period.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
The Caps dominated the first 9 minutes.

After that it was pretty equal.

I just can't believe the Capitals are actually trying.

Hell I'm suprised they bothered to dress a golie...

gasp... I guess that blows your, we are tanking idea out of the window.

IF they were trying to tank, Semin'd be in the stands.

SwOOsh*

EroCaps said:
If you're looking for a shameful tank job, look no further than the Pens tonight...I haven't seen such a half-hearted faux attempt at hockey all season, and I'm a Caps fan...

:gman:

JVR

HeadHitsAreNotIllega
Jul 17, 2002
Visit site
This thread is hilarious!

I guess Semin's English isn't pretty good yet and he didn't understand that he isn't supposed to score! :D

SwOOsh*

Another goal by the Caps! What a shameless act by the Penguins clearly "tanking" this game. Disgrace to the league.

roast

Mar 3, 2004
Pittsburgh
Pens have actually put togeather a pretty good run the past month and ahalf. Couldn't it just be the Pens are being outworked? Remember, they did have an 18 game winless streak for quite awhile. I think for them to make it back to within one point of 29th place is pretty decent.

SwOOsh*

Now teams are being outworked and not "tanking" when the Pens are losing and not the Caps. Good job Pens fans keep up the hypocrite act, shameless job "tanking" once again done by the Pens.

CapsIntensity68

May 1, 2002
Visit site
I don't know what to think. Its a Catch 22, if Pittsburgh wins they increase their chances of getting Ove by all but locking up last place, but they probably will get him no matter if they end up in last or second to last because the NHL loves the Penguins and hates the Capitals.

roast

Mar 3, 2004
Pittsburgh
say it all you want, but if they wanted to tank, Chiodo and Brochu would be here (kind of like what the caps are doing with their goalies). Aubin and Caron would be in the minors along with Koltsov, Orpik, and Malone. I say it again, 18 game winless streak and now within 1 pt of the caps.....doesn't sound like a tank job to me :dunno: . I was at the game against the Sabres in Pittsburgh, and they played their asses off to get a 2-2 tie. They could have easily thrown that one away after being down 2-0. However, starting an ECHL goalie with a bunch of no-name AHLers isn't tanking? I know you will believe that Chiodo is the best of the 4, however he played pretty ****** before he got sent down. I think his final game was a 9-4 loss to Nashville in which Steven Sullivan Tortured him.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
roast said:
say it all you want, but if they wanted to tank, Chiodo and Brochu would be here (kind of like what the caps are doing with their goalies). Aubin and Caron would be in the minors along with Koltsov, Orpik, and Malone. I say it again, 18 game winless streak and now within 1 pt of the caps.....doesn't sound like a tank job to me :dunno: . I was at the game against the Sabres in Pittsburgh, and they played their asses off to get a 2-2 tie. They could have easily thrown that one away after being down 2-0. However, starting an ECHL goalie with a bunch of no-name AHLers isn't tanking?

Upset our AHL'ers are better than yours????

haha. Aulin must have got the memo, Yeats has looked ok in the few shots he's faced.

SwOOsh*

roast said:
say it all you want, but if they wanted to tank, Chiodo and Brochu would be here (kind of like what the caps are doing with their goalies). Aubin and Caron would be in the minors along with Koltsov, Orpik, and Malone. I say it again, 18 game winless streak and now within 1 pt of the caps.....doesn't sound like a tank job to me :dunno: . I was at the game against the Sabres in Pittsburgh, and they played their asses off to get a 2-2 tie. They could have easily thrown that one away after being down 2-0. However, starting an ECHL goalie with a bunch of no-name AHLers isn't tanking? I know you will believe that Chiodo is the best of the 4, however he played pretty ****** before he got sent down. I think his final game was a 9-4 loss to Nashville in which Steven Sullivan Tortured him.

Funny thing is that your management took very similar steps in "tanking" as ours, yet we get bombarded with accusations of "tanking" because we are actually losing as we have been outplayed game after game. On the other hand your teams "moves" seemed to backfire so your all holy and self-righteous, good job. Chiodo was 3-4-1 on a terrible team and he was sent down, don't give me he was the worse goalie, he played one bad game and then they had an excuse to send him down.

roast

Mar 3, 2004
Pittsburgh
If you mean the pens tanking was having to unload all their stars to teams such as yours becuase they couldn't afford them? There is a clear difference here. The pens could not afford Francis, Jagr, Straka, Lang, Boughner, Kasparitis, etc. The caps have / had the deep pockets. Everyone KNEW the pens would be a bad team this year. They have a few legit NHLers on their roster, from the getgo this season. Yet when the caps management decides to embrace the "youth movement" by dumping the entire team it doesn't throw up a flag? The pens have suffered with it for 3 years now. After the new CBA (assuming its favoriable) they'll be back up at the top. The caps obviously have some talent...especially Oullet, who should be playing right now along with Kolzig.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Wait, We dump rosters in one year, not over the course of what, the past 3?

And we're tanking!?!?!

Just because you guys haven't been able to win the Lottery pick the last couple doesn't mean you aren't trying to win it this time.

SwOOsh*

I guess people expected that since are team wasn't playing well with stars and we were out of the playoff race by a large margin with a "salary cap" possible next season, that when we decided it would be in the best interest of the team to re-build that the young, unexperienced players should play better then the "stars". OK I understand now :joker: :joker: :joker: :joker: :joker: :joker:

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Chimaera said:

And we're tanking!?!?!

Just because you guys haven't been able to win the Lottery pick the last couple doesn't mean you aren't trying to win it this time.

No, you're tanking because your starting goalie is barely ECHL calibur while you have an All-Star sitting on the bench.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
And one thing that really does need to point out here.

5 weeks ago there was a 22 point difference between the Penguins and the Capitals.

Now it's a 1 point difference.

Pens sure are tanking :speechles

SwOOsh*

No, you're tanking because your starting goalie is barely ECHL calibur while you have an All-Star sitting on the bench.

But that ECHL goalie is playing well. :joker: Maybe he is a hidden gem in our deep goaltending prospect pool :joker:

Last edited by a moderator:

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Chimaera said:

And we're tanking!?!?!

We had to trade all our star players off due to financial reasons...not because we were trying to tank. Why the Caps couldn't win with all their star players is beyond me.

Any of us would love to have Jagr, Kovalev, Straka, Kasparaitis, and Lang back instead of sitting here at the bottom of the nhl and watching other teams in the playoffs for the 3rd year in a row.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
This thread went pointless.

A pet peave of mine is referring to someone's favorite team as "their" team. "Your" team is tanking, "my" team isn't.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Either way...

"All-Star" or not, Olie's not at the form he was in the past. Did you watch him earlier this year? I'm not defending Yeats playing, because he shouldn't sniff the ice at anytime.

And that was a pretty bad game on both sides.

I've said from the beginning, I like Ovechkin, but I won't complain if the Caps add either Malkin or Ovechkin.

And as for why the Caps couldn't win with the talent they had, it's a combination of poor coaching, poor defense, and players playing poorly. It makes sense, why pay for a team that isn't playing well, if it would take a good 5-10 million to make your team better. While still losing money. Blow it up and start over.

There's a difference between tanking and rebuilding.

I'm not sure how either team is in the clear in this one. Though on each team, whether the front office wants them to send it in or not, there are players who still have heart.

On that note, I'd love for Leonsis to pony up some dough for Jackman. See if he could steal him away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad