4 teams are figthing for the 1st overall:

Status
Not open for further replies.

roast

Mar 3, 2004
Pittsburgh
b-mad said:
That's exactly why they shouldn't win it.....they've already gotten their 2 offensive studs (both of which are better than anything Wash has). CLB needs to finsh 3-4 and grab Barker for that team and give a team like Wash (who's fan base has never had a franchise guy....PIT's had 2 over the last 20 years, and CHI just doesn't desrve it because of mgmt....besides, Wirtz would never put in the $$ to put a decent team around him and I really don't want to see someone of that talent wasted on a lame team, which he would in PIT or CHI).

Can u tell I'm a Caps fan :) Truthfully though, I'd feel the same way if I wasn't.

I think your franchise guy was scott stevens before they let him walk away. Bondra is also a franchise guy, yet he was dumped for some picks / prospect. Jagr was also a "franchise" player, yet he could never make it in WSH because they wouldn't let him play the wide open style that he played in Pittsburgh.

The caps have a very strong crop of young players, while A.O. would certainly be good for Pittsburgh, Washington, Chi, etc.

Last edited:

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
slyc said:
4 teams are figthing for the 1st overall (re:Ovechkin).
Hum... we all tough Pittsburgh gonna get that pick but now Wash, CLB and Chicago are in the race. :shakehead

Actually the lottery odds have nothing to dowith it--it is all at the whim of the Hockey Gods....

They love to mock ...so NYR will win it...or Chicago (the reason if the Hawks won it would be that the Hockey Gods would NEVER let the Hawks win the CROSBY lotto in the next draft--so if the Hawks are destined to win 1 of the next 2 lottos--it would be this one;also Ovechkin is another Russian---of which the Hawksfans have been bitterly disapointed with in the supposed plums of the departed Mike Smith's 2000 draft =Yakubov and Vorobev--so there is some irony going on here --ie. "another Russian "---rather than give CROSBY =the NEXTKY to the Hawks in 2005,the Hockey Gods will mock the Hawks in this "tease" of a "coulda" and "if only")...of course the Hockey Gods could let NYR win BOTH the 2004 and 2005 lottos from the 5th position (no season/lock-out in 2004/05)... that would be a real kick in the teeth to the other bottom feeders--not to mention all 4 get shoved back 1 spot for 2 consecutive lottos iinthat scenario--methinks if this happens an investigation by the FBI would be called for since obviously the fix was in from the getgo for NYR to get the double ...

The Hockey Gods love neither WASH nor CBJ enough give them double lotto wins in the consecutive drafts--but a split for each (one wins lotto in 2004 and one in 2005) I suppose is possible,yet I sense there could be a lotto win in one of these 2 drafts from teams below #5 (ie where either moving up 4 affects none of the bottom 5 --or it leaves the #1 with the worst finishing team anyway)...

We shall all find out how the 2004 draft lotto plays out soon on April 6th...

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
hawksfan50 said:
Actually the lottery odds have nothing to dowith it--it is all at the whim of the Hockey Gods....

They love to mock ...so NYR will win it...or Chicago (the reason if the Hawks won it would be that the Hockey Gods would NEVER let the Hawks win the CROSBY lotto in the next draft--so if the Hawks are destined to win 1 of the next 2 lottos--it would be this one;also Ovechkin is another Russian---of which the Hawksfans have been bitterly disapointed with in the supposed plums of the departed Mike Smith's 2000 draft =Yakubov and Vorobev--so there is some irony going on here --ie. "another Russian "---rather than give CROSBY =the NEXTKY to the Hawks in 2005,the Hockey Gods will mock the Hawks in this "tease" of a "coulda" and "if only")...of course the Hockey Gods could let NYR win BOTH the 2004 and 2005 lottos from the 5th position (no season/lock-out in 2004/05)... that would be a real kick in the teeth to the other bottom feeders--not to mention all 4 get shoved back 1 spot for 2 consecutive lottos iinthat scenario--methinks if this happens an investigation by the FBI would be called for since obviously the fix was in from the getgo for NYR to get the double ...

The Hockey Gods love neither WASH nor CBJ enough give them double lotto wins in the consecutive drafts--but a split for each (one wins lotto in 2004 and one in 2005) I suppose is possible,yet I sense there could be a lotto win in one of these 2 drafts from teams below #5 (ie where either moving up 4 affects none of the bottom 5 --or it leaves the #1 with the worst finishing team anyway)...

Blue Jackets have never won a lottery. The Hockey gods have shown an early dislike for the franchise. Plus, John Buccigross
(SP, obviously), the ESPN guy, curesed up by saying that we would win the lottery.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/columns/story?columnist=buccigross_john&id=1768282

Last edited:

BrettNYR

Mar 26, 2004
Handsome B. Wonderful said:
Because the only way the Blueshirts get Ovechkin is from winning the lottery from the fifth spot, they're too far ahead of Pittsburgh, Washington, Columbus, and Chicago in the standings.
Yeah, but they could still get him if they continue to lose.

BigE

Mar 12, 2004
New York, NY
Handsome B. Wonderful said:
Factoring in teams outside of the bottom 5 winning the odds add up to...
30th............48.2%
29th........... 18.8%
28th........... 14.2%
27th........... 10.7%
26th............. 8.1%

What kind of funky math is that? :D Did you mean factoring out? If so, the calculations would be a little different.

Add up the percentages of the original top 5 (A). Then take the real percentage that each team holds(A1%,A2% etc.) of that combined number. Now factor out the other 9 teams and add their total (B) to the original 5 (A+B=C) total. Now you can use the real percentage(A1% of C, A2% of C) to do the math.

I'm not really sure what the point would be because that really doesn't give you an accurate look at much of anything. Although, there probably haven't been many teams that have won being outside of the top 5.

Lets hope the Rangers win it, although Phoenix needs to get off their slide. They're the worst team in hockey other than the Rangers, right now.

Special Ed

Oct 9, 2002
C'ville PA
Visit site
BigE said:
What kind of funky math is that? :D Did you mean factoring out? If so, the calculations would be a little different.

Add up the percentages of the original top 5 (A). Then take the real percentage that each team holds(A1%,A2% etc.) of that combined number. Now factor out the other 9 teams and add their total (B) to the original 5 (A+B=C) total. Now you can use the real percentage(A1% of C, A2% of C) to do the math.

I'm not really sure what the point would be because that really doesn't give you an accurate look at much of anything. Although, there probably haven't been many teams that have won being outside of the top 5.

Lets hope the Rangers win it, although Phoenix needs to get off their slide. They're the worst team in hockey other than the Rangers, right now.

Uh... no. See what happens is you add the percentage of all the lottery teams outside of the top five to the team with the worst record. Because if the worst team wins or any of the other teams outside of the top five wins, then the worst team gets the first pick. So his math is correct.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
FYI, the Caps have started Matt Yeats in goal for the second straight game. You know, the Matt Yeats who sits behind Olaf Kolzig, Maxime Ouellet, Sebastien Charpentier, Rastislav Stana, Maxime Daigneault, and Robert Gherson on the team's goalie depth chart. THAT Matt Yeats... it makes for a nice tanking strategy.

Some notes on the bottom feeders:

Columbus: 77 GP, 58 pts
Chicago: 77 GP, 58 pts
Washington: 77 GP, 55 pts
Pittsburgh: 78 GP, 53 Pts

Washington has a game in hand on Pittsburgh, but the Caps are playing Tampa Bay tonight, and that would be a stretch to see the Caps besting the league's top team in the standings.

Though Pittsburgh only has four games remaining, two of those are against Washington, including Tuesday night in Washington, and April 4th, the last game of the season, in Pittsburgh.

The Caps play Tampa Bay, Pittsburgh, Boston, NY Rangers, and Pittsburgh. It is worth noting that the potential deciding April 4th game against Pittsburgh is the second of back-to-back games for the Capitals. Three games are away, two are at home.

Pittsburgh plays Buffalo, Washington, Atlanta, and Washington. Two are at the igloo, two on the road, and tonight's game against Buffalo is the second of a back-to-back, home-and-home series with the Sabres. Pittsburgh lost to Buffalo last night.

Looks like the Caps should lose to Tampa Bay and Boston, could very well beat the Rangers, and the Pittsburgh games are toss-ups. Pittsburgh should be able to handle Atlanta, while the Buffalo and Washington games should be toss-ups.

Washington is 2-7-1-0 in its last ten games.
Pittsburgh is 7-2-1-0 in its last ten games.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Drake1588 said:
FYI, the Caps have started Matt Yeats in goal for the second straight game. You know, the Matt Yeats who sits behind Olaf Kolzig, Maxime Ouellet, Sebastien Charpentier, Rastislav Stana, Maxime Daigneault, and Robert Gherson on the team's goalie depth chart. THAT Matt Yeats... it makes for a nice tanking strategy.

Some notes on the bottom feeders:

Columbus: 77 GP, 58 pts
Chicago: 77 GP, 58 pts
Washington: 77 GP, 55 pts
Pittsburgh: 78 GP, 53 Pts

Washington has a game in hand on Pittsburgh, but the Caps are playing Tampa Bay tonight, and that would be a stretch to see the Caps besting the league's top team in the standings.

Though Pittsburgh only has four games remaining, two of those are against Washington, including Tuesday night in Washington, and April 4th, the last game of the season, in Pittsburgh.

The Caps play Tampa Bay, Pittsburgh, Boston, NY Rangers, and Pittsburgh. It is worth noting that the potential deciding April 4th game against Pittsburgh is the second of back-to-back games for the Capitals. Three games are away, two are at home.

Pittsburgh plays Buffalo, Washington, Atlanta, and Washington. Two are at the igloo, two on the road, and tonight's game against Buffalo is the second of a back-to-back, home-and-home series with the Sabres. Pittsburgh lost to Buffalo last night.

Looks like the Caps should lose to Tampa Bay and Boston, could very well beat the Rangers, and the Pittsburgh games are toss-ups. Pittsburgh should be able to handle Atlanta, while the Buffalo and Washington games should be toss-ups.

Washington is 2-7-1-0 in its last ten games.
Pittsburgh is 7-2-1-0 in its last ten games.

Chicago forces OT with Blues, = 1pt.

Caps lose to Ning' 4-1= 0pts

Pens tied up with Sabres, 4 min left

Jackets down 2-1, second intermission.

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
BigE said:

Am I the only one to think this NHL draft lottery system completely stinks?
I suggest that to define the first pick overall, we ask the 5 GM with the worst teams to throw darts live on TSN. The higher score gets the first overall pick.
No maths, no balls. Just good old eyes wrist coordination. And a pint of lager.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Columbus essentially has killed their chances of that 48.2% chance now with their win tonight.

The Jackets sit with 6 more points than the last place Penguins with the Penguins having only 3 games remaining.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I'm afraid Washington will win it.
It has to be the worst tanking since the Daigle fiasco.
I thought the rules meant that you had to put the best team on the ice?
Ah I guess I have to stop being bitter... it just bugs me to see The Penguins, Blue Jackets, Rangers and Hawks still trying, while the Caps simply don't.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Seriously. :)

Without question, the Caps are trying hard for last place, but the Penguins were the most notorious example of end-of-season draft place finagling since the Canadiens' Sam Pollock conducted a series of trades with the California Golden Seals, leading to the Canadiens' drafting of Guy Lafleur in 1971.

The Pens played a questionable series of goaltenders themselves, in lieu of their best options, en route to drafting Mario Lemieux in 1984.

Anyway, not only does the Capitals' fall have precedents, but it's the Penguins that most recently raised the bar!

In either event, both teams are going to draft a good player in the top five, so it should be good news for both clubs. We'll see at the lottery what happens. The last place team has missed out on the #1 overall pick for the last three years in a row.

stardog

Been on HF so long my Myspace link is part of my p
Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
b-mad said:
That's exactly why they shouldn't win it.....they've already gotten their 2 offensive studs (both of which are better than anything Wash has). CLB needs to finsh 3-4 and grab Barker for that team and give a team like Wash (who's fan base has never had a franchise guy....PIT's had 2 over the last 20 years, and CHI just doesn't desrve it because of mgmt....besides, Wirtz would never put in the $$ to put a decent team around him and I really don't want to see someone of that talent wasted on a lame team, which he would in PIT or CHI).

Can u tell I'm a Caps fan :) Truthfully though, I'd feel the same way if I wasn't.

Dear Lord....So much for objectivity and insight.... :dunno:

stardog

Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
Drake1588 said:

Without question, the Caps are trying hard for last place, but the Penguins were the most notorious example of end-of-season draft place finagling since the Canadiens' Sam Pollock conducted a series of trades with the California Golden Seals, leading to the Canadiens' drafting of Guy Lafleur in 1971.

The Pens played a questionable series of goaltenders themselves, in lieu of their best options, en route to drafting Mario Lemieux in 1984.

Anyway, not only does the Capitals' fall have precedents, but it's the Penguins that most recently raised the bar!

In either event, both teams are going to draft a good player in the top five, so it should be good news for both clubs. We'll see at the lottery what happens. The last place team has missed out on the #1 overall pick for the last three years in a row.

Just wait til the last game of the season...Rumor has it we are bringing Eddie Johnston out of retirement for that one. Either that or we pull the goalie the entire time ;)

As a poster on the Pens board said, this game has the potential for 20 goals....per team!

stardog

Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
Drake1588 said:

All true, all true. Currently, the Caps have no leg to stand on as an excuse for using, and starting Yeats. He is sixth on the depth chart. That totally stands out as a clear message that they are tanking this whole thing. There is absolutley no other reason for this. Several guys should be playing and getting the PT.
Whether it be the Pens of 84 or the Caps of today, it is a despicable showing of sportsmanship and ethics by management and if the NHL did something about it in reaction to the '84 Pens, they should also step in and look at the current Caps squad.
It is embarrassing to the sport IMO.

Hey, maybe I could be wrong and they truly want to evaluate Yeats. Maybe they have him higher on the depth chart than most do.
I certainly don't believe that is the case, but it COULD be.

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
I would like to see Ovechkin land in Pens. Not to Hawks or Caps because of their end-season emptying.

I tried to remember draft lottery history:

1995: LA won, went from 7th to 3rd
1996: Sens won and kept 1st
1997: Bruins won and kept 1st
1998: SJ won and climbed from 2nd to 1st (pick traded)
1999: Chi won, went from 8th to 4th
2000: NYI won from 5th
2001: Atl won from 3rd
2002 and 2003: Flo won from 3rd (both picks traded)

capsfandan

Feb 28, 2004
Mount Airy, Maryland
hawksfan50 said:

I would rather lose this year's lotto to win the Crosby-a-thon next year. :bow: :bow: :bow:

X-SHARKIE

Nothing against Capitals or the Blue Jackets, but I would like to see Ovechkin go to Pittsburgh, they really really really need him. Although I absolutly hate the owner down in Chicago I would love to see that franchise get a player like Ovechkin. I wouldn't mind seeing him go to New York, another franchise in need of somone like him.
Capts have 3 first round picks, I don't think they need Ovechkin nearly as bad as the Penguins do.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
X-SHARKIE said:
Nothing against Capitals or the Blue Jackets, but I would like to see Ovechkin go to Pittsburgh, they really really really need him. Although I absolutly hate the owner down in Chicago I would love to see that franchise get a player like Ovechkin. I wouldn't mind seeing him go to New York, another franchise in need of somone like him.
Capts have 3 first round picks, I don't think they need Ovechkin nearly as bad as the Penguins do.

The Caps haven't had a true franchise player since Stevens/Langway/(perhaps Hunter) left. The Pens have had several, and just drafted M.A Fleury. I think we're due.

SwOOsh*

stardog said:
All true, all true. Currently, the Caps have no leg to stand on as an excuse for using, and starting Yeats. He is sixth on the depth chart. That totally stands out as a clear message that they are tanking this whole thing. There is absolutley no other reason for this. Several guys should be playing and getting the PT.
Whether it be the Pens of 84 or the Caps of today, it is a despicable showing of sportsmanship and ethics by management and if the NHL did something about it in reaction to the '84 Pens, they should also step in and look at the current Caps squad.
It is embarrassing to the sport IMO.

Hey, maybe I could be wrong and they truly want to evaluate Yeats. Maybe they have him higher on the depth chart than most do.
I certainly don't believe that is the case, but it COULD be.

Yes, the Capitals are tanking and it does look like a bad thing to do. But, you cannot say the Penguins haven't tried to tank. They may have tried harder then Caps management to tank, but it backfired. I think it's more embarassing what the Penguins have done then the Caps.

roast

Mar 3, 2004
Pittsburgh
How have the pens tanked recently? They traded star players becuase they couldn't afford to pay them, not becuase the team they had sucked even with a high payroll. The caps fans cry they have had no franchise players...what is Kolzig? You get Jagr and Lang and yet still can't put togeather a winning team? The caps have 3 first rounders....use those to build your franchise with.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
EroCaps said:
The Caps haven't had a true franchise player since Stevens/Langway/(perhaps Hunter) left. The Pens have had several, and just drafted M.A Fleury. I think we're due.

What the hell were Jagr and Bondra?

Even Kolzig, the franchise was built around him for years.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
SwOOsh said:
Yes, the Capitals are tanking and it does look like a bad thing to do. But, you cannot say the Penguins haven't tried to tank. They may have tried harder then Caps management to tank, but it backfired. I think it's more embarassing what the Penguins have done then the Caps.

What?

We've been icing what has been called a AHL roster all year and are playing amazing hockey. The team hasn't given less than 100% all season long. We've iced the best team we can all season.

The Capitals on the other hand have had 4 stars on their roster this season and still haven't been able to do crap and now they're icing an ECHL team despite having much better talent in the AHL than they're using.

What the Caps are doing is shameless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad