4 teams are figthing for the 1st overall:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
EroCaps said:
The Caps haven't had a true franchise player since Stevens/Langway/(perhaps Hunter) left. The Pens have had several, and just drafted M.A Fleury. I think we're due.

Why are the Caps due anything? Do the Hockey Gods owe them something and I'm not aware of it?

The Caps had two franchise players in Jagr/Bondra, and traded both of them.

You want anyone to feel sorry for the Caps because Leonis went on a huge spending spree and it didn't work out?

Then in the most repulsive firesale the league has ever seen, he cleans house.

Leonis got what he deserved in my opinion.

It is painfully obvious they are tanking the season. It is really a disgrace to the league.

At least the Pens are playing legit NHL goaltenders. They also could of moved Tarnstrom and Morozov at the deadline, to further weaken the team, but Patrick chose not to.

Both players have had a huge impact on the Pens winning streak.

Of all the teams in the lottery, the Caps deserve the 1st overall the least. This includes the Rangers.

Chi, Col and the Pens are all playing with heart, and if the Pens don't win the lottery, I hope Col or Chi wins it.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Handsome B. Wonderful said:
What the hell were Jagr and Bondra?

Even Kolzig, the franchise was built around him for years.

Why is everyone so angry?

McPhee blew up the team with the intention of re-building. Jagr was a bad fit, (IMO a bad fit anywhere), and the remaining players lacked the chemistry to contend. Why tool around for 2-3 years waiting for your core players to lose their trade value?

Nylander was a UFA, Gonchar wouldn't have fit the mode as an older offensive defenseman, Kono wanted out, Carter and Grier brought back very good-good prospects, Lang wanted out and was too old, and Bondra deserved a shot at a Cup and may be back.

After we blew a 2-0 series lead to Tampa at home last April, it became painfully obvious to Leonsis at the hockey world that the only way for our team "could" compete with our core of players was to drop another 10-15 million on free agents. For a team losing 20 mill. that scenario became totally redundant.

As for our current squad, they aren't tanking intentionally, they're just that bad. They've exhibited more effort than I've seen as a Caps fan in three years. Calling up Yeats and playing second-tier rookies kills two birds with one stone. McPhee wants Portland to make the playoffs, and give some guys who'd never see the opportunity a chance to play at the NHL level. I'm sure Ovechkin figures in there somewhere, but not centrifugally.

And it's not like we've won anything. Pitt fans need to relax, if our luck stands, we're looking at #2 or #3.

roast

Mar 3, 2004
Pittsburgh
People get pissed about the claim that Washington never had a franchise player. Kolzig, Bondra, Stevens, Jagr, Lang, etc all were / are franchise players. He decidede to "blow up" the team when it was painfully obvious they weren't winning with a huge payroll, not go with "a youth movement". sure, Semin and company where getting some playing time. I don't think anyone thought caps and rebuilding were go togeather this season.

Marshall

A ribbon reflector
Mar 13, 2002
Crystal Koons' cold, dead eyes.
twitter.com
roast said:
People get pissed about the claim that Washington never had a franchise player. Kolzig, Bondra, Stevens, Jagr, Lang, etc all were / are franchise players.

Jagr and Stevens are the only franchise players on that list. Kolzig, Bondra and Lang are all very good players, but calling them franchise players is a mistake.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
There are teams in the NHL with the right to show contempt for the Caps for tanking the season. The Penguins are not one of them. Show a little institutional memory and harken back 20 years, please. The Penguins' Mario gambit in 1984 taught the Caps everything they know about tanking to try and draft a franchise player.

PSUhockey34

Jun 22, 2003
Austin,TX
X-SHARKIE said:
Capts have 3 first round picks, I don't think they need Ovechkin nearly as bad as the Penguins do.

Worst reason ever why the caps dont deserve Ovechkin...if he turns out be the player he is being hyped to be, then every team in the NHL deserves a player like that b/c it brings excitment to their fans

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
The Penguins tanked back in 1984, there's no doubt about it, but this isn't the same team. The only people still in the organization from that era are a couple players as scouts.

It was classless no doubt and I'm not proud of it. But that doesn't make what Washington is doing any better.

I have a huge problem with tanking. I have no problem with rebuilding, I actually admire Washington for just admitting it didn't work and starting over, but I do have a problem with the team they're icing.

I have little doubt in my mind the Portland Pirates would beat the Washington Capitals right now.

Calling up Yeats as an emergency call-up is one thing, using him as a starter is a whole other story.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
:) On that I certainly think we can agree, but blame the system that makes it a viable strategy, not the franchise for exploiting it. People have a problem with the way Jacques Lemaire preaches the trap, and I have a problem with that criticism for the same reason. He's merely exploiting the system; change that very system if it's a problem. If the league has a problem with tanking, perhaps they should rethink the draft lottery.

For what it's worth, it appears from hints in the papers that Mario Lemieux, wearing his owner's hat, is not altogether happy about his team's recent record.

PSUhockey34

Jun 22, 2003
Austin,TX
Drake1588 said:
:) On that I certainly think we can agree, but blame the system that makes it a viable strategy, not the franchise for exploiting it. People have a problem with the way Jacques Lemaire preaches the trap, and I have a problem with that criticism for the same reason. He's merely exploiting the system; change that very system if it's a problem. If the league has a problem with tanking, perhaps they should rethink the draft lottery.

For what it's worth, it appears from hints in the papers that Mario Lemieux, wearing his owner's hat, is not altogether happy about his team's recent record.

I thought that was the whole point of the draft lottery, to make sure teams dont tank the season purpose, I dont see how else the NHL could rethink the draft lottery, its a pretty fair system I think...give the 1st and 2nd to last teams a higher percentage in the draft?

McPhee is saying the reason why Tvrdon, Cutta and Yeats are in the NHL right now is to let portland have the best players available for them to make a drive into the playoffs and the more expendable players making sure the caps can atleast ice a full roster

Yeats actually seeing NHL minutes was completely out of left field...he's not even our prospect charts and hasnt shown any real promise in the AHL, let alone the NHL...Stana and Oullet both have earned the right to be in the NHL but I guess Army wants to go with the two goalie rotation throughout the playoffs

Cutta is another suprise, he's taking forever to develop and has been in Army's dog house for awhile now...the odd thing about it is that portland doesnt have much faith in the guy and deemed him expendable so he's in the NHL, you think it would be the other way around

But in the end I have to agree that the capitals are looking like they intend to make sure they lose the rest of the season and to get the best chance at drafting 1st or 2nd overall...what a pathetic season in DC this year

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I have to admit that the Caps appear to need a franchise forward more than most teams. But they're probably going to suck next season too, where-as the Pens will be improved enough that they won't be in contention for Crosby, IMO.

Gumby

Nov 14, 2003
By the beach!! FL
Visit site
roast said:
I think your franchise guy was scott stevens before they let him walk away. Bondra is also a franchise guy, yet he was dumped for some picks / prospect. Jagr was also a "franchise" player, yet he could never make it in WSH because they wouldn't let him play the wide open style that he played in Pittsburgh.

The caps have a very strong crop of young players, while A.O. would certainly be good for Pittsburgh, Washington, Chi, etc.

C'mon, I love Bondra as much as anyone but he's not close to a franchise player....by which I mean a 1st/2nd ballot HOFer. The Pens have had 2 in recent memory (1 of which was the best at his sport that I've ever seen.....didn't get into hockey till Gretz was outta Edmonton), and you can hardly equate the lazy unmotivated Jagr we got with him in his prime....he's a shell of what he was. Besides, considering what Pitt had to do with MAF this year how on earth do you expect them to be able to put out a decent team for Ovy to play with when they'll never get outta that lease in that revenue hell that Melon arena is? Yeah, I agree Stevens was the 1 franchise guy they've had but because of a tightass owner we had to suffer through for decades his prime was spent mocking us every time we saw him.....besides, as great as he is/was a stay at home d-man insn't exactly something to excite the masses.

The Pens had their turn (twice) now please let the Caps have 1!!

Gumby

Nov 14, 2003
By the beach!! FL
Visit site
Zherdev Fan said:
Blue Jackets have never won a lottery. The Hockey gods have shown an early dislike for the franchise. Plus, John Buccigross
(SP, obviously), the ESPN guy, curesed up by saying that we would win the lottery.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/columns/story?columnist=buccigross_john&id=1768282

C'mon now, the hockey gods not liking CBJ.....the names Nash and Zherdev (who's doin great btw) ring a bell? If you wanna see the hockey gods wrath I have 1 word for you.....VOLCHKOV!! :madfire:

Gumby

Nov 14, 2003
By the beach!! FL
Visit site
Evilo said:
I'm afraid Washington will win it.
It has to be the worst tanking since the Daigle fiasco.
I thought the rules meant that you had to put the best team on the ice?
Ah I guess I have to stop being bitter... it just bugs me to see The Penguins, Blue Jackets, Rangers and Hawks still trying, while the Caps simply don't.

I can understand your frustraion but last night Witt was hurt, thus leaving waiver pickup Brad Norton as arguably their best d-man....all against probably the best O in the league....I think the result was likely inevitable.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
b-mad said:
C'mon now, the hockey gods not liking CBJ.....the names Nash and Zherdev (who's doin great btw) ring a bell? If you wanna see the hockey gods wrath I have 1 word for you.....VOLCHKOV!! :madfire:

But have we ever won a draft lottery.

And what have the hockey gods done for us in Free Agent Signings? Jack****.

SwOOsh*

Like I said the Caps are definetly tanking right now. But you cannot say the Pens have tried not too. IMO the Pens situation is way more of a disgrace then anything, and that is why everyone mentions them when the word contraction comes up.

The Capitals tried to ice a good team at the start of the season and it didn't work. While Pittsburgh played an AHL team the whole season, sending down their best player MAF (because of money reasons which is a total joke), then again sending down another goalie who was playing decent for them Choido, and on and on...
Hussey being sent down when he scores two goals in two games, so don't act like your team hasn't been trying, especially when they play certain players on the PK and PP that definetly shouldn't be there.

If this was the other way around and the Pens were playing really poorly, you know you would be defending them, but just because it's backfiring you act like it's not happening.

Gumby

Nov 14, 2003
By the beach!! FL
Visit site
Drake1588 said:
In either event, both teams are going to draft a good player in the top five, so it should be good news for both clubs. We'll see at the lottery what happens. The last place team has missed out on the #1 overall pick for the last three years in a row.

Yeah, but finishing last guarantees either Ovechkin or Malkin, which will put me at great ease.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Zherdev Fan said:
But have we ever won a draft lottery.

And what have the hockey gods done for us in Free Agent Signings? Jack****.
haha i'd hardly call that a curse. how many teams have won the lottery? it's not like you guys have finished last 4 years in a row and lost the lottery every time. THAT i'd consider a curse.

just be happy that you're getting so many great players!

Gumby

Nov 14, 2003
By the beach!! FL
Visit site
Handsome B. Wonderful said:
What?

We've been icing what has been called a AHL roster all year and are playing amazing hockey. The team hasn't given less than 100% all season long. We've iced the best team we can all season.

The Capitals on the other hand have had 4 stars on their roster this season and still haven't been able to do crap and now they're icing an ECHL team despite having much better talent in the AHL than they're using.

What the Caps are doing is shameless.

They're trying to get their minor league team in the playoffs and get their young players some experience at that and playing in the playoffs, while not putting these youngsters that are extremely important to the future of the franchise in a losing, dead atmospere that the Caps locker room must be at this point...that's what they're doing!

And no more of this BS about Yeats being their 6th goalie.....Stana's hurt, Ouellett's battling for the playoffs (see above), and the rest are in juniors. Yeats was backing up in Portland and they weren't about to take Ouellett outta a playoff run. I know they shouldn't really be starting him but the situation is far from them just pulling someone outta roller hockey and puttin in net as some of you have acted like.

Gumby

Nov 14, 2003
By the beach!! FL
Visit site
Marshall said:
Jagr and Stevens are the only franchise players on that list. Kolzig, Bondra and Lang are all very good players, but calling them franchise players is a mistake.

Slightly........and I love the Caps. The Lang one has to be the funniest of the bunch.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
Dark Metamorphosis said:
haha i'd hardly call that a curse. how many teams have won the lottery? it's not like you guys have finished last 4 years in a row and lost the lottery every time. THAT i'd consider a curse.

just be happy that you're getting so many great players!

No, but the 2 Years(possibly 3) weve been eligable for the lottery, we've slid down. We also lost an Expansion Draft Coin Flip that gave us 4th Overall in 2000 instead of 3rd Overall.

(im not sure about how the lottery was conducted in 2000, but I think that the BLue Jackets had the % of a 3rd Place Team, and they slid down then. Does anyone remember how they did it in 2000?)

Last edited:

Gumby

Nov 14, 2003
By the beach!! FL
Visit site
Zherdev Fan said:
No, but the 2 Years(possibly 3) weve been eligable for the lottery, we've slid down.

(im not sure about how the lottery was conducted in 2000, but I think that the BLue Jackets had the % of a 3rd Place Team, and they slid down then. Does anyone remember how they did it in 2000?)

Who cares if you slid down if you wind up with Nash and Zherdev?

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
b-mad said:
Who cares if you slid down if you wind up with Nash and Zherdev?

But we missed out on Marian Gaborick, Nathan Horton, Eric Staal.

Im not saying we are the most deserving, but Id say its past due.

and besides, everybody knows its going to the team that people least talk about, Chicago.

Gumby

Nov 14, 2003
By the beach!! FL
Visit site
Zherdev Fan said:
But we missed out on Marian Gaborick, Nathan Horton, Eric Staal.

Im not saying we are the most deserving, but Id say its past due.

and besides, everybody knows its going to the team that people least talk about, Chicago.

LOL, probably. Honestly speaking though, given that he's only been in the country for half the season and already has 30 points....all of this while goin through all the BS with the Russian team and a total culture shock (does he even speak english?) I don't think I'd be too envious of anyone else....Zherdev could be the best of the bunch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad